Options

"size of photo" to upload question

PegPeg Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited October 28, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,
I've been reading the forum, have read smugmug's information on preparing your photos but I guess I need a little clarification, please.
I'm thinking I want to upload files so that prints can be made from them from sizes 4 x 6, 8 x 10, and 11 x 14. All sizes can be covered.
Should each photo be sized to accommodate that large 11 x 14? And if so, should each photo be around 1100 x 1400 pixels (using the 100 formula?)
Is this the target size I should aim for?
Thanks to all for any clarification.
Peg

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    Peg wrote:
    Hi all,
    I've been reading the forum, have read smugmug's information on preparing your photos but I guess I need a little clarification, please.
    I'm thinking I want to upload files so that prints can be made from them from sizes 4 x 6, 8 x 10, and 11 x 14. All sizes can be covered.
    Should each photo be sized to accommodate that large 11 x 14? And if so, should each photo be around 1100 x 1400 pixels (using the 100 formula?)
    Is this the target size I should aim for?
    Thanks to all for any clarification.
    Peg

wave.gif hiya peg,

there's no limit on amount of uploads, so please upload the full-size files from your digital rebel - in all their 6-megapixel glory. then, when you want to print, you can crop to the aspect-ratio you need, e.g. 4x6, or 5x7, or 8x10, etc etc.

hope this helps,
  • Options
    DodgeV83DodgeV83 Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    Upload the highest quality picture you have. The user can select the cropping he/she wants so its not really an issue.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    And the printer will scale automatically
    DodgeV83 wrote:
    Upload the highest quality picture you have. The user can select the cropping he/she wants so its not really an issue.
    And the print service will automatically scale the images up or down to the chosen print size and printer resolution so you don't need to worry about that at all.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    FWIW 24" x 36" from ezprints done with my 8.2MP 20D are excellent!
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Thanks everyone.
    Boy, I've sure been doing my first uploads wrong. I've been going to PS7 and resizing there and using "Save as" and sending up quite a bit smaller files.
    I'll try sending up some large files now and see how that goes.

One other concern: That'll be a pretty big file that someone could just download and print off themselves, right? How can I prevent that? Would having the Pro account be the only way to keep folks from downloading??
    Thanks again.
    Peg
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Peg wrote:
    Boy, I've sure been doing my first uploads wrong. I've been going to PS7 and resizing there and using "Save as" and sending up quite a bit smaller files.
    I'll try sending up some large files now and see how that goes.

One other concern: That'll be a pretty big file that someone could just download and print off themselves, right? How can I prevent that? Would having the Pro account be the only way to keep folks from downloading??
    Thanks again.
    Peg
    All accounts can limit the viewable size (someone correct me if I'm wrong here) That means that Smugmug will store a big ol' copy of your original and process it into a bunch of different sizes: Large, Medium, Thumbnail, and Tiny. You can choose to not display the Original and / or the large size if you want so all anyone would be able to download is a Medium, Thumbnail, and Tiny image ... not exactly print or steal worthy material.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    What resolution do I choose?
    One other question!
    Do I leave the resolution at 72 or do I change that to 290 or so as if I were printing?
    Thanks.
    peg
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Ignore the dpi completely
    Peg wrote:
    One other question!
    Do I leave the resolution at 72 or do I change that to 290 or so as if I were printing?
    Thanks.
    peg
    What the pic is labelled for dpi or ppi is completely irrelevant for smugmug display or printing from smugmug, so you don't need to care what it is and you shouldn't worry about changing it.

The reason it doesn't matter to smugmug is that for display, smugmug makes reduced size images by reducing the number of pixels and browsers display those reduced pixel images on screen as they are. When pics are sent to the printer for printing, smugmug sends the highest resolution version that you uploaded and the printer then scales the pixels to match the printed resolution at the size print you ordered.

In neither of these cases does anything look at the dpi or ppi on the image, so it doesn't matter at all.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    What the pic is labelled for dpi or ppi is completely irrelevant for smugmug display or printing from smugmug, so you don't need to care what it is and you shouldn't worry about changing it.
    right. see also http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20776
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Thanks!
    I'll leave that resolution number alone from now on.
    Thanks so much to everyone for your help and explanations.
    Peg