Options

Help with Canon 630EX-RT please

KcPhotographyKcPhotography Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited July 20, 2013 in Accessories
Hi,

I have a new flash that I need help with knowing if this is possible to do without buying more equipment. I have a Canon 60D and like the title says, Canon 600EX-RT flash. Can I have the flash wireless without a trigger device? I thought I had read somewhere that my 60D and this flash is compatible to work together without a trigger since they are wireless? This flash is the RT version which means it is capable of doing without more equipment, right? If not, what do I need to be able to setup the flash on the side and use it off camera?

Thanks for your help.... this thing is powerful and new compared to my others (Canon 430ex and Canon 530ex II)

Katie

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,824 moderator
    edited March 18, 2013
    I suspect that you mean to discuss the Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT, since I'm not aware of a Canon 630EX-RT flash.

Since the Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT supports both Canon radio and Canon optical wireless protocols, yes, you have "some" compatibility with the Canon 60D body since it can act as a Canon optical wireless transmitter/master.

If you want to support the "radio" wireless capabilities of the 600EX-RT flash you will need to add the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT. The radio wireless allows flash control even when direct line-of-sight between camera and flash is not possible/practical, so it's a considerable advantage over the optical wireless of the 60D built-in transmitter alone.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847531-REG/Canon_5743B002_ST_E3_RT_Speedlite_Transmitter.html

http://www.adorama.com/CASTE3.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    ... If you want to support the "radio" wireless capabilities of the 600EX-RT flash you will need to add the Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT. The radio wireless allows flash control even when direct line-of-sight between camera and flash is not possible/practical, so it's a considerable advantage over the optical wireless of the 60D built-in transmitter alone.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/847531-REG/Canon_5743B002_ST_E3_RT_Speedlite_Transmitter.html

http://www.adorama.com/CASTE3.html
    ... So, no matter what... I will need an extra part to get it working off camera?

I have repeated myself, boldfacing the critical and pivotal data point.

If you don't need "radio wireless", you can proceed with just the 60D body and your other flashes too. I think that every flash you have supports "optical" wireless flash control.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2013
    The 600EX-RT flash supports BOTH optical and radio based remote control.

The Canon 60D, by itself, supports optical remote control of flash units via its built-in pop-up flash. The 60D does not offer support for the newer Canon radio-based remote flash control.

Therefore, you will be able to remotely control the Canon 600EX-RT from your 60D, without buying anything else.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2013
    cmason wrote: »
    The 600EX-RT flash supports BOTH optical and radio based remote control.

The Canon 60D, by itself, supports optical remote control of flash units via its built-in pop-up flash. The 60D does not offer support for the newer Canon radio-based remote flash control.

Therefore, you will be able to remotely control the Canon 600EX-RT from your 60D, without buying anything else.

I tried using the 60D with flash set up directly in front of me and using the pop-up flash, but it did not trigger it. I tried doing as the manual said and still no flash - that is what led me to here to see what anyone here might suggest the settings to be or to maybe know what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any help at all. I would love to figure this out.

And, this is my only flash besides on camera now.

Thanks again
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2013
    Be sure to put the 600EX-RT in 'Slave'. You need to configure the on-board flash as well, so be sure to see that section of the manual.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2013
    After messing with my flash and camera for about an hour uninterrupted today, I have it figured out and can use it off-camera now! I am so excited! I can't wait to really play with lighting and see what this thing can do!!

Here are some quick pictures I did just messing around with it to see if it would flash different ways. I still have a lot of settings to mess with. C&C always welcome.

Alyssa_zpscf2b363d.jpg

JamieandAlyssa_zps3632f825.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2013
    Absolutely wonderful that you got this sorted out. You should be proud because the settings are not terribly obvious. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
  • Options
    The13thcrookThe13thcrook Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 20, 2013
    Canon 600EX-RT & Canon EOS 60D
    Hi Katie
    Have just seen ur port, hope u can help me.
    I'm newbie in DSLR photography, I had same ur camera and flash, i'm searching for long time how to configure the Canon 600EX-RT to work wireless as Slave with Canon EOS 60D built in flash as master,
    have gone to manual mode, selected flash control from the menu,
    flash mode: E-TTL11, selecting wirless function,
    But still not working, hope u can tell me how u configured it

Appreciated ur reply