Options

First Portrait Shoot

jason442jason442 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited July 2, 2013 in People
Hi Guys, this is my first portrait shoot (I've taken lots of pics of the fam, but that's about it). Comments welcomed.

06_27_2013_185118_zps134b9d69.jpg
06_27_2013_192014_zps5610885c.jpg
06_27_2013_191539_zps82a7f58d.jpg
06_27_2013_190510_zps979fd706.jpg
06_27_2013_190321_zps9afbfee6.jpg
06_27_2013_190159_zps1ff58c91.jpg
06_27_2013_190118_zps1e814626.jpg
06_27_2013_190010_zps744c23f4.jpg
06_27_2013_185605_zpsbc5a04fb.jpg

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2013
    Thanks for posting and keep doing so.

First off you've got some very nice exposures and color, much better than the average.

Your posing brings the group together nicely and pleasing to the eye for most of these. 1-4-5-6-7 especially.

Watch out for bright areas especially bright leading lines. #1 has a little exposure problem and the bright bottom left corner needs to be toned down but the legs, bodies and heads are very pleasing formations. Fix these and put a vignette on it and it would really stand out. Back to those leading lines, turn the shot upside down and i'll bet your eyes go to those lines everytime and not their faces. You handled the fence nicely in #3 as it doesn't distract as much as the others. See how the bright spot on the bench in #2 now grabs your eye if your thinking bright areas. While we are on bright areas look at how the arms stand out and grab you. If they had sleeves it would have helped.

I also like #5 with a better cropping to rid the leading lines on the right. This one is a great pose. #9 is a neat idea but would you want it on your wall with the back of that hand and the other persons bright arm staring at you?

Hope I wasn't too mean but you honestly have the start of some really nice work here. A few corrections of minor details would make them outstanding.
  • Options
    jason442jason442 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2013
    Thanks for the comments and appreciate the feedback! Btw u were not harsh, it was constructive criticism that I can use to get better and is why I posted, so thanks!
  • Options
    wellsie82wellsie82 Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 30, 2013
    some nice shots there - like the natural setting you've chosen & the inclusion of the wooden fence on your last few - really gives your subjects something to lean on to relax them
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2013
    wonderful. wish my first portrait shoot had gone this well!
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2013
    Colors and exposures are pretty good. Posing could use some work but great job for your first time out.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    kshayskshays Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2013
    Hi Jason,

Nice work! Hackbone is correct, you want some type of lines or angles that will lead you to your center of interest (their faces) without the user knowing this. I am going to post mostly on composition and others may have different opinions or suggestions also. I also tend to focus in tighter doing portraits and use a f-stop around 1.8-2.4 unless it's a group shot.

1-move subjects from center to either side a small amount. I just don't like things in the dead center is all :)
    3-nice composition (watch out for the pole beside his head, a little distracting. Perhaps have them move to their right (your left) just a hair or process so it doesn't have as much attention to it.
    4-Move out of center slightly and watch out for trees/objects shooting straight from her head up. Personally I don't like objects coming from someones head. Sometimes we find out after taking the picture this happened.
    6/7- i like. I would blur the background more and put more focus on their faces and possibly a vignette.
    9-bring in just a little tighter on the left perhaps to see what it looks like.

Hope I didn't sound too harsh. It's just constructive criticism, we are all here to help each other :) You did a wonderful job first time around.

Kevin