Options

Oregon birds

OsoOso Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
edited July 31, 2013 in Wildlife
Just got back from two weeks in Oregon and ended up with a lot of birdie images. Three that kinda turned out:

DSC_0802-L.jpg

Mallards, Hosmer Lake

DSC_0982-L.jpg

Common murres, Yaquina Head (looks better large; here's a crop from similar image that shows incredible density of these things)

DSC_0406-L.jpg

Western grebe, Klamath Lake (this color photo may be better)

DSC_0365-L.jpg

Took this one on the Klamath Lake canoe trail. Not sure what type of bird. Help!

Thanks for looking,

Steve

Photo blog: http://stevehymonphotos.blogspot.com/
SmugMUg: http://stevehymon.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    CraigKCraigK Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited July 22, 2013
    That looks like a tree swallow.

Nice pictures. Looks like it was a fun trip.
    troublebound.smugmug.com
    "Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard, grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em!"
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2013
    Got out my field guide. That is a Tree Swallow.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2013
    Those are all nice. Unique shots. I like them all.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2013
    Hey guys --

thanks much and thanks for the bird ID!

Steve
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2013
    Interesting head-on grebe shot, but (personally) would've preferred a much lower pov for this and the other grebe / mallard shots.
    Each to their own, of course :)

pp

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=235019&highlight=coot
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2013
    Interesting head-on grebe shot, but (personally) would've preferred a much lower pov for this and the other grebe / mallard shots.
    Each to their own, of course :)

pp

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=235019&highlight=coot

Not a bad idea. Took the mallard photo from a kayak and was pretty low but could have held camera over water I suppose. I was sitting on a pier for grebe photo -- there was room to lay down and get a foot or two lower. I'll give it a shot next time!
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    As I have no useful practical experience of taking (low level) pics from a kayak / canoe I've no idea whether the following is possible.

I am aware though of the differences (in results) that small changes in distance above water level make tho - and I'd be considering making some sort of (removable) support rig that could be hung over the side of the kayak. The gear you're using would let you get closer to water level than mine, but just holding it - unsupported - over the side - especially if trying to track a moving subject would be a difficult ask, imo.

However, trying it first - in a convenient environment - is a good first step, to see if you like the results :)

(lens centreline to water distance of the linked shot in previous post was probably 100 > 120mm btw)

pp
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2013
    I think in stillwater -- and the water was very still for the mallard photo -- it would be possible to hold over the side. Maybe a little awkward but do-able. I have a Nikon D5100 and even with telephoto lens it's not that heavy. The 5100's screen also pivots which is very useful when holding camera over head or away from body. I'll give it a try next time on the water and see how it looks.

And if the camera goes for a swim, I'll blame you! :)

Steve
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Oso wrote: »

And if the camera goes for a swim, I'll blame you! :)

Steve

Being blamed is one thing - getting the bill is another :)

Will be interesting to see how you get on ...

pp