Options

Auto ISO and flash

Bob StoryBob Story Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited June 18, 2013 in Cameras
Does anyone know if its possible to have a Nikon D300s on Shutter preferred with auto ISO and have a flash set to a manual setting. Every combination I have tried with the flash set to manual the camera turns off the auto ISO as soon as the flash is turned on. I have the flash on the hot shoe.
Bob

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    Auto ISO + flash is often a poor combination - the two readings just get confused and can lead to unpredictable camera behaviour and exposures. If you're using flash, just pick an appropriate ISO and go for it. The Nikon iTTL flash system is extremely sophisticated and typically yields GREAT exposures (and I say this as an envious Canon shooter!)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited June 18, 2013
    I think that you need to use a simple manual flash, or tape the extra contacts on an automated flash so that the camera does not detect the flash mode.

I cannot imagine a scenario or situation where that combination would be beneficial, however.

Perhaps if you would describe what it is that you are trying to accomplish? (Why is the combination of Shutter Priority Auto-ISO and Manual Flash important?)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Bob StoryBob Story Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2013
    Thanks,
    Taping the first two contact points worked, the flash fires but the camera does not detect it.
    I shoot zip line photography and have a few workers that just don't understand exposure that well.
    We shoot about 4 shots within 3 seconds of each person so if you use the flash in TTL it will use to much charge for the first shot and doesn't have time to recharge for the last shots. By putting the flash on 1/4 power it will fill in a little on each shot. At the moment I have a table with shutter speed, ISO and flash settings for them to follow, but it is pretty hard for them to understand. We shoot under low light conditions in the trees with shadows and clouds racing by and not much time to think about exposure. By removing the ISO worries it will make it a little easier.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited June 18, 2013
    Bob Story wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Taping the first two contact points worked, the flash fires but the camera does not detect it.
    I shoot zip line photography and have a few workers that just don't understand exposure that well.
    We shoot about 4 shots within 3 seconds of each person so if you use the flash in TTL it will use to much charge for the first shot and doesn't have time to recharge for the last shots. By putting the flash on 1/4 power it will fill in a little on each shot. At the moment I have a table with shutter speed, ISO and flash settings for them to follow, but it is pretty hard for them to understand. We shoot under low light conditions in the trees with shadows and clouds racing by and not much time to think about exposure. By removing the ISO worries it will make it a little easier.

That's a very unique application, and an ingenious solution to the problem.

You might also try a strong negative flash exposure compensation and an external flash battery pack (assuming an SB-800, SB-900, SB-80 DX, etc.). That should allow more complete automation, along with a very high recycle rate.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    That's a very unique application, and an ingenious solution to the problem.

thumb.gif