Options

First try at Cosplay!

watchmenwatchmen Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited June 11, 2013 in People
I'm usually a lurker not a poster, but since diva asked for more posts I thought I would act all confident and post! My friend is really into cosplay so I asked her if she would like a couple pics taken of her. So we got together and hit up the old part of town and even found a really neat parking garage to try out. I am extremely awkward around people I don't know and even people I do know but as soon as I get my camera out I'm ten times worse. Has anyone in my situation had any experience with a 50 stranger project? Or what did you do to help with the awkwardness of this whole photography thing?

DSC_4298.jpg

This was taken with my tamron 70-200 VC (which I am absolutely in love with btw) and a sb600 in a shoot thru umbrella.

DSC_4354.jpg

This one is with a 28-75 tamron and a sb600 in a shoot thru umbrella.

Oh and would love some contructive criticism on these. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    Very Nice.....kind of reminds me of Shirley MacLaine.

The first once is just "sweet", great job. Crazy contacts.
    On the second one don't like the arm just hanging out there, and whenever you rest the head on a hand ask them to just barely touch the hand so the face doesn't "bunch up." Would like the second one with a tighter crop.
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    I like the shots, but i'm not sure who she is supposed to be.. share? ;)
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2013
    Thanks Hack! Yeah I agree with the first one being the best. And the arm well I just don't ever know what to do with arms, hands, and legs. So I typically just let them be where they fall. My biggest downfall at the moment is posing I would really like a good website to learn the rules.

Foques I've been loving your cosplay stuff. Just awesome. As far as who she is I really think she just kinda made it up. She originally had a long coat and cat ears. But she lost her cat ears and it was too hot for the coat.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    I love these!!! (and thanks for posting - see nobody bites!! :)iloveyou.gifthumb.gif)

I actually don't mind the position of the arm, but I think "ballet hands" with just a little more shape would have fixed the problem. I actually really like the second shot - great connection with the camera and you've framed it into the background really well!!! Arguably having all of her feet might have been good, but not a dealbreaker for me.
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2013
    Thanks Diva! I promise I will post more now that I think I'm getting to a level I'm more comfortable showing my work. All you amazing photographers on this site set the bar so dang high!
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    watchmen wrote: »
    Foques I've been loving your cosplay stuff. Just awesome. As far as who she is I really think she just kinda made it up. She originally had a long coat and cat ears. But she lost her cat ears and it was too hot for the coat.

thank you very much, I credit that to luck, Diva, Cuban and a handful of others on this board. :)
    That's the best kind of characters, the original ones.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    I like both shots a lot! I think the "bunched up" face that Hackbone refers to is, in this case, part of the attitude that appeals to me...she is projecting a character and the slight pout helps. I agree that a slight roundness to the hand would have enhanced the shot. Regardless, nicely done!
  • Options
    PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2013
    watchmen wrote: »
    Thanks Diva! I promise I will post more now that I think I'm getting to a level I'm more comfortable showing my work. All you amazing photographers on this site set the bar so dang high!

I couldn't agree with this more. It is often intimidating posting work with the likes of this crew. As Diva has said though, they don't bite... too hard :-) I have found the tips and critiques to be VERY helpful. I will agree with what the others have said, but also add that I would be very happy if either had come from my camera. I like the first better for what it is worth, but mostly for the closeness to the camera and those eyes. Great work!
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    All you amazing photographers on this site set the bar so dang high!

Ok, guys, really - if you're including me in that group who are "setting the bar high" ... I sure didn't start there, but LEARNED. Mostly from dgrinners (and certainly initially from dgrinners - I didn't look for more formal classes until AFTER I got my feet wet here). Do me a favor and go back and look here and here and here. Seriously. If it weren't for this place I would never have progressed BEYOND that. I had passion and a bit of an instinctive eye and ZERO technique - I credit any skill I may have to the kind folks here and stupid amounts of practice (along with stupid numbers of REALLY BAD SHOTS. C'mon, you just HAVE to know that none of us -no matter what level - share the garbage, right??!?!?! rolleyes1.gif)
    I like both shots a lot! I think the "bunched up" face that Hackbone refers to is, in this case, part of the attitude that appeals to me...she is projecting a character and the slight pout helps. I agree that a slight roundness to the hand would have enhanced the shot. Regardless, nicely done!

Hehehe - we're on the same page again, clearly - exactly my thoughts :)