Options

thought i'd share

ChristineRChristineR Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited July 8, 2004 in Holy Macro
Not looking for any feedback on this obviousely. I was at the gas station and saw this dog with the sunglasses on in the drivers seat. My husband was inside talking with the owner and he said that this dog doesn't go anywhere without them on. They even ride a Harley together.

Christine

Comments

• Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    That is too funny Christine! :D
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    ChristineR wrote:
    Not looking for any feedback on this obviousely. I was at the gas station and saw this dog with the sunglasses on in the drivers seat. My husband was inside talking with the owner and he said that this dog doesn't go anywhere without them on. They even ride a Harley together.

Christine
    Oh thats a gem Christine! I wonder why he likes his glasses so.. spose he thinks he's cool. I used to have a little dog who used to love to wear his sweater that I knitted him.. he would get all excited when I got it out.
    Great shot. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 8, 2004
    ChristineR wrote:

Christine
    Seeing cool things is always fun, but seeing them and photographing them so other viewers can appreciate them are two different tasks.lickout.gif I recognize that you are not looking for feedback, but some other viewers might not appreciate how this image could simply be made much better. With that in mind, I offer the following suggestion. Please do not take this suggestion for criticism but for encouragement.
    The dog is truly cool with sunglasses, and your picture could have been a show stopper if you had gotten much closer and only included the dog and enough window frame to show the vehicle. Unfortunately, 2/3s of this image space is devoted to things other than the dog and its glasses. We almost always need to get much closer than we think - good photography is frequently the elimination of the truly unnecessary or inconsequential, until ONLY the very most important graphic elements are left. Sounds easy to do, but I always find it hard to do myself.icon10.giflickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2004
    re dog picture and shooting styles
    pathfinder wrote:
    Seeing cool things is always fun, but seeing them and photographing them so other viewers can appreciate them are two different tasks.lickout.gif I recognize that you are not looking for feedback, but some other viewers might not appreciate how this image could simply be made much better. With that in mind, I offer the following suggestion. Please do not take this suggestion for criticism but for encouragement.
    The dog is truly cool with sunglasses, and your picture could have been a show stopper if you had gotten much closer and only included the dog and enough window frame to show the vehicle. Unfortunately, 2/3s of this image space is devoted to things other than the dog and its glasses. We almost always need to get much closer than we think - good photography is frequently the elimination of the truly unnecessary or inconsequential, until ONLY the very most important graphic elements are left. Sounds easy to do, but I always find it hard to do myself.icon10.giflickout.gif

That is true, to a degree, etc. But I humbly disagree. I "need" the surroundings in this picture. True the dog doesn't pop right out at you, but when he/she does, one appreciates him so much more having seen the surroundings, etc.

This is a matter of style, IMO. Whether you like to shoot close, as I have most of my shooting life, or whether you like to show the Whole picture, for whatever reason, the style one chooses needs to be perfected. I am sure that a close up could be made very effectively, just as good as this picture (if done right), however I have, for about 25 yrs admired the people who are not "close shooters, sometimes I try to emulate them. So far the "names" are still ahead of me in terms of skill in that area.

I so much like this dog shot, as it is.

ginger

Thank you Lynn, for pointing us in this direction. Maybe we need a forum with directions or notices of "special" showings, smile.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    I'm glad I could give everyone a chuckle. Pathfinder the reason that I said that I wasn't looking for any feedback is because basically I just picked my camera out of the bag and shot it off real quick. The dog was sitting in the passenger seat and looking back. So when he jumped in the driver seat I had to take it right then. Plus his owner was only in the gas station for a sec. So therefore I didn't set the composition or simplify or focus attention on the subject. I knew by posting this that it wasn't the best I wanted everyone to mainly see the dog with the sunglasses not really anything else.

ginger_55 wrote:

That is true, to a degree, etc. But I humbly disagree. I "need" the surroundings in this picture. True the dog doesn't pop right out at you, but when he/she does, one appreciates him so much more having seen the surroundings, etc.

This is a matter of style, IMO. Whether you like to shoot close, as I have most of my shooting life, or whether you like to show the Whole picture, for whatever reason, the style one chooses needs to be perfected. I am sure that a close up could be made very effectively, just as good as this picture (if done right), however I have, for about 25 yrs admired the people who are not "close shooters, sometimes I try to emulate them. So far the "names" are still ahead of me in terms of skill in that area.

I so much like this dog shot, as it is.

ginger

Thank you Lynn, for pointing us in this direction. Maybe we need a forum with directions or notices of "special" showings, smile.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited July 8, 2004
    ChristineR wrote:
    I'm glad I could give everyone a chuckle. Pathfinder the reason that I said that I wasn't looking for any feedback is because basically I just picked my camera out of the bag and shot it off real quick. The dog was sitting in the passenger seat and looking back. So when he jumped in the driver seat I had to take it right then. Plus his owner was only in the gas station for a sec. So therefore I didn't set the composition or simplify or focus attention on the subject. I knew by posting this that it wasn't the best I wanted everyone to mainly see the dog with the sunglasses not really anything else.
    Grab shots are great - we all do them - and only later do we sometimes realize how they could have been better. I thought at some length before I added my comments out of concern they could be misinterpreted - that is why I added that the statement that my comments were directed to the viewers rather than as a criticism of your image. I like the picture, but thought it had the possibility of being presented more effectively - kind of like this below - Ginger's opinion notwithstanding. I agree to respectfully disagree with her here.Laughing.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2004
    Pathfinder,

At first your comments to me were mininterpreted, however after reading your reply I understand what you were trying to convey. I do prefer closer, tighter shots of a subject. At the time I had a 50mm fixed lens on the camera. Damn, I wish I would have had a zoom lens on it. I also thought if I were to have gotten out of the car and got closer I wouldn't have got the effect of the stare from the dog. He might have gone nuts or got excited or whatever. Well, anyways that is why I just took the pic. You are right though I could have had a superb shot of the dog closer up.

Christine

pathfinder wrote:
    Grab shots are great - we all do them - and only later do we sometimes realize how they could have been better. I thought at some length before I added my comments out of concern they could be misinterpreted - that is why I added that the statement that my comments were directed to the viewers rather than as a criticism of your image. I like the picture, but thought it had the possibility of being presented more effectively - kind of like this below - Ginger's opinion notwithstanding. I agree to respectfully disagree with her here.Laughing.gif