Options

New Logos - need feedback please

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited June 26, 2013 in People
I decided to give making a logo another go. Here is where I ended up.

Which do you like the best or do you hate them all. Keep in mind that my "brand focus" is portraiture.
i-vWPxVvh.png

i-gNXmDFw.png

I don't have a larger shot of this one loaded. It is semi transparent so the background looks slightly different than #2 but it would look identical on my site and other stuff aside from the silhouette of the woman:

i-bXKbmk2.png
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2013
    okay so here goes..

I like the 1st one best actually but if i just saw the logo I might think you were a landscape guy.

the 2nd one, the lady actually looks like a fish from the top.

3rd one is good as well but all of sudden I picture you as a chick because of the chick in the logo.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2013
    In #2 I thought the woman was a Koi. I like #3 the best, but have the same concerns as Qarik.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2013
    Great feedback. OK. I agree Daniel that the first one gives the impression that I"m a landscape dude. And yes, the second one, the figure is too abstract at that small size.

OK... so the third... what if I added a couple or family? How about if instead, I go with a male silhouette?

You may not be able to conceptualize those changes so maybe I'll try them out and post them.

Any other plays on this concept?

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    OK... so the third... what if I added a couple or family? How about if instead, I go with a male silhouette?

that might work..something like this

i-SZZN6qq-M.jpg
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2013
    If you add a family now will it represent your photography in 5 to 10 years? Your trying to build a brand that spans time. I really like your name section without the art.
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    Good point Hack...

Here is a different graphic I was playing around with that may be more timeless:

i-CjJ2PwJ.png

Not quite done... just a concept. I don't know that I like the bevel around the square.

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    I like it much better but the AS is a little hard to read when it will only be seen for 3 sec.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I like it much better but the AS is a little hard to read when it will only be seen for 3 sec.

I can see how the AS is too abstract. What about this concept?

i-R8JmkJt.png

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2013
    I really like this one. Don't know if the psychology has changed but at one time shades of browns/cream were very warming and inviting. (if you want to play that game). I like your choice of the darker color. Just to see what happens could you pick some of the lighter color that is in the lens and make that color your name but keep the color of photography? You name really comes forward very quickly ( brighter colors come forward) wondering what it would look like toned down.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    Just a random thought....with the new font for your name it's a lot more spread out and I'm wondering what if photography still stretched most of the way across but didn't have the same end point as the absolute ends of the name. With the A it works but for the O it's a bit of a ways up till the letter starts.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2013
    looks good now.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2013
    I like the last one the best. The blades although a common visual in alot of logos related to photgraphers was used in placement of a letter so its pretty cool. Because your name has a good spread try adding "Photography" to spand the length of Sotelo just for kicks. I like the idea of keeping the blades the same color as "photography". Sometimes we all want that iconic logo but in some instances we have to make our name a logo on its own. I would maybe keep the blades a solid color so in the future you can always change the colorway depending where you place it. When I was putting mines together i thought ahead and decided to actually make my logo 1 color.. the secondary color is made by whatever its layed on because its just negative space (this is where I appreciate my graphic design background). I would only have to worry about changing 1 color whenever I use it for watermarks, shirts etc.

side note... the blade in the bottom right has a thinner outline then the rest.