Trinidad de Cuba

JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
edited July 9, 2013 in Journeys
With its old cobblestone streets and intact Spanish buildings, Trinidad de Cuba is rated as a nearly pristine example of a Spanish colonial town in Cuba. It is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the Cubans are carefully preserving it.

1. One of the main streets leading from the central plaza in downtown Trinidad.
DSC04488-XL.jpg

2. The old Spanish buildings are still occupied by families in Trinidad, but vehicular traffic is restricted on the historic cobblestone streets.
DSC04378-XL.jpg

3. The occupants of a small shop in Trinidad. When I took the photo, I was only aware of the small dog watching the street. It wasn't until I downloaded the photo that I became aware of the two people also looking out.
DSC04384-XL.jpg

Comments

• JTB-DCJTB-DC Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    These are great...colors are amazing. Love number 1. May I ask what camera/lens/pp you used/did? Want to get to Cuba very badly, still just trying to figure out how to get there!
    wings.gif
    Jared
    My Site
  • JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2013
    JTB-DC wrote: »
    These are great...colors are amazing. Love number 1. May I ask what camera/lens/pp you used/did? Want to get to Cuba very badly, still just trying to figure out how to get there!
    wings.gif

Thanks, JTB. I used a Sony A99 (full frame) with the Sony-Zeiss 24-70 f/2.8. I used PhotoShop to crop and adjust exposures. I do not like the current fad of over saturating colors, so the colors are real. The slightly hazy April Caribbean light bouncing off the high walls into narrow streets helped a lot.

Regarding getting there--this just got easier under the "people-to-people" educational licenses that open U.S.-legal travel to Cuba. I used the Road Scholar arranger. The within-Cuba part is done by a Cuban organization that Road Scholar connects to. Although I have always traveled independently, in this case the educational 15 day tour greatly exceeded my expectations and was much better than I could do on my own. For one thing, transportation within Cuba is poorly developed, and being on a modern tour bus with an excellent driver and excellent Cuban guide took me to places across Cuba that I could never get to on my own, with all the side benefits of lodging, expert explanations, etc. I strongly recommend not limiting your trip to Havana. The rest of the country, in aggregate, is much more interesting and not so touristy-contrived.
    ---John
  • JTB-DCJTB-DC Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2013
    As said, really like the shots, especially the first. Did you use a filter? In any case, thanks for the info on getting to Cuba, I am definitely going to check it out!
    Jared
    My Site
  • JohnDCJohnDC Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2013
    JTB-DC wrote: »
    As said, really like the shots, especially the first. Did you use a filter? In any case, thanks for the info on getting to Cuba, I am definitely going to check it out!

Sorry for the late reply. I didn't use any filters.
  • jadennybergjadennyberg Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2013
    I love the colours in these shots!
    Great work.
    Don't miss Vancouver Alive, Landscape photographs of Vancouver, BC and the surrounding area.
    Traveling Moments Photography, Featuring fine art photographs by Jaden Nyberg