Options

custom camera mount- engineering help

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited July 3, 2013 in Accessories
I need to make or repurpose something for a solid camera mount that will rotate in one direction only, by a fixed amount, somewhere between 25 and 45 degrees (tbd later).

The camera mount part is fairly easy, a screw of the right diameter to go into the tripod thread on the camera, and a board to mount the screw under the camera. But then I'd want to be able to easily rotate the camera up by 25 degrees, in a single click. I want to completely limit rotation to one direction.

A crank with a wider range would be ok, but I'd only be using a single increment, and I want that single increment to be fairly foolproof (childproof) to set.

Any ideas? I'm drawing a blank on an existing product to use, or how to make this. I want it to be really cheap too.
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited July 2, 2013
    I suggest using a simple hinge design and a wedge, or series of wedges, made of structural plastic or aluminum, machined to the desired angle.

When the mating surfaces of the hinged mount* are together, you're at "home" position. Insert the wedge to progress to the desired angular deflection.

A spring could be used to return the rig automatically to home, and to keep tension on the assembly when the wedge is inserted.

Different wedges could be designed for different angles, and marked accordingly.
    The main feature is: wedge out = home position; wedge in = deflection.

*(The mount itself could be made of wood or structural plastic or aluminum. Anything easy to work with.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited July 2, 2013
    Also check this thread out for another type of inspiration:

[thread=45691]Cheap Panos[/thread]

While it was designed for panoramic applications, and up to 360 degrees, you could engineer it for just two settings. (Never mind that I was using it incorrectly in the images. Folks corrected me and I learned to do better. thumb.gif)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2013
    One approach would be to use 'stops' ... in a similar way to those used on bike derailleur systems to control how far the chain shifters travel.
    Second would be to use a simple quadrant (very simple version of that used with dividing heads for gear cutting) with a couple of holes in it and fixed in the correct position with a dowel / pin.

First has the advantage (if you use threaded stops with locknuts) of being adjustable ... so if you're not sure what angle you actually need (in absolute degree figures) you use a 'suck it and see' approach to get the 'desired' angle ... without knowing what it is ... and then lock up the stops.

All possible with a whole range of material.

A couple of commercial heads come to mind that could be easily converted (assuming locking off unwanted axes is acceptable)

Sinar tilt + shift ... very expensive but solid and rare to find used
    Gitzo PL5 - 3 axis , built like a tank, and cheaper (I bought one for £12 including p+p off fleabay)

pp

Edit
    Another thought using 2 hinges.
    One is used for tilting thro the required angle
    Second - when opened out is used as a stop to maintain the required angle

In essence, a folding triangular prism ... 3 planes, 2 pivots, one lock :)
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2013
    Thanks-

I found a $19 Manfrotto tilt head on KEH to get started- I can glue some hard stops onto that I guess, while I try to reverse engineer it, or try one of the suggestions above. I hadn't thought about using hinges, and p.Paul- thanks for the terminology, it has helped me with searching for things to modify or build.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.