Options

Anybody here use a tablet?

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited July 12, 2013 in People
Just picked up a Bamboo capture in a flash sale (for $65 it seemed worth trying). It's a really neat tool that I know WILL speed up (and improve) my retouching in due course, but still in the learning curve stage. There are some things it does soooooooo much better than I ever could with a mouse (although the mouse has its place too for me, I think).

Anybody here use one and have any tips and tricks? I'm getting it, but some things still don't work the way I expect them to (eg if I sample a healing brush or clone area place, it sometimes seems to grab it from somewhere else entirely :scratch)

Comments

• Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    I'm using a Cintiq 21ux.
    It is hard to tune, but processing images is much easier
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    I use a Intuos 5 touch. The thing is awesome. Took maybe a week to get used to it, but with all of the customizable options it save loads of time. Now I find I'm using it all the time even apart from photoshop.

Since I goof things up a lot, I set the button by your finger on the pen to "undo" / "redo" and the buttons on the pad to switch brush types. Still learning myself, but so far I think its great.

Once you get used to it I seriously doubt that you'll ever use your mouse again when retouching.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    BlurmoreBlurmore Registered Users Posts: 992 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    I use one...and there are more settings and customizations for the thing in PS and in the Wacom software than the law allows. The cloning/healling thing is something simple like a checkbox in the tool options, can't remember it right now, but yeah they are great for when you need them but I only use it for serious retouching, and even then mostly for masking.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    I've got a Wacom. Put the potato away and just use the pen. You will get quicker if you hide the potato.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    Bought first tablet when using PS3 ...and been first / preferred choice of device ever since ... 17 / 18yrs or so.
    Current (and only second) unit is an oversized A4 Wacom on a ball-raced sliding plinth that docks under the comp desk.

pp
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    Yeah, I'm liking it a lot, it's just getting used to it. And, as I say, for some reason even when I alt+click to select a sample for cloning/healing, sometimes it's grabbing it from somewhere else on the image - not sure what that's about headscratch.gif

I find I'm mostly grabbing the mouse for moving around the image; the Bamboo has touch mode, but I find I'm rather clumsy with it - easier to grab the mouse+spacebar and motor around lol I'll get it. I absolutely LOVE how easy it is to avoid splotchy cloning - huge improvement over mouse for that, for SURE thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    divamum wrote: »

I find I'm mostly grabbing the mouse for moving around the image

Try the space bar and pen for moving the image around, much much faster, alternatively two fingers on the touch pad does the same thing depending on the mode you are in.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    Have a Wacom. Bought it years ago and it just sit on my desk. Sometime I sit my coffee mug on it. ne_nau.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    Have a Wacom. Bought it years ago and it just sit on my desk. Sometime I sit my coffee mug on it. ne_nau.gif

Have any boxes of cash, gold, or diamonds your using as doorstops or coffee holders you'd like to offload? I can provide an address. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    Dreadnote wrote: »
    Have any boxes of cash, gold, or diamonds your using as doorstops or coffee holders you'd like to offload? I can provide an address. rolleyes1.gif

Laughing.gif. I bought it, tried it for day and decided I hated it. I know I need to give it more time but each time I've tried, I get frustrated and go back to my mouse. Laughing.gif I go through mouse batteries like crazy. And sometimes when I'm editing, all you hear is 'click-click...click-click-clickity-click...click". HAHAHHA

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    Seriously, put the potato away for two days and you'll never go back.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    Laughing.gif. I bought it, tried it for day and decided I hated it. I know I need to give it more time but each time I've tried, I get frustrated and go back to my mouse. Laughing.gif I go through mouse batteries like crazy. And sometimes when I'm editing, all you hear is 'click-click...click-click-clickity-click...click". HAHAHHA

BTW Diva, you too Alex - if you arrange your desk so that the tablet is directly in front of the monitor all lined up and square it feels more intuitive in the beginning. Later on you can reposition it once it feels natural. Least wise that helped me.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    Oh and one more thing now that I think about it...use the 2 finger, or finger and thumb pinch/rotate gesture, the same way you do on a phone or tablet to reorient your image in PS just like you would with a piece of paper. Makes "coloring" with your tablet super comfortable and allows your hand to always be in its best orientation no matter what part of the image you are working on.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    Oh and here is one more...

if your tablet came with an assortment (usually hidden in the pen holder which twists apart) of "nibs" then switch to the "Flex Nibs", the ones that look like this. They are tons better than the hard plastic one that comes preloaded.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    Tablet will only fit in front of monitor (desk is small), and that's the only way I could imagine using it! Mouse I can do off-center; pen, not so much.

I may well check out the nibs - excellent idea. My Bamboo came with extras, but they seem to be the same as the original hard nib that was installed. (Hey, it's the "budget" version, but at that price I'm not arguing....) :D
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    Alex, I hated most of the tablets, too. I just don't have the good eye-hand coordination, I think :D

I needed to have a screen to use a stylus on.
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2013
    Foques wrote: »
    Alex, I hated most of the tablets, too. I just don't have the good eye-hand coordination, I think :D

I needed to have a screen to use a stylus on.

Honestly, I think I need a larger one. I have a little tiny one that I bought at Baby Toys R Us on clearance sale. The stylus has a rattle on the end of it. rolleyes1.gif

My Smug Site
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm liking it a lot, it's just getting used to it. And, as I say, for some reason even when I alt+click to select a sample for cloning/healing, sometimes it's grabbing it from somewhere else on the image - not sure what that's about headscratch.gif

I find I'm mostly grabbing the mouse for moving around the image; the Bamboo has touch mode, but I find I'm rather clumsy with it - easier to grab the mouse+spacebar and motor around lol I'll get it. I absolutely LOVE how easy it is to avoid splotchy cloning - huge improvement over mouse for that, for SURE thumb.gif

I'm left-handed, and keep my Wacom tablet on the left and my Logitech trackball
    on my right and use both at once. As long as the tablet stylus isn't touching the pad,
    the trackball is operational.

I honestly can't tell you if I navigate around the image with the tablet or the trackball.
    After a while, the movement becomes so instinctive that you don't think about which
    you're using.

I also have a regular mouse plugged in, but rarely use it. With the trackball, my right
    hand doesn't have to move. Just the thumb.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2013
    Took about a week and some settings-tweaking, but I absolutely love it now. There *are* still a few things that I find more mouse-friendly (eg large areas of single-colour cloning, like cleaning up where I've "fallen off" a white background), but there are some things the tablet pen can do that there is NO WAY I could achieve as cleanly or easily with a mouse (eg fine cloning like stray hairs). I'm converted! thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2013
    Dual Monitors
    Do the newer tablets work well with two monitors? I tried one several years ago, and that was the main stumbling block for me; the software just didn't have a configuration that I found workable for me.
    headscratch.gif
    Chris
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2013
    There's an article somewhere on the web that when the nub runs out you can use a particular diameter of lawn string trimmer to get new replacements.
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2013
    ChrisJ wrote: »
    Do the newer tablets work well with two monitors? I tried one several years ago, and that was the main stumbling block for me; the software just didn't have a configuration that I found workable for me.
    headscratch.gif

You can set up an Intuos 5 to map to just one screen and use your mouse/trackpad for the other one, or you can set it up to split the tablet in half with one half corresponding to each of the monitors. Perhaps that works on other models as well though I can only speak to the tablet that I have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ClDSx_wE-sE#at=87
  • Options
    WaskitheSquirrelWaskitheSquirrel Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2013
    I've used one for several years. The funny thing is I originally bought it for a totally different purpose: writing notes on a projector as a high school science teacher. I now use a Wacom Intuos 4 to retouch pictures.
  • Options
    SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2013
    I've been using a Wacom tablet for at least ten years and I honestly can't imagine being without one.

The one I have now was purchased in 2005 and the dang thing still works like a champ!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 2
    Chip

ad astra per aspera