Options

Long Black Cornrolls

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2013
    Pretty sure the word you were looking for was cornrows, and those are not cornrows, they are dreadlocks. Dreads on white people gross me right the hell out, so I'm afraid the image is ruined for me. Otherwise I think it was well executed on your part, but I wish we could see her eyes.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2013
    dreads on a good looking girl are awesome :D
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2013
    Long black cornrolls? That got me. Didn't have any idea what you were talking about. Now I know what dreadlocks are, don't like them. Just looks to me like really dirty hair.
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2013
    Quite a few comments on the subject in the photograph, and not much about the photograph itself. Well, the photograph is kick-ass. Way to go Mike. I love. Crushing the blacks works well here and in the other work you have put on 500px. The purists will say they don't like the tilt in your shots. I don't think this photograph works without the tilt. Tilt itself isn't bad, it is that just so many people do it badly that it becomes like fingernails on chalkboard.

I can't say much about the technicals because they are irrelevant in a photograph such as this. I can only speak to expression - which could be stronger. If your going to sell sexiness - you need to get closer and cut the chest or the waist with the horizon (or difference in background contrast). DAH is a master at this. Look at his contact sheets which can be found here (content warning, small bit of nudity):

http://www.magnumphotos.com/C.aspx?VP3=SearchResult&ALID=2K7O3RKCM8DS

Notice carefully what he is doing in the contact sheets. Squarely putting the torso right in the different contrast zones or right smack in the golden spiral. This is so perfectly obvious that any photographer will see that DAH isn't doing this by accident. He is looking for it.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    mikevmikev Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2013
    Thanks for all the comments, especially from RyanS. They are very much appreciated, but RyanS is the most helpful.

Cheers,
    Mike V
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2013
  • Options
    RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2013
    How close to get is probably a matter of personal opinion. I would have tried to get about here, but each person is going to have their own limits:

alt%20crop-L.jpg

The merging of contrasts of horizon and head are what is holding this one back. I made this very-high contrast version to illustrate the point. Shifting the blue line to either green line would have been alternate places to put the figure. It would have lead to the major contrast components not being mixed together - which is really important with the high contrast work you've got going on.

contrastview-L.jpg

Of course, I am just one voice. There are probably many ways to think about this.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2013
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2013
    can't really put my finger on it but this shot works..super moody
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2