Options

Edited: A few from tonight. Lol

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited May 31, 2013 in People
I used to work with this guy a few years ago. He is currently in between jobs and hired me to shoot a couple corporate headshot for his LinkedIn profile and to send along with his resume. We were chatting during the session and he mentioned he works as a bouncer when he needs extra money. He changed after the session so I decided to take a couple casual shots of him. Something a little edgy for his darker, bouncer side.

DSC_3082-Edit-X3.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited May 31, 2013
    I like the controlled lighting work at top and with the highlight following along the edges. That works! However, he looks more depressed than edgy with his head tipped down like that. So as a bouncer shot, it doesn't work for me. Maybe open up the darkness on the top of his arms more to make him appear more powerful? Crop less on the right? (same reason)
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    I agree with Dave. The lighting is wonderful, but having is head leaning downward makes the shot a bit depressing. Keeping his head up should do the trick. Also if you look at his eyes, they are looking slightly away from the camera. Make sure to tell him to look into the lens. It will leave a more compelling shot. I really do enjoy the lighting though.
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    Thanks guys. I don't disagree about the pose. I kept directing him to straighten his head but he'd tilt it again. I looked at his FB page and most of his photos have the same tilt. I do have a two more shots like this one, need to see if the one with the straight head is OK. He was also pursing his lips a lot, which I kept telling him not to do so I'm hoping the other shots don't have that issue.

In contrast to this shot, here are two of the 3 shots I took for his professional headshots. Love to hear what you think, especially on the skin. He has some very tiny acne bumps that I healed out but want to make sure it's not overdone. Doesn't look like it to me but I'd like other opinions. Any other comments are welcome too.

Oh.. and I don't necessarily like the watch in the 2nd shot. It seems a little casual to me but he insisted on wearing it.

DSC_3077-Edit-X3.jpg

DSC_3045-Edit-X3.jpg

My Smug Site
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    holy crap, what a difference!
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2013
    HAHA... big difference indeed.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    Your lighting is absolutely fantastic, YOU need to teach what to do.

Watch out for jacket creep. Leaning over, folding arms it will bunch in front and rise in the back. If your called on to do some clothing work got to watch out for that.
  • Options
    edited May 31, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Your lighting is absolutely fantastic, YOU need to teach what to do.

Watch out for jacket creep. Leaning over, folding arms it will bunch in front and rise in the back. If your called on to do some clothing work got to watch out for that.

Thanks Hack. I've come a long way, that's for sure. UGH... the jacket. I tried pulling and tucking that thing so much but I just couldn't get rid of the rolls and stuff.

My Smug Site