Options

Homepage Gallery block sorting & description options

ShemmersShemmers Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited August 1, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Perhaps I am in the minority, but I always kept my galleries on one page and in chronological order with the most recent galleries/events at the top. The old design allowed me to manually arrange my galleries for the home page, an option that seems to have disappeared and instead the default/only option is alphabetical. This makes little sense to me. I always opted for manual arrangement for the old smugmug since 'most recent' is unreliable in that if I add a photo to an old gallery, it shoots to the top, breaking the order if things.

I also had date and location information in the gallery description and I see no way to display this information. Perhaps deeper customization might allow this, but I haven't found a way so far. I would like a second line of text (smaller, different font options?) underneath the title of the gallery pic in the 'bottom bar' to display the description if possible. I like the clean no-text look, but the option should remain for more information if needed.

Otherwise, looking good so far.

Comments

• Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    What me said
    Ok, I still don't get it. So for the galleries block on the homepage, if I choose 'recent galleries', I can see the gallery description on a second line of text as I would want to see (though no option to turn it off). If I choose my own galleries, it's not there.

Still can't figure out organizing the galleries if I do choose my own galleries. First of all, it's difficult to add galleries since it is a folder at a time. And I have no way to order them as I mentioned in the first post.

What about adding the homepage itself to the SmugMug Organizer page? Keep the customize page for site wide changes and still allow organization on the only page that really matters.
  • Options
    ctvaderctvader Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Shemmers - its not just you. I also kept my photos sorted by gallery on the old site. Now I have the same situation as you. I also ran into an issue where I can only have 20 galleries on a page... I have 79. I got around this by using folders but its not how I want it. I need to spend some hours with this but a migration document would be helpful.
  • Options
    GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    ctvader wrote: »
    Shemmers - its not just you. I also kept my photos sorted by gallery on the old site. Now I have the same situation as you. I also ran into an issue where I can only have 20 galleries on a page... I have 79. I got around this by using folders but its not how I want it. I need to spend some hours with this but a migration document would be helpful.

There is a limit of 20 galleries on a page? Crap. This could be a problem for me. I haven't gotten far enough into my experimentation to realize this limitation.
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Gary - I have a case open with a SmugMug support right now so I will post when I hear back.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    There is a limit of 20 galleries on a page? Crap. This could be a problem for me. I haven't gotten far enough into my experimentation to realize this limitation.

Yeah, I thought I'd try another approach and use the Multiple Photos block and use the 'choose photo' selection. I thought I might just recreate the old gallery page by having a photo from each gallery. But this is a dead end. 20 photo limit and no organization possible. They are in the order you first choose them.

I often wonder why we aren't able to add a date to the galleries (more like an event) so that we had an option later to arrange by this date and not by most recently modified.

I suspect we will get passed by on this issue since these pages are going to be much more server/bandwidth intensive, and they will be looking for ways to minimize page loading size. Still, I'd settle for My top 30 or 40 if I could just arrange the damn things myself or by a date I give them.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Shemmers wrote: »
    Perhaps I am in the minority, but I always kept my galleries on one page and in chronological order with the most recent galleries/events at the top. The old design allowed me to manually arrange my galleries for the home page, an option that seems to have disappeared and instead the default/only option is alphabetical. This makes little sense to me. I always opted for manual arrangement for the old smugmug since 'most recent' is unreliable in that if I add a photo to an old gallery, it shoots to the top, breaking the order if things.

I also had date and location information in the gallery description and I see no way to display this information. Perhaps deeper customization might allow this, but I haven't found a way so far. I would like a second line of text (smaller, different font options?) underneath the title of the gallery pic in the 'bottom bar' to display the description if possible. I like the clean no-text look, but the option should remain for more information if needed.

Otherwise, looking good so far.

Check out the 'Folders Galleries Pages' app.
    You can set to sort by 'Organizer Position'. When you sort in the organizer, that app will automatically have the same sort order.
    The app has the following sort orders: Organizer Position, Date Added, Date Modified, Name.

Folders Galleries Pages.png
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    richW wrote: »
    Check out the 'Folders Galleries Pages' app.
    You can set to sort by 'Organizer Position'. When you sort in the organizer, that app will automatically have the same sort order.
    The app has the following sort orders: Organizer Position, Date Added, Date Modified, Name.

Folders Galleries Pages.png

Using the organizer is useless for ordering galleries since these galleries reside in folders that are themselves ordered. I have many folders based on the countries I have been to for example. If I put the French folder in front of the Swiss one, how am I supposed to put a newer Swiss gallery ahead of a french one? I would have to put all my galleries in the same folder for this approach to work which defeats the entire purpose of the organizer's folder structure.

One way to deal with this, I suppose, is to allow for virtual galleries that are copies of the real ones that can be put into their own folder and then manually reorganized using the organizer. Maybe they somehow keep their folder info? No idea. But as is, I still have no way to arrange galleries in any meaningful way.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Rich - I think the issue is how some of use folders or galleries. While I used folders (categories on the legacy site) before I was always able to display all my galleries on the legacy site, regardless of the category/folder they were in. These galleries would be sorted by date created and the photos in the gallery would be sorted by date taken. When trying to mimic the behavior of the old site there appears to be a limit of the number of galleries that can be added - tuesday evening it was 20, last evening it was 39. Is there a limit to the number of galleries that can be added? I have a case open with SM but I can't seem to get this very simple question answered. Is there also a migration guide or document that states the differences b/t legacy and new? This would be extremely helpful.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Shemmers wrote: »
    Using the organizer is useless for ordering galleries since these galleries reside in folders that are themselves ordered. I have many folders based on the countries I have been to for example. If I put the French folder in front of the Swiss one, how am I supposed to put a newer Swiss gallery ahead of a french one? I would have to put all my galleries in the same folder for this approach to work which defeats the entire purpose of the organizer's folder structure.

One way to deal with this, I suppose, is to allow for virtual galleries that are copies of the real ones that can be put into their own folder and then manually reorganized using the organizer. Maybe they somehow keep their folder info? No idea. But as is, I still have no way to arrange galleries in any meaningful way.

The more I think about it, the easiest way through this problem is to allow users to add a date themselves to the gallery. Then you could sort by 'date provided' or something. Could, by default, be added automatically based on the date of the majority of photos in the album. Sorting by date added or date modified provides no control, and galleries I don't wish to see (like those used for making links in blogs) are at the top if I do anything to them. This method leaves everything else alone and satisfies those of us who live chronologically.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I just tried to add the galleries to my home page and it seems the limit is now 48. Very confused on why this number keeps changing.

Error:
    You have reached the limit of 48
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    Interesting. I came back to this thread to mention that I was able to put more than 20 galleries inside a single folder.

Based on the other responses here, it appears that the upper limit has shifted. That's good news. The fact that there is an upper limit is not-so-good news.

Gary
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I heard back from SmugMug support and this is what they said. What does pagination mean?

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to SmugMug. As you can imagine, we are a bit overwhelmed at this time. We really appreciate your patience as we try to get back to you as quickly as possible.

You can turn the pagination option on in the gallery block to show all galleries. You can only display 48 galleries if you choose them or are using recent galleries.

If you have not had a chance to yet, please take a moment to check out some of our new help pages for the New SmugMug here: http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I think pagination refers to the image buffering they have to do to render the pages (but I'm not sure).

Regardless, you can turn on pagination for a set of galleries by going into customization, and selecting the wrench for the gallery container. On the Display tab is an option to turn pagination on or off.

Gary
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I think this is a bit of a bummer for me - I wish we could have unlimited galleries.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    ctvader wrote: »
    I think this is a bit of a bummer for me - I wish we could have unlimited galleries.
    If I understand their response correctly (which may be an incorrect assumption), I think if you turn on pagination you can have unlimited galleries in a folder.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    I just tried adding all my galleries to my home page with pagination turned on and it's still not working. I think I have an idea - maybe i'll do two gallery block but it breaks the chronological setup I used all the time on the legacy site. I'll keep plugging away.