Options

Getty Image Invite

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 11, 2013 in People
Hey guys...

So I just received an email via my Flickr account. The email is an invitation from Getty Images to add 6 photos they selected to their stock image library. I know Getty Images is one of the largest stock image libraries. What I don't know if this is some spam email. It doesn't appear so based on the a cursory search on Google and the fact that the email includes thumbs of the specific images.

Any one else get one of these emails? I'm kind of stoked but not sure if I should be. Have to read the contract to see what the deal is on licensing the photos to them. Anyone else have photos on Getty Images and was it worth it to you?
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2012
    Can't help you there but if it is true a big CONGRATS to you!!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Can't help you there but if it is true a big CONGRATS to you!!

Thanks Chuck. Yeah... I've searched some more and it doesn't appear to be spam. Appears to be a legit email. It's pretty cool I think. Even if I don't submit my photos or if I do, that they ever get used. Still pretty stoked they would even consider my shots for this.

BTW, I also got one one of my photos of the rice terraces in the Philippines selected by Nat Geo for their stock library. Nothing's come of it but I thought that was pretty cool too.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    Right place, right time, and the knowledge to know what to do with it.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    This is terrific news. clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Absolutely submit the images!

Sam
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    Can't promise it's not spam but Getty has an agreement of sorts with Flickr so this smells legit.

Assuming it is CONGRATULATIONSclap.gifclap
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    clearly you should include a shirtless one!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2012
    Can't promise it's not spam but Getty has an agreement of sorts with Flickr so this smells legit.

Assuming it is CONGRATULATIONSclap.gifclap

^x2
    You deserve it.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Carlos
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2012
    thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif (wait . . . I only have two?!?)
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2012
    yeehaw I am rubbing elbows with the right people!! I knew it all along. Congrats, that is truly outstanding.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    I know Getty Images is one of the largest stock image libraries. What I don't know if this is some spam email. It doesn't appear so based on the a cursory search on Google and the fact that the email includes thumbs of the specific images.

It probably is not spam...depending on how you set up your Flickr account. A lot of people might not have noticed this, but in your Flickr account settings, under Privacy & Permissions, there is a item way down near the bottom that says "Make your photos eligible for invitation by Getty Images?"

If your account has one of the two yes options selected, the email probably isn't spam. You can of course double-check the URLs (visible and hidden) in the email to make sure they do come from Getty, but it's more likely that your images were seen by their editors and they liked them. Which is nice!

If your account has the "no thanks" option selected then you should not be getting those emails and the likelihood is higher that it might be spam. The theory there is that since it is a known option, some scammer might try to appeal to the egos of some random Flickrites.

But I'll bet what happened is maybe you didn't realize the Getty option was there, and it was on, and Getty saw your photos and decided they were awesome. Hopefully that's what it is!
  • Options
    Thanks guys. It's definitely not spam. I already check with Getty Images and it's legit. Very cool. I'm looking over the contract just to make sure I understand what I'm signing up for before I submit my images. Have to get a model releases for them but that should not be a problem.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2012
    cool - Im a Getty contributor as well - but just for a 2 months - If they sent a invite , they sent u inv for two Getty Groups on Flickr as well. Just Join :)

Congratulations!!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    Good for you dude!clap.gif
  • Options
    leitmotifleitmotif Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2012
    BTW, I also got one one of my photos of the rice terraces in the Philippines selected by Nat Geo for their stock library. Nothing's come of it but I thought that was pretty cool too.

Cheers to you! I remembered that post, the old guy and the wooden bikes!
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2012
    Congrats

I know they have copyrights on a lot of the Nascar photos.
    I think this would be a great way to sell/rights to some of your photos.

Chuck Cassidy,
    D300S, 50mm 1.4D,
    18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR,
    www.icurdigital.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    Sorry for the necro-post but I just received the invite as well. Any word on your experience since?
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2013
    I've seen had quite a number of images selected which I've submitted. I actually get at least one image request with every upload I do to Flickr. The cool thing is that I've actually had 4 images sold through Getty Images. Further, I'm actually working on getting some of my images setup on a Royalty contract. Images picked up through the Flickr Contributor agreement are all Royalty Free so you get paid once.

In summary, it's been great. Aside from getting a model/property release and uploading the photos to Getty, it's little effort and the upside is you can earn some extra cash.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    Thanks for the quick response, I haven't read the contract/terms just yet but what rights do you give up by licensing your images? Basically I want to know if I can still sell my own images as fine art prints if have licensed them.
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    you can still sell them as fine art prints in limited numbers. at least in the contract I have through Getty
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2013
    That I recall, the only thing you cannot do is sell them to be used commercially.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

My Smug Site