Options

Fashion

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited June 26, 2013 in People
I've got a shoot coming up where I need to do more fashion work and since it's been awhile I went out with a friend for a quick shoot to brush up, let me know what you think:

i-vGb25Ck.jpg

I should have a few more shots to post up soon, just haven't had much time to work on them.

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    it really depends on the final usage of the image. This would be terrible for any kind of catalog/product type images but kinda works as maybe "branding" type of shot where you associate the bikini line with some kind of imagery (look and feel). the image also needs to be part of a set imo as it is not quite strong enough to stand on it's own.

just evaluating it on its own merits though..some technical issues but I kinda like the vibe of the shot.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    it really depends on the final usage of the image. This would be terrible for any kind of catalog/product type images but kinda works as maybe "branding" type of shot where you associate the bikini line with some kind of imagery (look and feel). the image also needs to be part of a set imo as it is not quite strong enough to stand on it's own.

just evaluating it on its own merits though..some technical issues but I kinda like the vibe of the shot.

That's more of what I'm going for so that's good. What technical issues do you see other than too much shadow going on? I pretty much was relearning all of this on the fly so anything you can tell me will help.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2013
    well too much shadow is the big issue for me. the crinkly bikini bottom makes it look ill fitting as well
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2013
    Work with a stylist so that you can concentrate on the light. Simple trick: Get a small softbox to light the models face and then a larger softbox (with a grid) to light the clothing and the models body. Use a reflector for fill if you don't have access to a third light :) - Shoot tethered whenever possible. If you are concentrating on catalogue - then it's not really the time to be creative. I know - boring right? I've done more creative portraits in my personal work than in my commercial work. Best thing I've learned how to do --- fill the frame with the model and don't worry so much about the background. Filling the frame properly is harder than it looks. Good luck!!! Oh - last piece of advice -- that whole rule of thirds thing has no place in catalogue work - you have to shoot in the center and be able to crop for all ratios :) this will keep the creative director's smiling :) and will ensure your next gig.
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com