Options

Need some advice re: RRS tripods

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited July 19, 2013 in Accessories
So I'm thinking of making the big jump to a Really Right Stuff tripod and could use some advice.

Current: Feisol CT-3401 max ht 51.9 in, min ht 6.6 in, fold length 18.8 in, wt 2.6 lb
Gear: BH-40 head with Canon 5DmkIII. Biggest lens now is 70-200/4 IS. May end up with 70-200/2.8 IS. Goal is landscape, long exposure. No birding. I'm 5'6"
90% of shoots via car. In Summer, like to strap tripod to backpack. If travel, put in checked luggage.

Considering:
TVC23 - best height of group; cons are folded length is 5" longer than current
TVC24 - likely too short at 49.2in vis current 51.9 (though I measure it at 50.5 opened up :scratch)
TQC14 - reviews seem very good for this as not just a travel but all around good tripod. Good height (with center column) though column also raises concerns about min height without messing with it. Folded length and weight are closer to where I'm at now.

I called RRS but was a bit put off by rep on phone. Made TQC14 sound much less adequate than it appears on site or reviews. Made it sound as though my new BH-40 wouldn't work well with the smaller tripod. Not sure I would love the TQC14 - I see the column as a double edged sword here - but bit surprised at interaction after all the raves about their product and phone guidance.

Anyway, if you own any of the above and can help guide me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

E

Comments

• Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    If you can't decide which one to get, check out these tripods. http://www.mefoto.com/products/roadtrip.aspx I bought one of these and I love it! I used to carry both a tripod and a mono pod, but no more, since these will convert to a mono pod without any tools. They are fairly light and fold up very small.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    The TQC14 with a BH-30 is AMPLE for lenses up to 70-200 f/2.8. So you could consider selling the BH40 and going with the BH30, having an amazingly light package :) Oh and get the spikes for the feet, since you shoot from the beaches there in Marblehead. I owned and used the TVC23 with BH40 for a long time - and switched to the TQC14 and BH30 (and I removed the center column!). I don't regret this for one minute. Love the portability and stability. You can also choose to keep the center column on the 'pod, using it only when necessary (favorable conditions, no wind, etc).
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 19, 2013
    Maybe DavidTO will chime in here. I know he picked one up and had a lot of nice things to say. If I'm not mistaken, he said they were easy to maintain (which is a great thing when you tend to shoot in grimy environments). Marc or Andy may also have one.

I'm surprised by your comments about the sales rep. I had the occasion to talk to them when I first picked up my BH55 and there were incredibly helpful.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2013
    Thanks guys!

Andy - You're a bit taller than me so surprised you have ended up using it without the column...good to know! There are a handful of times when I do want that reach so would be nice to be able to add it as needed. So this is your only tripod/head at the moment...correct?

Ian - I was surprised as well. Especially about the somewhat disparaging remarks about the TQC14. Was pretty sure that would be a good fit for me but he was poo pooing the column and a few other factors. Said it was barely sufficient with the 70-200...

The BH40 is so new that I wonder/hope that they would offer me credit for it if I go with the BH30/TCQ14 package...

Would love to hear from some more folks before pulling the $1000 trigger...
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2013
    Eyal, they won't give you credit on the BH40 but you can easily sell it here on Dgrin. Yeah, the TQC14 and BH30 is my only tripod. I don't mind if I have to stoop occasionally to see through the vf - it's a fine tradeoff for super portability.
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    So then does the BH-40 not work with the TQC-14? I use my BH-40 on a TVC-24L and love it, but I too had thought of picking up a TQC-14 as they seem so packable.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2013
    I received an email from Jim at RRS who explained that the BH-40 does indeed fit on the TQC-14. Andy can comment on benefits of going with the larger head but it is my understanding that loads for both are pretty equivalent and you get the benefit of a much smaller package overall.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2013
    I got the TVC24 with the BH40 head with the leveler and also spikes. I got the 24 because I didn't want it to be too big so it would be easier to cart around. The leveler makes it a bit higher, but not much. It's worked out great. I'm 5'8"" so I guess in theory it could be higher, but it just hasn't been a problem.

The spikes are great when you are outside... makes it solid like a rock.

BTW when I got it I noticed what I thought was an unusual small spot on one of the legs. I had not had a CF tripod before so I wasn't sure if it was just a characteristic of CF tripods. So I took a picture of it and emailed it to RRS. They, without any question, sent me a replacement immediately, overnight.

It's great to use, everything on it works so smoothly and solid.

Dan
    eoren1 wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of making the big jump to a Really Right Stuff tripod and could use some advice.

Current: Feisol CT-3401 max ht 51.9 in, min ht 6.6 in, fold length 18.8 in, wt 2.6 lb
    Gear: BH-40 head with Canon 5DmkIII. Biggest lens now is 70-200/4 IS. May end up with 70-200/2.8 IS. Goal is landscape, long exposure. No birding. I'm 5'6"
    90% of shoots via car. In Summer, like to strap tripod to backpack. If travel, put in checked luggage.

Considering:
    TVC23 - best height of group; cons are folded length is 5" longer than current
    TVC24 - likely too short at 49.2in vis current 51.9 (though I measure it at 50.5 opened up headscratch.gif)
    TQC14 - reviews seem very good for this as not just a travel but all around good tripod. Good height (with center column) though column also raises concerns about min height without messing with it. Folded length and weight are closer to where I'm at now.

I called RRS but was a bit put off by rep on phone. Made TQC14 sound much less adequate than it appears on site or reviews. Made it sound as though my new BH-40 wouldn't work well with the smaller tripod. Not sure I would love the TQC14 - I see the column as a double edged sword here - but bit surprised at interaction after all the raves about their product and phone guidance.

Anyway, if you own any of the above and can help guide me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

E
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2013
    I received an email from Jim at RRS who explained that the BH-40 does indeed fit on the TQC-14. Andy can comment on benefits of going with the larger head but it is my understanding that loads for both are pretty equivalent and you get the benefit of a much smaller package overall.

From the RRS stats page:

BH-40

Load Capacity: 18 lb / 8 kg
    Height: 3.0 inches / 76 mm
    Base Diameter: 2.1 inches / 53 mm
    Ball Diameter: 1.6 inches / 40 mm
    Tripod Mount: 3/8"-16
    Weight: 16.9 oz / 479 g
    Price: $375
    Package Saves $25

BH-30

Load capacity: 15 lb / 6.8kg
    Height: 2.9 inches / 75mm
    Base Diameter:1.6 inches / 41mm
    Ball Diameter: 1.2 inches / 30mm
    Tripod Mount: 3/8"-16
    Weight: 11.4 ounces / 324g
    Price: $275
    Package Saves $25

Don't know...seems like the BH-30 is only saving you 1mm in height and 5.5 ounces in weight. Not sure if that is worth $275 if you already have the BH-40 and the rep said it would work with the TQC-14. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2013
    Thanks guys

I ended up emailing back and forth with Jim who was awesome (fast and thorough). He favored the 24L but I think that is too large for me.

Dan - good to hear that you do not find the 24 too short at 5'8 (I'm 5'6).

I keep Googleing tripod reviews and find as many people going with the 2 series as folks moving up from 2 to 3 series...

Andy - is Marc still happy with his 24?

I just really, really want this to be my last tripod and don't want to err on the side of too little (14) or too much (24L). Wondering if 24 is just right.

Thanks again

Eyal
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2013
    I just went through the specs of RRS' entire lineup and realized something.

1. I already have an equivalent of the TQC14. My current Feisol 3401 matches it for sections, tube diameter, max height (without column), weight, folded length and load.

2. Given the above, I'm now leaning towards the Jim from RRS' recommendation of the 24L. I was trying to find a pod that did it all for me but in looking at specs, the 24L seems to offer me 95% of what I want with the current Feisol making up for the last 5% if need a pure travel pod.

I add a pound of weight but double load capacity to current. Also like that it is good height with 3 legs extended but have option for increased height with the fourth.

Please punch some holes in my thought process before I throw down the $935 to secure this thing - loving that print sales are paying for this ;)

Thanks!

Eyal
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2013
    The only hole I can punch in it is that the 24L is a bit to big to fit inside my carry on luggage. Other than that I think its a great tripod. I'm 6'4" and with all legs extended and the BH-40 and D4 on top puts the eyepiece higher than I can reach, even on tip toes, which provides good range for use on hills and what not. In total, I don't fly that much so the carry on bag issue isn't that big of a deal for me.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2013
    Eyal, Marc has a TQC14 now and BH30. With spikes.
    You can definitely use the BH40 on the 1-series pod.

Good luck in your decision.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2013
    Damn Andy...just made the decision even harder!
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2013
    Eyal,
    My choice for the “all around” pod at this point in my life would be the BH-40 on the TVC-23 legs!

I really dislike unfolding and folding legs, because when I'm working I repeat it many many times and the fewer twists the better.

I now possess the 14, 24 and 33S.
    I use the 24 for all around international trips when weight is of the essence and I'm using only one!
    I use the 14 and have the BH25 head for low weight gigs and my micro 4/3 systems. I would use this for my Nikon D800 if needed.
    I own the 33S because its a loaner for our workshops and I actually prefer the bulk when working in areas within a mile of the car.
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2013
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2013
    Thank you Marc!

I was just about to post (again) with more confusion.

Spoke to Spencer at RRS who was awesome but obviously couldn't make up my mind for me ;)

I think I've convinced myself to hold onto the Feisol legs and relegate them to travel duty

Really like Marc's points on the 23. I have a 4 section leg (without antirotation no less) and it does get annoying. So much so that I often will just throw the thing fully extended in the car and leave it open in my office when I get home from a shoot.

The 23 also adds a tiny bit of height (not counting the spikes) compared to the nearly perfect current legs.

My only lingering doubts center on the rare need for a taller setup (such as for shooting over a fence) in which case the 24L has the extra legs to shoot up to 67". Is that worth the extra 1/2 pound weight and $100??? I'll end up using it as a 23 90% of the time but this way have the bonus of extension without having to buy a center column...

Really appreciate everyone's input on this and humoring me as I hem and haw over the new legs

Eyal
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2013
    There is an optional extension post for TVC-24/23 when you need to shot over the fence shots.
    Thank you Marc!

I was just about to post (again) with more confusion.

Spoke to Spencer at RRS who was awesome but obviously couldn't make up my mind for me ;)

I think I've convinced myself to hold onto the Feisol legs and relegate them to travel duty

Really like Marc's points on the 23. I have a 4 section leg (without antirotation no less) and it does get annoying. So much so that I often will just throw the thing fully extended in the car and leave it open in my office when I get home from a shoot.

The 23 also adds a tiny bit of height (not counting the spikes) compared to the nearly perfect current legs.

My only lingering doubts center on the rare need for a taller setup (such as for shooting over a fence) in which case the 24L has the extra legs to shoot up to 67". Is that worth the extra 1/2 pound weight and $100??? I'll end up using it as a 23 90% of the time but this way have the bonus of extension without having to buy a center column...

Really appreciate everyone's input on this and humoring me as I hem and haw over the new legs

Eyal
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2013
    Thanks Dan

I looked at the TA-2-QC: Versa 2 Quick Column but it adds $88 to the price of the TVC-23 and seems to be a bit of a hassle. More so than simply extending the 24L legs for the rare times I would need the extra height.

I'm strongly leaning toward the 24L as a day-to-day '23' with the option of going to full height easily. Hmmmm.....
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2013
    24L and spikes bought

Will post when I receive them and have a chance to try them out
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2013
    So the 24L arrived today wings.gif

First impressions:
    1. This thing is a beast (in a good way). Thick sections and so freaking solid despite its weight. I compared it to my current Feisol and there was a huge difference in the feel of the various moving parts.

2. Size is perfect. With the bottom two sections extended, it is actually taller than my current tripod (though the specs suggested it would be at least an inch or two shorter). With the head and camera on it is actually perfectly at my eye level (5'6")

3. L is crazy tall - With full extension, I can almost fit under the tripod! I'll likely use the extra height very rarely but love that it is always there without having to worry/mess with a center column add-on.

Will have more thoughts and pix in a full review for those interested. Going to be very busy with the 4th coming up but will try to get something up in a little while.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and advice iloveyou.gif

E
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited June 28, 2013
    Congrats and looking forward to hearing your opinions after you've had a chance to try it out.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    QuoddyQuoddy Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 19, 2013
    I just joined the happy throng and ordered the TVC-24L/BH-40 LR combination. Even though my usual camera setup is lightweight, I'll never have to worry about an upgrade. Went with the RSS plate/L/Grip combo and, of course, the spikes. No backlog here, it was on the way within a few hours.
    Update: The gear arrived and all surpassed my expectations.