Options

A Mountain Story

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited July 18, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
During my current ramblings through the Appalachians, I stumbled across this beautiful scene. There's quite a story to this old homestead. Orelena Hawks Puckett ( 1837 - 1939 ) lived here for the bulk of her adult life. She lived to be 102 years old. Married at sixteen, she bore 24 children....none of which survived infancy. Most were stillborn, all the others died within days of birth. It is suspected that she carried a transferable disease of some sort that proved fatal to newborns.

In her later '50's, having lost all of her own children, she turned to being a midwife in the surrounding Virginia mountains. It is said that she assisted in the delivery of more than 1,000 births....proudly never losing a mother or child in the process. Her last delivery occurred during the last year of her life...at 102.

Summer%202013%20070-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2013
    Yo Mamba! thumb.gif

Good one!

:D Lovely split rail lines to the cabin!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2013
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Yo Mamba! thumb.gif

Good one!

:D Lovely split rail lines to the cabin!

Don

Hey Don,

It's great to hear from you. The Appalachians were as lush and green with new growth as I've ever seen them. I hope that the current conditions of splendor can carry over to the coming Fall color show.

Take care, my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2013
    Very nice, Tom! I love how green everything is in that photo. And an interesting story (as always!) to go with the shot.
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2013
    moose135 wrote: »
    Very nice, Tom! I love how green everything is in that photo. And an interesting story (as always!) to go with the shot.

Thanks for the kind words.

I tell you, John, I, also, love the green. I'll alert you to one thing, though. The intensity of the greens up there now are enough to produce sensory overload.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2013
    Hi Tom, love the shot and the story - no need to push the green sliders on this one :D

With regard to the split rail fence - are they always built in a zig-zag design?

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2013
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2013
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi Tom, love the shot and the story - no need to push the green sliders on this one :D

With regard to the split rail fence - are they always built in a zig-zag design?

Cheers, Richard.

Hi guy,

Thanks for the visit.

There are a few other designs of early fencing that used split rails meeting in a straight-on manner. They used a different type of attachment between the rails. The traditional " split rail fence ", as seen in this photo, is always built in this zig-zag fashion. It's a matter of practicality. Overlapping, as they do at attachment points, is much more secure as the angle of attachment approaches 90 degrees. However, most fences were done at angles somewhat less than that. Limited to using the tools they had, these simplest of fencing designs were the best they could do at the time.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    love it. Great composition.

Thanks, Josh, for the comments.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2013
    Howdy Pard,

Nice scene that you captured with care. My eyes zig-zag all the way to the cabin thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2013
    Nice shot, Tom--and another interesting story. I am ready for a road trip through Appalachia--is your cabin ready for visitors yet? :D
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Howdy Pard,

Nice scene that you captured with care. My eyes zig-zag all the way to the cabin thumb.gif

Thanks kindly for the comments, Randy. I'd sure love to share one of my journeys through those mountains with you. Right about now, though, I'd be happy to just see some pictures you've taken. Got anything to throw our way?

Rest easy buddy, I'll be calling soon.

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2013
    redleash wrote: »
    Nice shot, Tom--and another interesting story. I am ready for a road trip through Appalachia--is your cabin ready for visitors yet? :D

Thanks, Lauren, for your support.

I'd wait until the rainy season is over up in the southern Appalachians. I just got back from spending a month up there....rained on me almost every day. It was still beautiful but not too conducive to doing much shooting.

I'll be in touch as to when the new home there is ready to romp.:D

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2013
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2013
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Splendid photo. Great story. Well done!

Thanks, John, for the kind words. It's always nice to hear from your quarters. Have you been doing much shooting lately?

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2013
    Nice capture Tom. Amazing grass color!
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice capture Tom. Amazing grass color!

Hey Cristóbal, thanks for commenting.

As I've eluded to in a couple of prior comments, in all my 30+ years of tromping through those foothills and mountains, I can't remember any time when the greens up there ( trees, grasses, seemingly everything ) were so intense. I guess that's what happens when you get about two months of rain.

Take care, my friend,

Tom