Improved Gallery Navigation

HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited August 4, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
This has already been brought up on the Support Forum.

There is a very strong need to implement a clickable "Prev/Next" hyperlink to browse through successive images in SmugMug Style Gallery view. A very small percentage of users actually know to use their keyboard arrow keys and the current view can be quite confusing for users.

The arrows on either side of the thumbnails can also be confusing to users and can lead them to accidentally skip entire pages of images when all they are trying to do is to view the next image. Legacy SmugMug was much better at making it clear what the functionality was of each Next/Prev link. While the final solution doesn't need to completely mimic Legacy SmugMug, it should:

a) Be completely unambiguous to the user, which Next/Prev link is for navigating thumbnail pages v/s successive images

b) Use of words rather than arrow symbols can be better at communicating this to users. Maybe 2 alternate styles could be implemented...one for those who like a more minimalist style and another for those who'd prefer explicit words for the next/prev hyperlinks like in the legacy site
Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com

Comments

• pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Yay! My number 2 problem that stops me from moving to New Smugmug. I'm a software developer so I think of myself as fairly tech-savvy, but I was baffled when I first viewed the gallery...had no idea how to get to the next photo except by clicking the thumbnail. I agree that this is not obvious. In addition, the thumbnails give no indication of what photo you're on so it fails as a navigation method.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    pbandj wrote: »
    Yay! My number 2 problem that stops me from moving to New Smugmug. I'm a software developer so I think of myself as fairly tech-savvy, but I was baffled when I first viewed the gallery...had no idea how to get to the next photo except by clicking the thumbnail. I agree that this is not obvious. In addition, the thumbnails give no indication of what photo you're on so it fails as a navigation method.
    You can add CSS to indicate what thumb is hovered and active after click so you know what thumb you're on.

I've got it kinda working but Smug needs to add it to the base CSS for everyone.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    You can add CSS to indicate what thumb is hovered and active after click so you know what thumb you're on.

I've got it kinda working but Smug needs to add it to the base CSS for everyone.

Would you mind sharing that CSS?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    pbandj wrote: »
    Would you mind sharing that CSS?
    This is what I have but it only borders the top and left now. Also 1st time in and any page refresh it
    doesn't show until you click a thumb. Like I said, needs fixen. :D

Put in "all galleries" CSS box
    .sm-tiles-list a:focus img, .sm-tiles-list a:hover img, .sm-tiles-list a:active img {
      border: 1px solid red!important;
    }

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Al, used your "red lines" code from this page and it works for me. From a different thread it didn't.

+1 for prev/next