Options

Nikon D90 autofocus not working

syedfurquanalamsyedfurquanalam Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 25, 2013 in Cameras
Hello All,

I have recently purchased a Nikon D90 and really like the performance of this, but I am not very experienced in DSLR and still trying to learn.

From few days I am noticing my autofocus is not working and I have to manually adjust it. It was working fine few days before. I did some changes in the setup and then rested it.
Don't remember exactly but it looks after resetting only autofocus is not working.

Please help.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,877 moderator
    edited July 25, 2013
    ... From few days I am noticing my autofocus is not working and I have to manually adjust it. It was working fine few days before. I did some changes in the setup and then rested it.
    Don't remember exactly but it looks after resetting only autofocus is not working.

I believe that the Nikon D90 has both an older style AF screwdrive mechanism as well as AF-S support for lenses which have a built-in-motor. You haven't told us which lens(es) you have so it's impossible to describe an exact course of action for testing.

It's important to make sure that the AF settings of the camera are proper "and" to make sure that any lens AF settings are also set to "On".

It's also possible that the camera could be set to AF-C mode, which will autofocus continuously, but it doesn't confirm autofocus lock (so there is no "beep" or AF light in the viewfinder.) In this mode it can seem that the AF is not working correctly, because you don't get the same information from the camera.

I suggest setting the AF mode first. For the basic camera mode, using the camera's Mode dial on the top left, use one of the P, A, S, M positions. On the right top plate of the camera, press and hold the AF button and rotate the dial until you see AF-S in the top display. The camera should now be in "Single Shot" mode.

At the front of the camera, look for a lever which shows, "AF" and "M". This is the focus mode lever. Make sure it is in the "AF" position.

Now make sure that the lens is set to AF as well. This can be different for different lenses, but there is generally a slide button on the lens marked:
    A, M

M/A, M

or

A/M, M/A, M
    Choose A, M/A or A/M as appropriate for your lens and application. (Basically, choose anything but the "M" setting of the lens.)

Now your camera and lens should be set for One-Shot AF and you should get AF lock confirmation from the body.

If you are using a "G" series lens (all electronic control) and you still can't get AF, you may have to clean the contacts of both the lens and the camera body. If you don't know how to do this, it's best to find a shop or other photographer who can help.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums