Remove 1000 Keyword Limit [Limit raised to 5000]

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
edited October 14, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Please remove the 1000 keyword limit on the /keyword page.

If this is not resolved before "unveil" I'll have no way to fix this as I'll only see a 1000. So I guess it
would be up to Smugmug to pick which ones are shown on the /keyword page. :huh

This will cause a tremendous amount of work, which of my 2357 "warble" keyworded photos did Smug
decide to keep? Do I have to go through all 2357 and remove keywords from 1357 so my best 1000
transfer under the NewSmug? And I'm guessing each time I add more I'll have to remove the KW's from
some old ones so the new ones show?
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Are you talking about the 1000 photo limit per keyword? I thought the keyword page actually had a keyword limit of 255, which is, I think, a different issue than the one you're raising, so your title confused me. Am I misunderstanding? Should one of us enter the "255 limit" as a separate request?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    pbandj wrote: »
    Are you talking about the 1000 photo limit per keyword? I thought the keyword page actually had a keyword limit of 255, which is, I think, a different issue than the one you're raising, so your title confused me. Am I misunderstanding? Should one of us enter the "255 limit" as a separate request?
    This refers to the actual keyword photo gallery when you click a keyword in the keyword widget box
    or the keyword page /keyword. Or coming from clicking keyword under a photo.
  • pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    This refers to the actual keyword photo gallery when you click a keyword in the keyword widget box
    or the keyword page /keyword. Or coming from clicking keyword under a photo.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I wonder if we need a separate feature request because I thought I had heard that the /keywords page only shows 255 keywords...I haven't verified that myself but I thought I'd seen some posts where folks were expressing consternation about that.
  • ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    pbandj wrote: »
    OK, thanks for the clarification. I wonder if we need a separate feature request because I thought I had heard that the /keywords page only shows 255 keywords...I haven't verified that myself but I thought I'd seen some posts where folks were expressing consternation about that.
    You are right here. The additional keyword block allows only max 255 keywords (which only makes sense when using it as cloud)

The predefined link /keyword "might" allow more but is at time being unpredictable; mine shows 100 keywords only, others complained about that they only see 50 keywords.
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    I vote to remove the 255 keyword limit and make it unlimited. If this cannot be done, then I would expect a detailed explantation as to why. What actually is the "cloud" list vs the "real" list?

I vote to remove the 1000 image limit for images meeting a keyword search.

I vote that SMugMug takes a huge fast look at the whole keyword programming on the new system. Sometimes keywords find images and sometimes not. Very random. From all the different threads, the keyword software is very broken in multiple places (not just the new limits issues).
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Watching
    Watching this thread.... and created new topic for the 255 limit.
  • pelzmannpelzmann Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 6, 2013
    An unlimited keyword option is desirable, however, I would much prefer the ability to limit keywords by frequency count.
    Since frequency count is already used to establish the top 255 limit. This should be easy to implement.

Rather than showing a long list with every keyword, I'm sure many would prefer to limit their keywords to those with 1,2,3, or more occurrences - whatever it takes to create a manageable list for viewers.
    edited August 6, 2013
    pelzmann wrote: »
    An unlimited keyword option is desirable, however, I would much prefer the ability to limit keywords by frequency count.
    Since frequency count is already used to establish the top 255 limit. This should be easy to implement.

Rather than showing a long list with every keyword, I'm sure many would prefer to limit their keywords to those with 1,2,3, or more occurrences - whatever it takes to create a manageable list for viewers.
    100% agree.
    edited August 6, 2013
    Fine. Provide OPTIONS for how to use keyword searches. You folks who like the 255/1000 limit could have an area of options for y'all to use that satisfy limiting the return from searches and in another area we would have the PAGE for UNLIMITED Keywords/Results. This would make us both happy. Seems like this was almost the intent under the NEW SmugMug, only it doesn't have the options and there is something strange the way it works. Very valid reasons for UNLIMITED keyword/results are offered in other keyword threads here.
    edited August 6, 2013
    Fine. Provide OPTIONS for how to use keyword searches. You folks who like the 255/1000 limit could have an area of options for y'all to use that satisfy limiting the return from searches and in another area we would have the PAGE for UNLIMITED Keywords/Results. This would make us both happy. Seems like this was almost the intent under the NEW SmugMug, only it doesn't have the options and there is something strange the way it works. Very valid reasons for UNLIMITED keyword/results are offered in other keyword threads here.
    I am happy. I can have unlimited keywords (30 per image) and the option not to show them. But if I change my mind I would like to have it in my hand which to show, without to much manual work. Because some of my images might hold useless keywords (like germany, animals) which would make them prominent in a keyword list.

I guess we both (pelzmann and me) are talking about displaying options, not the results showing up by doing a search by keywords. Of course all hits / images should be returned when searching for a certain keyword and I believe they still do, even when at the moment only 1000 images are shown for a single keyword when clicked on it.

I just reply to Allen, who complained about the 1000 hit limit first, if I remember it right. Do you believe humans go through 118 pages with 2000something warblers or whatever? Do you? Would this kind of "structure" user friendly and nice?

But I shouldn't talk about things, I haven't encounter myself yet and can't prove. Maybe the 1.000 limit is just a rumor. Maybe indexing wasn't finished at that time.
    That for I will upload 2.000+ images provided with the keywords "test" and see myself. The first 600 are already uploaded while typing this, but the keyword is not in the list, nore is to search for it yet.
    edited August 6, 2013
    ablichter wrote: »
    ..if I change my mind I would like to have it in my hand which to show, without to much manual work. Because some of my images might hold useless keywords (like germany, animals) which would make them prominent in a keyword list....
    On the legacy site there was a javascript hack to hide certain keywords. I used this to hide keywords
    like "hidden_photos" so I could pull up a list of all hidden photos, otherwise there was no way to locate
    them. http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=45195#8
  • DesptachesGalleryDesptachesGallery Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    I vote to remove the 255 keyword limit and make it unlimited. If this cannot be done, then I would expect a detailed explantation as to why. What actually is the "cloud" list vs the "real" list?

I vote to remove the 1000 image limit for images meeting a keyword search.

I vote that SMugMug takes a huge fast look at the whole keyword programming on the new system. Sometimes keywords find images and sometimes not. Very random. From all the different threads, the keyword software is very broken in multiple places (not just the new limits issues).

100% Agree - it's always been a bit buggy - slow to update, no real mapping diagram from either EXIF or IPTC, broken/missing keywords on downloading originals.

Keywords are broken, full stop, so therefore this affect Smart Galleries.
    edited August 8, 2013
    I added to another thread that even with the 255/1000 limit, when using SEARCH and putting in a keyword, the system may say it found 1000 images but is only actually showing me 170 images and sometimes only 70 out of that 1000. Also no Next Page option. Bug?...just saying! Believe I added this to the Bug Report thread. Check there for updates.
    edited August 15, 2013
    The following was created because Smugmug currently limits the /keyword page to 255 KW's and the
    KW photos to 1000.

I found a work-around to show all my keywords (~850) using the search page. I added an HTML box
    above the search box showing ALL my keywords. I even started making each KW a link so when
    clicked it brings up its page of photos. Going to take awhile though with that many. Haven't figure out
    how to hide bottom scroll bar yet. In the screen shot I searched for the warblers KW then hovered the
    flycatcher to show the hover highlight of one of the links I added.
    edited August 15, 2013
    Your keyword system looks great!
    Looks like you have already made modifications, like got rid of the scroll bar, added a box around them, and they all appear to be clickable and they ALSO tell you how many images are tagged by each keyword! WOW!

Can you give us the code for how you did all this? Fabulous work! Now why could SmugMug not have come up with this?!
    edited August 15, 2013
    Looks like you have already made modifications, like got rid of the scroll bar, added a box around them, and they all appear to be clickable and they ALSO tell you how many images are tagged by each keyword! WOW!

Can you give us the code for how you did all this? Fabulous work! Now why could SmugMug not have come up with this?!
    I opened IE (logged out) and copied out the legacy site keyword list and pasted into notepad.
    Here's the top part. Still adding links going down the list.
    <span style="font-size: 170%; color: gold;">Try these search terms</span>
    <span style="color: gold; margin-left:20px;">This is a list of all my keywords including ones not on the Keyword page. Copy and paste into search box below. Some are active links to click.</span><br />
    <a href="/search#q=i've+been+spotted">i've been spotted</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  
    <a href="/search#q=need+id">need id</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  
    <a href="/search#q=1922+mercer+runabout">1922 mercer runabout</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  
    <a href="/search#q=acadian+flycatcher">acadian flycatcher</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  
    <a href="/search#q=accipiters">accipiters</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  <a href="/search#q=airplanes">airplanes</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  <a href="/search#q=albino">albino</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  <a href="/search#q=allen's+hummingbird">allen's hummingbird</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  <a href="/search#q=alley+spring+state+park">alley spring state park</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  <a href="/search#q=alligators">alligators</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  <a href="/search#q=allred+lake+natural+area">allred lake natural area</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  <a href="/search#q=altamira+oriole">altamira oriole</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  <a href="/search#q=american+avocet">american avocet</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  <a href="/search#q=american+bittern">american bittern</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  
    <a href="/search#q=american+black+duck">american black duck</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>  
    <a href="/search#q=american+coot">american coot</a>  <span style="color: yellow;">&#8226;</span>

"Just this page" CSS
    .sm-page-widget-1539169 {
      height: 200px;
      overflow: scroll;
      overflow-x: hidden;
      border: 6px double #222;
      background: rgba(22, 22, 22, .40);
      padding: 0 10px;
    }

HTML box CSS - The "a" color is so I know what has added links and where I'm at in editing.
    a {
      color: #fff;
    }

a :hover, a:hover {
      color: gold;
    }

I will eventually remove all the font color on the individual bullets when all links are added and just add the color the the CSS.
    edited August 15, 2013
    Cool, I get the idea. I have created a keywords page on my legacy and copied them all to mac textedit. Deleted almost all the ones with the junk numbers in them. Created a text block on my keyword page and pasted them in. None are clickable at this stage. I then went in to the text block and have started adding the css code to each one (did about 5 or so). Added your other code to css and html. Instead of pasting in the "keyword shown, I have typed in the text to the two places. All the new keywords are green. When I hover over one, it turns yellow. All the dots are yellow between them. Have some spacing issues and some of the previous dots are still there...so, just minor cleanup I think. One thing it does NOT do is tell me how many images are connected to the keyword. I have left the original pasted keywords on the same page which are non-clickable of course. WOndering what I did wrong to not get the number of images?

When I click on a NEW keyword, it takes me to the search page, enters the keyword, finds images and tells me there how many images were found. With one keyword with over 400 images attached, it appears all the images show up. As I scroll down the page, the scroll bar keeps adding to itself as it builds more images beneath the screen. WOW! Like it really is going to show them all instead of that 70 or 170 glitch using the SmugMug method. I didn't get the box around the keyword, but maybe you did not supply that above or I put it in the wrong place.

I have TONS of real keywords, so this is going to take quite awhile adding in all the code in front of and surrounding each keyword - but folks, THIS IS WORKING (except showing the count at this time). Worth the effort to play with this! Can't show my results as still in Preview mode.

Obviously, with this method, you will have to go back to this list and add any of your new keywords for new images and you need to add them to the correct alpha placement.

Thanks Allen for working on this. Any help with my issues above?
    edited August 15, 2013
    Lots of manual work but "search & replace" saved a bunch of typing.
    I did some bulk "replace" in notepad. I started with the dots so could replace things like dots with
    • with
    with
    with
    edited August 15, 2013
    "Just this page" CSS was were I added the box stuff for scroll bars, etc.
    edited August 15, 2013
    Watch how you create your links! I already had a Keyword Menu item pointing to a page http://www.southeasternphotography.com/Keyword (which is a user page - uppercase "K"). When I added the keyword page to legacy, it creates a system page using /keyword (lowercase "k") and brought it over to the NEW site. Thought I had lost all my edits cause I clicked on my user menu item. Created a new Better Keyword List menu item pointing to /keyword and there were all my changes! Word to the wise!!! Hahaha! Whew!

When adding the css code to the keywords, found there needs to be a space at the end of each line (making one line per keyword so I can keep track better). That space is not showing up against my black background. That fixed my extra dots and needed spaces between "keyword . next keyword . etc". Hope this is helping someone! I will be stopping adding more clickable keywords until I can figure out why it does not show number of images attached to the keyword.

Hey Allen, coding genius, can you figure out how to get the most used keywords to be bolder? :)
    edited August 15, 2013
    I like how you have your site now without the scrollbar. Works fine to jump down to any given alpha area for perusal. I have this working just FINE! Now I have to make a copy of my text edit and play with the major bulk replaces without screwing up the original file. I'm going to point some other people to this thread 'cause it is VERY useful right now. Can't thank you enough. Also, I am wondering whether SmugMug "fixed" the SEARCH function so it shows all the files now...just going to regular search and using the same keyword that used to only show 70 or 170 files now seems to give ALL files found.

You need to add /Custom Keyword Genius to your Customization FAQ Banner/Navbar/Slideshow Tutor in your address thingie!!! :)
  • BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    The following was created because Smugmug currently limits the /keyword page to 255 KW's and the
    KW photos to 1000.

I found a work-around to show all my keywords (~850) using the search page. I added an HTML box
    above the search box showing ALL my keywords. I even started making each KW a link so when
    clicked it brings up its page of photos. Going to take awhile though with that many. Haven't figure out
    how to hide bottom scroll bar yet. In the screen shot I searched for the warblers KW then hovered the
    flycatcher to show the hover highlight of one of the links I added.

Wow, that's a lot of work to get around SM's unreasonable keyword limit. I can only conclude that you rarely, if ever, need to add/change/remove keywords, right? Because otherwise the code on that page would be a bear to maintain.
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
    edited August 15, 2013
    But the sucker works! And you are right BigRed! If nothing else, SM could provide us with a solution to show ALL keywords as simple text and let us provide the page where the user could AT LEAST cut and paste into the search box. Dang, they have it in legacy! Too bad right now for those who already unveiled. Not sure how Allen is getting his keywords unless what we see of his page IS still his legacy system - which makes some sense. However, with his blurb on how to do bulk work on the text list, this should not take too much time. It's the NEW keywords, as you said, that will be a bear to maintain each time we upload new images. It's better than anything SM is giving us right now.... And it gets me one step closer to unveiling.

Anyway, BigRed, I cannot argue with a thing you said!

Actually, I wonder if in Allen's NEW system whether it is giving the number of files attributed to each keyword...assuming we are still looking at his legacy system. Wondering if there is a css command for that or whether it is javascript that does that.
    edited August 15, 2013
    I ended up using Excel to parse out to columns so I could place the name into to link. Then add the +'s for space between multiple word KW's.

The whole thing would of been much easier and very much faster if I stated with excel adding all the segments into
    columns and then &ing them back together. The 800+ would of been done in minutes.
    edited August 15, 2013
    Cool thought! Will look into that method! Thanks.
    edited August 16, 2013
    It Worked for ALL my Keywords - Allen
    Well, I used Excel...cumbersome getting rid of stuff but came up with a method using multiple cells and using a formula (EX: B34&C34&D34&E34&F34 in cell A34). Worked like a champ. Then copied all the cells to reflect that. I had over 2000 keywords (need to clean some up still). Apparently, this is a huge tax on SmugMugs servers when you paste them into a TEXT block all at one time. If you have text and and the CSS code at the top of that TEXT block, do that first and get it just how you want it. Save it and then go back in to paste your keywords CSS routines. Once you paste that many in, it appears to freeze that window. WAIT! A warning block will appear saying the page may not be responding and you can either kill the page or click WAIT. CLICK WAIT! You may get this several times and then all your words appear in the text box and formatted on the screen underneath. Once done, SAVE again and Publish Now. You may get the wait box again. Keep clicking WAIT. Then, you have it - ALL your keywords are now clickable. If you go back in to change the text at the top, you are going to be kinda in trouble due to the delay...just can't seem to get anything done. I wound up getting out and deleting that TEXT block and just redoing it with the change, saving, going back in and pasting the words.

This really works, but you will be investing some time getting your keywords all set up and ready to copy and paste. It was worth the 3 hours or so it took me. Once doing this, you will have to keep modifying your Excel file with new keywords for your new images. Update your Excel. Delete the TEXT Block, recreate it and the CSS and Upper text. Save, go back in and Paste in the whole list again.

OR wait for SmugMug to figure out many of us WANT our whole keyword list available for our clients and see what they do to fix it so you don't have to go to this much trouble.
    edited August 16, 2013
    After you & the cells together I click the column, copy, them paste back as values to remove the formulas.
    That's what I use to paste in text file. All the M$ apps seem to add a bunch of crap code. Never paste from
    a app directly to a webpage, always go thru notepad.

I keep the html in a text file, easy to edit there. Add any new KW's I'll just edit/add in there. I copy whole text
    and paste in new each time.
    edited August 18, 2013
    Went back and used Excel to change the keyword list that you see, to uppercase first character for each keyword, including multiple keywords. Worked great. Used the PROPER formula. Then copied the result to a text file under Macintosh text edit app. Then selected the text edit text to paste into the SM page (created a new PAGE instead of using the /keyword page). Still takes a long time to process (click on WAIT). But still works! Found that if I use a search for a keyword, it takes me to my Better Keywords page to show what it found. If I scroll down, I find the images that it found. A bit strange. I will be deleting that "page" and see what happens next. My Preview site now has a keywords menu item, a Better Keywords Menu item, and an All Keywords menu item. Will get rid of at least one.
    edited August 18, 2013
    I added non-breaking spaces and non-breaking hyphens so it didn't wrap to two lines. Couple examples.

<a href="/search#q=black_bellied+whistling_duck">Black&#8209;bellied Whistling&#8209;duck</a> <span style="color: yellow;">•</span>
    <a href="/search#q=blue_headed+vireo">Blue&#8209;headed Vireo</a> <span style="color: yellow;">•</span>
  • thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2013
    You might find the code tidier if you use CSS for that purpose instead:
    <a style="white-space:nowrap;" href="/search#q=black_bellied+whistling_duck">Black-bellied Whistling-duck</a>

You can also add this CSS to your theme instead to avoid wrapping inside keywords sitewide. (I haven't tested this code out yet, but it should work!)