Mini-Challenge #167 - Winners and HMs

EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
edited July 3, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
What a excellent group of images - thanks again to all who participated!
As many before me have expressed, it was a tough, but pleasant task to narrow the field (71 images) to 9 Hms and 3 winners.
I felt that every submission very-well expressed the theme, and I was pleased to find - as I anticipated - a very diverse group of images with many
types of "faces" captured; Art, animals, people, rocks, water, wood, street, portrait, candid, humorous, quirky, beautiful.... you folks brought them all, and I enjoyed them all - that's why I chose this theme!

So, on to the results - I could have selected many more HMs, but you have to draw the line somewhere!

Honorable Mentions in no particular order:

DawnyaLynn
Sonya-L.jpg
I like this as a "semi-formal" type portrait - the woman is lovely, and the setting and treatment create a dreamy mood - very nice!

redleash
i-pnX2bRj-L.jpg
What a great candid moment captured! The intensity, physical presence, and character make it really eye-catching and cool.

superduckz
p1431649226-4.jpg
What a fun catch! Great poses (hams aren't they?) and the shot makes me want to pet their fuzzy noses and give them a carrot!

travelways
dali%27s-art-16-L.jpg
I love Dali, and this image (presentation, composition, and lighting) helped me experience a display I'll likely never see in person - nice shot!

bfluegie
20120624-DSC_0437-L.jpg
I love cats (got 3 of 'em) even more than Dali, so this fine portrait of Skitz (what a pretty kitty!) caught my eye - great technicals.

DonRicklin
IMGP7162-L.jpg
It takes a keen eye and a fertile imagination to catch these "hidden" faces - nice work Don!

rainbow
i-B629rzL-L.jpg
Really liked all of your images - picked this one for the story told here and the anticipation of another story told when her "face" is finished.

fjcvisual
i-G6LzFPD-XL.jpg
All of your images are powerful... But, this one - so very well - shows us what we often experience with faces - the eyes say it all.

kdotaylor
i-NCg93KW-M.jpg
I love this portrait - color, lighting, freckles... but most of all, the charming innocence-of-youth expressed in her face and gaze.

Third Place - Gaby617
9144844805_0b8bcc22c1_b.jpg
Superbly toned, sharp, B&W, nicely incorporating what is not expected in a portrait - a fence and an asymmetrical, partial face... cool!

Second Place - Alans Grin
IMG_0566-2-XL.jpg
I am always wow'ed when an image (in such a compelling way) takes me from my little part of the world, to other places and peoples.
Awesome capture of humanity and culture, and an excellent composition.

First Place - CHANDLERJA
AN7O9967s2b2B-XL.jpg
An exceptional wildlife image! I picked this as First because of the sheer beauty of the image. This subject is often a challenge to capture well (I've tried)
because of the tricky lighting and environments they are usually found in... you did a great job!
And remember - a Handsome Prince is just a kiss away ;-)

Thanks again Dgrinners- this was way fun!
Best Wishes, Eric
Eric ~ Smugmug

Comments

• Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2013
    Many thanks Eric for the 2nd place and a great competition.

Congratulations on the win CHANDLERJA, I really love the frog shot and I usually prefer wildlife to people (no offence anyone!).
    As ever, some lovely images from all and I really enjoyed seeing them.

Alan.
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2013
    Thanks Eric for the HM and the category! That was fun! Some tough choices but I agree with the winner. Remarkable photo!
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2013
    Thank you Eric!! wings.gif

Lots of great images here!! VERY proud to be chosen as the winner!!
    Now to think of something interesting for my mini!

Thanks again!!
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2013
    Hey, Eric!

Nice collection of winners and HMs. Tough choices made well. Kudos to the winners, HMs and all participants.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2013
    superduckz wrote: »
    Thanks Eric for the HM and the category! That was fun! Some tough choices but I agree with the winner. Remarkable photo!

Ditto, fun stuff. thumb.gif

Don

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 736 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2013
    Hi Eric. Thanks for a great challenge theme and for the honorable mention. There were so many excellent entries and I enjoyed them all. Congrats to the winners.
    ~~Barbara
  • Gaby617Gaby617 Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2013
    Wow! Very cool to get 3rd place considering its my first time ever entering any kind of picture contest. Congrats to all the HMS, Alans Grin and Chanderlja.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2013
    Congrats, Chanderja! Thanks, Eric, for a terrific challenge . . . and for the HM.

This was one of the best subjects for a challenge and resulted in a truly enjoyable collection of images!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DawnyaLynnDawnyaLynn Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 3, 2013
    Thanks so much.
    I am so honored for the honorable mention. The woman is my daughter. This was taken Thanksgiving Day of 2012 and we were with family when she asked if I brought my camera. Of course I did, she wanted me to take some photos of her, and when I went to edit them and found this. I was floored. This is my favorite photo of her. This was totally not planned, she like the setting, I loved the setting and we used what was around us. Thanks again for the honorable mention.