Options

Nikon D7000

brancaleonebrancaleone Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited July 20, 2013 in Cameras
Hi had a couple of bad experiences with GPS for my D7K, does anyone out there have any suggestion for a truly and reliable GPS system? or should I swallow the price of a Nikon one?

Thank you for you comments.

brancaleone

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited June 28, 2013
    It would be helpful to know what you tried before, what didn't work, and what you expect from a GPS capability.

Also, will you be using this in open country, wooded areas, mountains and low areas, large metropolitan areas, or indoors? Please be specific.

Do you need something that is dedicated to your camera?

Can you work with something separate from your camera?

Would you be able to use a simple GPS logger which can be correlated to your images at a later time, using software?

What battery life?

What budget?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2013
    Nikon D7K dedicated GPS
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It would be helpful to know what you tried before, what didn't work, and what you expect from a GPS capability.

Also, will you be using this in open country, wooded areas, mountains and low areas, large metropolitan areas, or indoors? Please be specific.

Do you need something that is dedicated to your camera?

Can you work with something separate from your camera?

Would you be able to use a simple GPS logger which can be correlated to your images at a later time, using software?

What battery life?

What budget?

I'm not a professional photographer but I like to take any opportunity for shooting in any conditions and location I might get myself into. I like a GPS that can geotag my shots so that I can remember where exactly I shot a specific image. Sorry I'm no longer a teenager and quite often I do not remember the exact location of a shot. Also I would like to have a gizmo that should be dedicated to my camera and can easily work with Google maps through LR without the needs of additional apps and or software.
    My first one was a Precision Design, it was working very well but the cable that connects the receiver to the camera was a bit of getting tangled everywhere and after a cable replacement that it cost, almost, as the receiver and shortly the new cable got stuck to my car parking break steek I decided to go with the QSTARZ BTQ818TX coupled with the AKN7000. No cable around the blue thoot adapter it was very good in finding the receiver, very low energy consumption, and I was very happy with this solution, but not even after a year that I was using it just two weeks ago I was shooting in Acadia, after a couples of day it stopped working and I was never able to bring it back to life.

I hope you can suggest a fair not too expensive solution.

Thank you.

brancaleone
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2013
    after researching I bought the Solmeta N3 and it works a treat :D
    friend also has one and is very happy

http://www.solmeta.com/index.php/Product/show/id/2

I tried doing all the import GPX file from iPhone or a geotagger device with Lightroom but it's a pain in the butt... having the Solmeta tagging it direct in camera is perfect and it also has the indoor buffer function - so geotags with last known location when it loses the GPS signal

I'm not a professional photographer but I like to take any opportunity for shooting in any conditions and location I might get myself into. I like a GPS that can geotag my shots so that I can remember where exactly I shot a specific image. Sorry I'm no longer a teenager and quite often I do not remember the exact location of a shot. Also I would like to have a gizmo that should be dedicated to my camera and can easily work with Google maps through LR without the needs of additional apps and or software.
    My first one was a Precision Design, it was working very well but the cable that connects the receiver to the camera was a bit of getting tangled everywhere and after a cable replacement that it cost, almost, as the receiver and shortly the new cable got stuck to my car parking break steek I decided to go with the QSTARZ BTQ818TX coupled with the AKN7000. No cable around the blue thoot adapter it was very good in finding the receiver, very low energy consumption, and I was very happy with this solution, but not even after a year that I was using it just two weeks ago I was shooting in Acadia, after a couples of day it stopped working and I was never able to bring it back to life.

I hope you can suggest a fair not too expensive solution.

Thank you.

brancaleone
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2013
    GPS questiion
    I'm following my original post with an important information.
    After I contacted the vendor trough Amazon where I originally purchased the unit from, the company contacted me back and asked to send the unit in for a check. By the way it was purchased in July 2012.
    I sent the unit back and after a 4/5 days a received a message back from the company informing me that they weren't able to find out what was wrong consequently they were sending to me a new unit.
    I received the new GPS I tested it, it works very well and I hope that now it will last for some time to come.

Thank you for the inputs to every body.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,860 moderator
    edited July 20, 2013
    I'm following my original post with an important information.
    After I contacted the vendor trough Amazon where I originally purchased the unit from, the company contacted me back and asked to send the unit in for a check. By the way it was purchased in July 2012.
    I sent the unit back and after a 4/5 days a received a message back from the company informing me that they weren't able to find out what was wrong consequently they were sending to me a new unit.
    I received the new GPS I tested it, it works very well and I hope that now it will last for some time to come.

That sounds like a very good company. thumb.gifclap
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums