Options

Quick engagement

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited July 10, 2013 in People
Quick trip home and my niece asked for some engagements shots. Had a flash and reflector in the car so here goes a quick session.

1. Logan%20T%20_61_resize-XL.jpg

2. Logan%20T%20_66-XL.jpg

3. Logan%20T%20_14_resize-XL.jpg

4. Logan%20T%20_17_resize-XL.jpg

5. Logan%20T%20_9_resize-XL.jpg

6. Logan%20T%20_42a_resize-XL.jpg

7. Logan%20T%20_47_resize-XL.jpg

8. Logan%20T%20_37_resize-XL.jpg

9. Logan%20T%20_50%20%281%29%20_resize-XL.jpg

10. Logan%20T%20_98_resize-XL.jpg

11. Logan%20T%20_132%20%281%29%20_resize-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2013
    This is funny, the last engagement shoot I did, the couple brought a sign with the date, an ampersand, and they wanted a shot of their hands making the heart.

Overall you did well with what looks like a challenging setting and time of day, but I wish the flash was more balanced with the bg in 4. And Brian does not seem too enthused.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2013
    Charles, not bad overall.

I am going make an observation here and I don't mean to offend. Your studio work is just better overall then your non-studio work. Your non-studio work suffers from some typical issues I might see from advanced amateurs. I only bring it up because your studio stuff is usually SPOT ON but then I outside the studio it's like someone else is shooting! I know this sounds a bit rude..it's just very striking to me the difference between inside and outside. I wonder if you feel the same? I can go take flying leap if you feel otherwise heh!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2013
    Daniel, your spot on. I'm not a big fan of outside photography. (I hate humidity). Mainly I want to take my time and create one really nice image but I have a problem with making subjects wait outside while I test and evaluate. I have them outside for a small amount of time and instead of a few quality portraits I try to take many nice portraits. I also come from a school of photography where a harsh light is more acceptable than what is in favor on this forum. I'm beyond being offended and really do appreciate CC so feel free to beat me up anytime you see errors. Don't take that leap unless there's a net there.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2013
    the shots are more than a touch too contrasty and saturated for my taste. Also #7..this is happened to me waay too many times:

"oh look a nice door, that would make great back drop!"
    "ok you stand there and you stand there..yup just like that!" *CLICK CLICK*
    *hours later, down load to LR*
    "Oh the door shot! Oh..it's crooked..and I can't correct it with any perspective tools or cropping."

So for backdrops with horizontal and vertical lines (like that door) I always find that perspective "sweet spot" so the lines stay as vertical/horizontal as can be. It might just be inches left or right and up and down that makes your shot looked planned and perfect vs snap shot.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2013
    I've been drifting into a period of contrast in my images lately, tired of mild adjustments to images. I think it might have gone too far, I'll try to pull it back but just a tad. On the perspective lines comment....I just did a renewal of vows Friday and was just cropping to my likes and I'm saying to myself "why is the altar so crooked"? Even when I park I'm finding myself pulling in crooked. Figure that one out.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2013
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I've been drifting into a period of contrast in my images lately, tired of mild adjustments to images. I think it might have gone too far, I'll try to pull it back but just a tad. On the perspective lines comment....I just did a renewal of vows Friday and was just cropping to my likes and I'm saying to myself "why is the altar so crooked"? Even when I park I'm finding myself pulling in crooked. Figure that one out.

try doing some real estate type shooting (take pictures of rooms in a house for MLS listing). Of course you need a wide to ultrawide lens and you need to position your self in a corner of a room. I am not kidding literally moving 2 inches can make lines straight vs crooked...usable to nearly unusable. ne_nau.gif
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2013
    Daniel, thanks for all the comments. I'm dressing up my mannequin today and going out with her/him for the next few days. You've challenged me to get it up to par and I'll post in a few days.
  • Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    Lovely couple and a very enjoyable set of images but I have to say I really love the first one.