A hummingbird a gnatcatcher and a Hawk go into a tree

Hunter58Hunter58 Registered Users Posts: 723 Major grins
edited July 10, 2013 in Wildlife
I was taking some shots of a Red-shouldered Hawk that had landed in a tree above me when I noticed a humming bird and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher flew out when it landed.
p1723785499-5.jpg

The Blue-gray Gnatcatcher was not all too happy about this and proceeded to go in for the kill! He beaned the hawk right in the head!
p1634581918-5.jpg

Here the Gnatcatcher is retreating after the beaning. Hawk didn’t know what hit it.
p1681239281-5.jpg

The Gnatcatcher wasn’t about to give up just yet. Here comes bean number two! The hawk although a little annoyed isn’t leaving.
p1705240322-5.jpg

“Oh no not again!” says the hawk.
p1849993791-5.jpg

The hawk got beaned 4 times. I tried to capture it but that speedy little gnatcatcher was too fast for me. The hawk finally did fly off with two gnatcatchers chasing it. Due to the good nature of the hummingbird it did not get involved in any of the violence.

(No birds were harmed in the making of this documentary. However the hawk’s feelings were definitely hurt)

Comments

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2013
    Great series! Well captured.
  • rtbaumrtbaum Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 4, 2013
    If the hummingbird is like those in my backyard, it had just got finished beaning the gnatcatcher
  • Jocko123Jocko123 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited July 8, 2013
    Great entertaining shots. Yes, my little hummingbirds are meaner than a snake! Especially towards one another and protecting their own feeder.
  • camillercamiller Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    Super shots! That Gnatcatcher is a brave little thing. It reminds me of Mockingbirds.
    Cindy