Options

What's Wrong with These?

kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
edited July 14, 2013 in People
I was asked to take pictures of this young family. They are pretty happy with the photos but I'm not satisfied. What is it--are they overexposed? Why do their faces/skin look so washed out? Is there a blue tinge? These were taken on a sunny afternoon, in the shade.
13June_untitled_059-M.jpg

13June_untitled_191-M.jpg

13June_untitled_078-M.jpg

13June_untitled_106-M.jpg

13June_untitled_126-M.jpg

13June_untitled_156-M.jpg

13June_untitled_220-M.jpg
Kate
www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    4 and 7 are touch over exposed. 5 is a touch underexposed. 4,5,7 have touch blue in them but not really objectionable. 1and 2 are great. I would put a slight vignette on those though
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    I think the WB issues her are what is throwing you. The poses and crops aren't bad. Shooting in the shade with bright sun around can be a challenge for WB settings. Most of these are a bit blue. #3 has a bit of a green cast likely from the reflection off the grass in close proximity.

#5 is significantly underexposed.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2013
    I believe I had my WB set on auto. When shooting like this, is there a particular setting that would be better?
    Kate
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    Your camera should have a "custom" setting. Get a grey card, take a picture of it where your subject will be, and then use that to set the WB. But be wary of local lights and reflections - as Mitchell said, bright sun on grass tends to leave a green cast.

Personally, I think the biggest problem is putting shaded people against sunlit backgrounds. If you shot them against shaded trees, the faces would pop a lot more. If you really want to shoot them against sunlit trees, use a reflector or something to increase the amount of light on the people.
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    Also watch for relative uniformity of light in the background. Spotty light (like on the bushes and grass in #1) can attract attention.
  • Options
    mdruizmdruiz Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2013
    Also if you shot in RAW you can easily change the WB
  • Options
    kshayskshays Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2013
    I think Mitchell hit the nail on the head. Just like mdruiz suggested, are you shooting in RAW mode? If not then start shooting in RAW as there is so much you can recover and manipulate than in jpg. I like #1 and #2 the best I think and #3 would be great if he was slightly off center more and had a lot more bokeh. That's just my personal style though :) LIke a few others have mentioned the faces don't pop out at you and demand attention due to the background being so bright. Give some a slight vignette also.

Kevin
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2013
    Thank you, all...those are helpful comments. I did shoot raw, but am really just learning to use Lightroom & Photoshop. I did adjust color somewhat, but I can't say I know what I'm doing. I'll keep trying :):
    Kate
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2013
    Here is a link that shows a simple way to choose white balance and explains it pretty good in Lightroom.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter-archive/lightroom/articles/lir1am_whitebal.html

If you search for adobe lightroom tv shows you can get a lot of shows to watch that will help also. Hope this helps.

Kevin
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2013
    Thank you, Kevin!
    Kate
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2013
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2013
    Cute shots, as mentioned your color is all over the place.
    In lightroom select shots in groups of equal light/color and click on something white with the eyedropper, should fix them. You can do entire groups with one click, auto sync.

Jpeg and Raw are equally editable in Lightroom except for highlight recovery.

Shade in a predominately green area will always mess with your color...but as mentioned can normally fix it with the eyedropper. Sometimes it can be very resistant to fixing however then you can play with the white balance, but if you do that you can end up even more messed up if you don't know what you are doing.

If you know going in that you are going to have color problems don't shoot on Auto pick any of the other white balance options that way you get uniform color, then when you correct with the eyedropper in Lightroom they will all get the same "fix".
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2013
    Shooting RAW is just a process to learn just like learning "photography". With lightroom you have what you need to process the raw file to jpg. There are terrific videos to help you with this.

http://www.jkost.com/lightroom.html This lady has a series of videos to help explain lightroom .
  • Options
    edited July 14, 2013
    Thanks!
    Kate