Options

No Particular Place

nganga Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited August 5, 2013 in Journeys
Here are some shots from a recent moto trip - It appears my Canon S100 lens is scratched. Can you tell from these photos?

I left Ellijay, GA, rode through Copperhill, TN, and got on TN 68 and rode it until I reached Joe Brown Highway - just north of Coker Creek Elementary School on the right. This road is turns to gravel for about eight miles and then back to pavement, which eventually takes you into downtown Murphy, NC. I fueled up, ate a late lunch, and headed east on Hwy 74. After a brief detour to locate a gravel road (FS 423), that was closed, I made it through the Nantahala Gorge, Cherokeee, NC, and arrived at the Blue Ridge Parkway at around five. Here are a few pics to get started:

001-M.jpg[/URL

003-M.jpg

On TN 68 - headed north

004-M.jpg

Joe Brown Highway

006-M.jpg

007-M.jpg

008-M.jpg

013-M.jpg

014-M.jpg[/URL

At the intersection of Joe Brown Hwy and Burrell Mountain Road:

016-M.jpg

I picked up the pavement here

020-M.jpg

021-M.jpg

[IMGhttp://1492.smugmug.com/Travel/Moto-Trip-July-20-21-2013/i-vXfBChW/0/M/022-M.jpg[/IMG]

The closed FS road I was searching for:

024-M.jpg

026-M.jpg

I turned in at the Pisgah Mountain Campground, but it was still early, and the riding was great. I pressed on, thinking I could make the campground at CrabTree Falls - on the Parkway - before nightfall. Now, some Parkway Pics:

029-M.jpg

035-M.jpg

036-M.jpg

038-M.jpg

Figured I get this one while I was going by:

044-M.jpg

046-M.jpg

I pressed north on the Parkway, but soon realized I may not make the campground at CrabTree Falls before nightfall and I opted for the Super 8 in Black Mountain - I stayed here in March 2013. This decision proved to be a good one, as I later discovered the campground I was headed for was closed!

050-M.jpg

That evening, I headed to the Ale House, another place I visited in March, enjoyed a Shiva IPA - by Asheville Brewing Company, and a large salad - with steak! The next day, I headed up Hwy 70, where it intersected with Hwy 80 - this road goes under the Parkway and keeps heading West - I think. Hwy 80 is fun - I passed a beautiful lake, rode tons of curves, and got stopped by a preacher - yeah no kidding. Just prior to the preacher encounter, I pulled over to take a few pics, and a guy in a black Honda van drove by and waved - I thought nothing of it, and he probably didn't either, at least at that momment. A few miles up the road, this van eased over to shoulder of the road, as if he was waving me on by. As I got closer, he motioned for me to stop. I did and he stated that he was having trouble with his vehicle, and asked if I could hear it. I replied, no since I had my earplugs in. He gave me his name, and explained he was supposed to preach at Mt. Celo Church that morning. He asked if I was continuing on Hwy 80 beyond the Parkway and I replied no. He stated he really needed to get a message to the church, and I said sure, I'll go tell them. He told me some landmarks to look for, and I headed that way. Along Hwy 80 - before the preacher:

056-M.jpg

060-M.jpg

061-M.jpg

064-M.jpg

064-M.jpg

067-M.jpg

After arriving at the church, I entered the sanctuary, where about 10 or 15 people were having Bible study. I asked the man seated in the back pew if he attended the church regularly, and he replied it was his first time. The next guy I spoke with, an older gentlemen, stated he attended regularly. I explained to him the preacher, gave his name, was stranded on Hwy 80 - east of the Parkway. The church member stated, "we'll I wonder why he hadn't shown up let." This guy walked out of the with me, and head toward his car, a '39 Ford, which would not crank. He borrowed another person's vehicle, and left rescue the stranded preacher.

066-M.jpg

I headed toward the Parkway too, and eventually arrived atop Mt. Mitchell

073-M.jpg

079-M.jpg

082-M.jpg

A gravel road off the Parkway:

090-M.jpg

083-M.jpg

Mt. Mitchell - on the way up, a black bear darted out in front of me. It happened really quick and it was moving fast. Thankfully it was about 15 yards in front of me, so no worries.

092-M.jpg

The Parkway was closed just south of Mt. Mitchell:

094-M.jpg

I headed back north on the Parkway - to Hwy 80, to Hwy 70, and back into Swannanoa. I was gonn eat at a BBQ place; however, it was closed. I choose Pizza Hut instead and decided to dry out some:

096-M.jpg

After lunch, I jumped on I-40 until it reached Hwys 19/23/74 West. I got drenched heading out of Asheville in the worst thunderstorm I have ridden in. I was headed home, so I didn't care. Back on 74, close to Bryson City, NC, I passed what looked like a great friend - he was headed east on his motorcycle. I quickly turned around, and as I caught up with him, he was beginning to pull over, as he recongnized me too. We chatted for a few minutes, as the rain began to pour...again - that was the highlight of my trip - running into a great friend close to the end of a long ride.

Here are the ending specs:

097-M.jpg[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    What a cool travelogue. . . . Makes me miss my bike. Thanks for having me along.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 739 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Beautiful shots. If my S100 is capable of that I haven't been using it right. I certainly haven't been taking it anywhere with such lovely scenery.
    ~~Barbara
  • Options
    ccriderccrider Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Looks like you had a nice/interesting ride, thanks for taking us along. Also looks like another ADV rider wanders over to Dgrin.... You can never have enough moto shots.
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    I'd keep an eye out for the guy on the blue bike. He seem's to be following you every where you go. Could be casing you looking for a opertunity to steal your camera!:D