PB2SMUG: New PBase to Smugmug migration tool (download here)

arjunrcarjunrc Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
Updated Oct 17 2014: Only the download from PBase works. Upload to SM does not work because SM deprecated the API I was using. Its an easy fix, but I no longer use Smugmug. If anyone wants to modify the code, please feel free to do so. If you open the EXE file with any unzip program, you'll find pb2smuggui.pl in it - thats the perl source code.

Updated Jul 23: Downloading and uploading of multiple/nested galleries from/to PBase/SmugMug now supported. Please be careful while uploading multiple galleries to SmugMug. Use of prefix option in uploader GUI is HIGHLY recommended when uploading a bazillion directories.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Hi,
Here is a tool (for windows only) that will allow you to easily migrate your PBase galleries and blogs to Smugmug.
It's really two tools in one
a) It allows you to download any PBase gallery/galleries (images, title, captions, gallery description) to your local hard disk and creates a nice browsable HTML file
b) It allows you to upload a previously downloaded gallery/galleries to Smugmug

For help, when the program starts, click on Menu->Usage option

You can download and upload in one go, or download today and upload later. Your choice.

DOWNLOAD LINK: HERE (look for PBGrab)

Obligatory screen shot:

Here I am migrating my switzerland gallery (including any nested galleries) in PBase to SM. Since I've specified a prefix, the SM galleries will be called pb2smug_switzerland and so forth.

i-zjRbb96-XL.png

Happy downloading and uploading.

(PS: OF course, you can also use this just to upload your own photos to SM even if they are not downloaded by this program, but you just need to make sure its organized the way it expects - I'll leave it as an exercise for the interested user to figure it out :wink)

Comments

• htbyronhtbyron Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2012
    Well done!
    Kudos to the OP. This is an excellent and simple piece of software. clap.gif

Note that (as he explained) it will not work to download from nested galleries in pbase. An earlier version of the program would download pre-2009 nested galleries, and may still be available. For photos posted in 2009 or after, however, you will need to specify the name of each gallery to download from (as I understand it, this limitation is due to a decision made by pbase, which prevents any easier or more straightforward downloading). This is still far better than any other alternative and the effort is much appreciated. It works especially well when you download and upload in a single step, saving lots of effort.

You do not need to create the target gallery in smugmug ahead of time. If you enter the name you want for the smugmug gallery, PB2SMUG will create it for you and put your uploads in that new gallery -- this is a big timesaver.
  • arjunrcarjunrc Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    Thanks Tom.
    I will attempt to suck recursive galleries in the next version. But I have a question on the Smugmug side: Based on my prelim reading, Smugmug galleries are actually flat and you only use Categories to create an impression of nested galleries, with such galleries being 2 or 3 levels deep only. Is that correct?

If that is the case, how would you prefer the nested galleries of PBase to be migrated to SM? All of them as a flat set of galleries under maybe a new Category (say PB2SMUG) and let the user move them around later?
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2012
    arjunrc wrote: »
    Thanks Tom.
    I will attempt to suck recursive galleries in the next version. But I have a question on the Smugmug side: Based on my prelim reading, Smugmug galleries are actually flat and you only use Categories to create an impression of nested galleries, with such galleries being 2 or 3 levels deep only. Is that correct?

If that is the case, how would you prefer the nested galleries of PBase to be migrated to SM? All of them as a flat set of galleries under maybe a new Category (say PB2SMUG) and let the user move them around later?
    Arjun, other migration apps like SmuggLr move nested galleries into the "Other" Category and users can then move the galleries from there. So your thinking was correct. I can't think of any better way to work with those galleries at the moment.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited July 18, 2012
    Thanks Nick. That makes it simpler
    edited July 22, 2012
    the new version supports downloading/uploading nested galleries. First post updated.
  • thebuschthebusch Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2013
    Arjun, thanks very much for this tool! Works just fine. One question: what happens if some of the photos already exist on Smugmug during the upload?

After trying it out, I found if an image already exists a duplicate will be made. Wish that wasn't so!
    Busch

Take the scenic route. Life is too short to do otherwise.
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2013
    thebusch wrote: »
    After trying it out, I found if an image already exists a duplicate will be made. Wish that wasn't so!
    If the original filenames are the same (ie smugmug would recognize it as a duplicate), then I have a small tool that can help with finding duplicates. It's not perfect, so PM if you want a link to try it.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
    edited June 28, 2013
    Hi Busch, apologies for the late response. I'm glad the tool helped you a bit. I've actually removed my smugmug account so I don't really have a setup to make improvements to this tool. I hope Samir's tool can solve that additional issue (thanks Samir!).

regds
    arjun
  • RobRRobR Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Invalid Method when using PB2SMUG
    I tried using PB2SMUG. It failed. I've got Win7. It downloaded from PBase, but it didn't upload. When I retried the upload, I immediately got an "Invalid Method" error.

RobR
  • HalfabeanHalfabean Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 9, 2013
    Hey, just wanted to say, I tried using this and it won't run at all. I'm using windows 7 and every time I click on the application a black command prompt box will appear for a split second and then disappear.
    Also, there are only two files in the folder;
    pb2smug.dat
    pb2smug.exe
    I would really like to use this, but it won't run! Is there anything special I need to do or something? Please help! :) Thank you for making this!

-HB
  • revdocjimrevdocjim Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2014
    I get the same thing as Halfabean
    Is anyone able to get this app to work on Windows 7?
    edited October 17, 2014
    It works on Win 7. Please give it 2 mins to start the first time. Only the PBase downloading part works --> SM upload does not work because they changed the API and I don't have an SM acct. anymore