Lightroom Upload Problem

Ken KKen K Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited August 13, 2013 in SmugMug Support
Working in LR5. Installed the latest version of the SmugMug Plugin, version 2.0.1.2.

Created a new gallery via LR. Added a photo to test the upload. Tried to Publish and got this error dialog box below. So I tried to add an image to an existing gallery which I have used with LR many times and got the same error.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Ken
Ken Kovak
KenK Photography - Lehigh Valley, PA
http://kenkphotography.smugmug.com

Comments

• RichmondImageRichmondImage Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Having a similar problem, I dunno if it is the new site or the new lightroom but i hope this gets fixed soon
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 31, 2013
    Please contact the helpdesk with steps to reproduce and potentially send a zipped .lrcat file via this website...
    https://www.hightail.com/dropbox?dropbox=SmugMug

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • DimaDima Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2013
    I am having the same issue with LR 4.4, Smugmug Plugin 2.0.1.3.
    I've installed the plugin, and tried to republish one of the existing galleries.

UPDATE: Creating a new gallery and uploading it, works fine.
    edited August 1, 2013
    UPDATE2: Republishing the new gallery several times eventually puts the plugin into the same state, as described in the original post.
  • bentleygbentleyg Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Same here
    Here's the message I'm getting: SmugMug API returned an error message (function nil, message nil)
  • LouBLouB Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Same issue here.. LR4, latest pluggin on my slideshow gallery. It seems I have an orphan photo. One I deleted on SM but not via LR
  • Jesse SJesse S Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I'm also getting the "SmugMug API returned an error message (function nil, message nil)" message with LR 5, Smugmug Plugin 2.0.1.3 on a gallery that worked at first and now does not.

----

Just tried it with Lightroom 5.2 RC and got this message:

Can't update this collection. SmugMug API returned an error message (function nil, message Bad Request)
  • Jesse SJesse S Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Figured it some of it out
    I just did some testing on a new, empty gallery. This is with Lightroom RC 5.2 and the newest plugin.

For me, it fails when you try to re-publish a modified photo that has been deleted or moved with the online Smugmug Organizer and not via the Lightroom Publish Service.

Publishing new photos works and re-publishing existing photos works, but only if there are no photos in that gallery that are marked "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" and are missing. Otherwise it will fail.

So check your problem published galleries to see if Lightroom lists any "Modified Photos to Re-Publish" that were deleted or moved from the gallery with the Organizer.
  • StopDownFireStopDownFire Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I have Lightroom 5, and the uploader was working great until I switched my site over to the new version. I don't get any errors popping up, but Lightoom is stuck on 2 processes: 1) Creating gallery and 2) Exporting to gallery. Neither of those processes is making any progress on the progress bar.
  • toddsipestoddsipes Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Lightroom Plugin Broken?
    I just tried to create a gallery and upload new photos from Lighroom after the design change. Now I just keep getting this error over and over again? I depend on Lightroom publishing. HELP!
    oDfg2VF.png
    edited August 2, 2013
    Todd,

I see that you have updated to plugin version 2.0.1.3...is everything working for you now ?

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • bmcnabbmcnab Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Same issue..........help....
  • brianplafertebrianplaferte Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2013
    Issues with syncing/uploading to new Folders
    This morning I upgraded to the latest plug-in version (2.0.1.5) after publishing my site on the new SmugMug.

Then I tried to create and upload a new gallery (gallery created through Lightroom). The gallery did not appear on SmugMug, and the upload failed. I tried again with a new gallery name, same issue.

Next I got brave and decided to sync a folder. The results are terrible of course. The two new galleries that do not show up in the Smug Mug organizer have appeared as the only galleries in Lightroom. None of the galleries that are appearing in Smug Mug show any longer.

At this point it is not possible to use Lightroom to sync to my Smug Mug site.

Hopefully the attached image showing the plug in manager, my Smug Mug folder and it's contents, and the Lightroom view of the folder after syncing can give you a clue as to what is going on.
  • pygmyowlpygmyowl Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Same problem
    Same problem here. LR5. Latest update. Unveiled new site. Gallery upload no workey. Just jumping on the thread so that I can get the solution.
  • pdevisserpdevisser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2013
    Lightroom 5, Smugmug plugin 2.0.15. I use the catalog on both a Windows 7 desktop machine and Mac OS X (10.8.4) laptop.

I've noticed a few things. It works "sometimes" on the Windows machine. It fails everytime I've tried it on the Mac since I've updated to version 2 of the plugin.

When first updating to version 2 of the plugin on the Mac and syncing, it lost ALL the images. I had to resync many times. Eventually I gave up and resynced on the PC and it got all the images back after several tries.

On the Mac in the last 30 minutes I have tried to add images to a gallery. I have tried deleting images from a gallery. I have tried updating images within a gallery. Each test was done with a single image at a time. Each test was done with an existing gallery with existing images. It failed every time with the error "SmugMug API returned an error message (function nil, message nil)"

I haven't managed the images via the smugmug organizer. I prefer to manage them exclusively via lightroom.
    edited August 2, 2013
    LR v4.4
    Plugin v2.0.1.5

1. Updating existing galleries doesn't work (message as in the original thread)
    2. Creating new galleries works for me

While #1 is being debugged and fix, will use manual workarounds (getting images to smugmug via a new gallery and moving them to the existing via the organzer)
  • thefellathefella Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    I'm getting the same problem and error about 'function nil, message bad request'. It was working fine with the new site until I updated the plugin just now.
  • OjaOja Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Also, the latest plugin version STILL doesn't deal correctly with virtual copies. If it finds a virtual copy it links it at the copy location in Lightroom, giving you an option to link it to another picture in the conflict resolution dialog. You get no feedback whatsoever which is the original and which is the virtual copy which is now even worse of a problem in the new smugmug because the web interface gives you no feedback whatsoever on this either, not in Organize nor in the galleries except when you force the use of the old gallery style. Publishing in Lightroom to the original or to the copy updates both the original and the copy.
    I noticed this again (this is a long standing bug) because originally trying to use the older plugin version messed up the folder structure in Lightroom.
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    devbobo wrote: »
    Todd,

I see that you have updated to plugin version 2.0.1.3...is everything working for you now ?

Thanks,

David

I am still seeing this error on version 2.0.1.5 when I republish an existing Gallery. I have found that deleting a gallery and recreating seems to reduce the problem - however I wont be sure about that until I completely republish all my gallery's and start adding updating them with more / edited photos.

Also - a question ... is this the best place to report bugs on the plugin? I'm half convinced there are issues around the plugin exporting keywords which are set to not export in Lightroom and would like to raise this.

Thanks

Alan.

PS - I should mention I am using smart galleries in LR (5.0) but doubt that is relevant.
  • bmcnabbmcnab Registered Users Posts: 3 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Same issues.....
  • toddsipestoddsipes Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    devbobo wrote: »
    Todd,

Thanks,

David

Unfortunately, no. My workaround was to create the new gallery in the Organize tool of the website, then I could refresh the plugin and upload from there.
    edited August 2, 2013
    Also of note ... I also saw this error when I tried simple operations in Lightroom (5.0) such as trying to change the privacy of a gallery. ie it was not related to the image publishing process.

Alan.
    edited August 2, 2013
    I'm seeing the same error which occurs either on publishing / updating photos and also occurs when simply changing the gallery privacy within LR (5.0) Plugin 2.0.1.5.
    I've found deleting and re-creating my galleries within LR seems to help ... but jury is out on this.

Alan
  • brotherjugbrotherjug Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Lightroom plugin error
    Im getting an error trying to republish a gallery from LR 5.

Can't update this collection.
    SmugMug API returned an error message (function nil, message Bad request)

Nothing weird that I can remember doing. But I do know that I had to change the gallery from Hide Owner...yes, to no, because if you create a gallery from LR with Hide owner at yes, the design gets all messed up. Really. I;m nor kidding.

But lets focus on this error.

Thanks,

Mark
  • StopDownFireStopDownFire Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    After reinstalling the plugin from scratch with a newly downloaded plugin file from SmugMug, I seemed to be making progress. Until it gets here and just locks up. Progress bar is still animating, but not moving forward. 2nd attempt. 4 hours and counting.

Edit: Lightroom 5.

i-89vxzsc-M.png
    edited August 2, 2013
    I've just pushed a new version (2.0.1.6)

This version should...
    1. This should fix the problem where albums fail to update after attempting to remove a photo
    2. I've also added some additional debugging code in attempt to track down "Bad Request" errors or any other outstanding issues

if you are affected by #2, please enable Logging from within the SmugMug plugin on the Plugin Manager dialog. Once you have done this, please restart LR and retry whatever account is failing. You will find a "SmugMug LrPublish.log" file in your Documents directory, please email that to the helpdesk to my attention.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited August 2, 2013
    No joy here. Still the same error when I try and republish:

This plug-in’s post-processing task did not finish successfully.
    SmugMug API returned an error message (function nil, message Bad Request)
    edited August 2, 2013
    thefella wrote: »
    No joy here. Still the same error when I try and republish:

SmugMug API returned an error message (function nil, message Bad Request)

Please see my note in regard to enabling logging, i need this info if you want this resolved quickly.

Thanks
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited August 2, 2013
    I turned on (verbose) logging, tried uploading and there was nothing about it in the console.

EDIT: got some messages coming through now, so emailed.
    edited August 2, 2013
    I've upgraded (2.0.1.6 on LR 5.0) and I'm still seeing the originally reported message - logging on set to verbose.

Save diagnostics to file gives this as the content ...

Plug-in error log for plug-in at: C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Modules\SmugMug.lrplugin
    **** Error 1
    can't parse JSON at char 1 of: ‹

and the open diagnostics in notepad gives ...

08/03/2013 01:30:59 DEBUG Logging enabled
    08/03/2013 01:31:10 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - start
    08/03/2013 01:31:10 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - end
    08/03/2013 01:31:10 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.startDialog - start
    08/03/2013 01:31:10 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.startDialog - end
    08/03/2013 01:31:12 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - start
    08/03/2013 01:31:12 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - end
    08/03/2013 01:32:10 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - start
    08/03/2013 01:32:10 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - end
    08/03/2013 01:32:10 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.startDialog - start
    08/03/2013 01:32:10 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.startDialog - end
    08/03/2013 01:32:13 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - start
    08/03/2013 01:32:13 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - end
    08/03/2013 01:32:17 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.updateExportSettings - start
    08/03/2013 01:32:17 DEBUG Format: JPEG
    08/03/2013 01:32:17 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.updateExportSettings - end
    08/03/2013 01:32:18 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.processRenderedPhotos - start
    08/03/2013 01:32:19 DEBUG Checking Published Photo digest
    08/03/2013 01:32:19 DEBUG Wait for render
    08/03/2013 01:32:23 DEBUG Render complete: C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\DBE7BF65-8E41-45D7-9DEB-CFAFC2596FA7\IMG_4433.jpg
    08/03/2013 01:32:34 DEBUG Wait for render
    08/03/2013 01:32:34 DEBUG Render complete: C:\Users\Alan\AppData\Local\Temp\DBE7BF65-8E41-45D7-9DEB-CFAFC2596FA7\IMG_4580.jpg
    08/03/2013 01:32:42 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - start
    08/03/2013 01:32:42 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - end
    08/03/2013 01:32:42 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.startDialog - start
    08/03/2013 01:32:42 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.startDialog - end
    08/03/2013 01:32:46 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - start
    08/03/2013 01:32:46 DEBUG exportServiceProvider.endDialog - end

So I don't think solved yet, but many thanks for your hard work trying to resolve this.

Alan.

PS - I am now in the situation where every time I press publish on this smart gallery I immediately get the error.