Options

Behind the scenes of my last couple fashion shoots.

michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
edited June 14, 2013 in People
So for those who might be out of the loop. Out of all the craziness of May and June, I started a collaboration project with another photographer, a makeup artist, and an assistant. We sat down, discussed ideas, and turned it into a reality.

Dgrin, meet the crew:

1. 1951559_orig.jpg
2. 4880770_orig.jpg
3. 3975508_orig.jpg

I can't stress how awesome Cady is at makeup. Here is how we pulled off each look.

First model: Casie

4. 1417504_orig.jpg
5. 1278054_orig.jpg
6. 3441816_orig.jpg
7. 2772084_orig.jpg

*BAM*

8. 8760792_orig.jpg

Second model: Dana

9. 9922225_orig.jpg
10. 9737810_orig.jpg
11. 7975375_orig.jpg
12. 6380581_orig.jpg
13. 130375_orig.jpg

*BAM*

14. 519682_orig.jpg

Third model: Nicole

15. 7389370_orig.jpg
16. 6618976_orig.jpg
17. 2031340_orig.jpg
18. 6385254_orig.jpg
19. 9923320_orig.jpg

*BAM*

20. 6130604_orig.jpg

Collab posts on Dgrin: part one, part two, and part three

The rest of this blog post can be found here.
wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com

Comments

• Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    I like Stan's boots

on topic: very cool! thanks for sharing. Did you know Cady, Stan and Laura before hand or did you put out a call for people?
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    A fantastic idea. Nice work. Try to check out some of Robert Alvarado's before and after. Make-up artist really makes a big difference.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    MUA is a HUGE part of a lot of styles!!!

This is a great series MG - loved the results, and love seeing the BTS. Thanks for sharing!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    michaelglennmichaelglenn Registered Users Posts: 442 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2013
    I like Stan's boots

on topic: very cool! thanks for sharing. Did you know Cady, Stan and Laura before hand or did you put out a call for people?

I was jealous of his boots..especially over by those jetties in his picture. My shoes got soaked! And he was completely fine rolleyes1.gif

I've known Cady for a while now. We worked at the movie theater many moons ago. She would always post pictures of her makeup artist work, and recently her stuff has been stellar. As soon as I told her my ideas, she was in on it. Laura is actually my girlfriend, and she wanted to help with the shoot. She helped assist some bags here and there, so I was glad to have her around during the shoots. I met Stan through Laura. They both intertwine with their group of friends. As soon as we got on the subject of photography, we both hit it off. Me and Stan work very well together. We both use natural light very similarly, and we were able to bounce ideas off each other very easily. I also knew two out of the three models already, and I knew they would all fit the themes I was going for.

The coolest thing about the collaboration was that I designed it to benefit everyone. Cady got a ton of exposure (about 4 or 5 job offerings) because of these themed sessions. Stan has a ton of fresh material for his portfolio. Each model got a disc of their session for free. I now have enough material to market myself as a fashion/editorial photographer (and move away from the wedding scene). The entire collaboration was an awesome experience to say the least.

Hackbone wrote: »
    A fantastic idea. Nice work. Try to check out some of Robert Alvarado's before and after. Make-up artist really makes a big difference.

Thanks Charles! MUA's make a huge difference. This was my first time using one, and I have to say it totally blew non MUA work out of the water. I'll definitely check Robert Alvarado's work thumb.gif
    divamum wrote: »
    MUA is a HUGE part of a lot of styles!!!

This is a great series MG - loved the results, and love seeing the BTS. Thanks for sharing!! thumb.gif

Thanks Diva! It was a ton of work, but it was worth it. I got out of my comfort zone completely. If anything, it makes me want to do more work like this and find ways to improve my craft. :D
    wedding portfolio michaelglennphoto.com
    fashion portfolio michaelglennfashion.com
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2013
    Best of luck starting out the new work. It should work out stellar for you.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2013
    cool stuff. I love seeing seeing behind the scene shots.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,276 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2013
    Very cool...thanks for sharing!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2013