Untitled by Shutter_Inc., on Flickr

my Kurilian Bobtail

9430146827_f821908042_z.jpg
Untitled by Shutter_Inc., on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    Nice. I like shooting flim a bit. If it weren't so expensive I wouldn't have a digital I don't think. I've still got and use a little a Yashica 635, Pentax 645 II and an RB 67. Fun fooling with exposure's with the manual cameras. And waiting on the results to return is like waiting on an order from an old Sears catalog!
  • Options
    AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    I think next paycheck I will order some black and white developing equipment so I can at least processes the negatives myself and save a little money in the long run. Ive got way more B&W film than color laying around.

Ive got the Rolleicord, Yachica MAT EM, Nikon FM2 and my buddy is sending me his Nikon FM10 for some reason. He said he doesnt ever use it any more but with the FM2 I dont think I would really bother using the FM10 ever.
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    I've got a complete dark room with two enlargers. Does 35mm and med format. No idea how to use it and no place to set it up. Have a nephew that's gonna get it soon as he has a place to set it up.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2013
    if i had all that equipment id make room haha.
  • Options
    superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Great shots. In a lot of cases I still prefer the "look" of (and regularly shoot with) film. I'm having fun with some decent 35mm stuff but regularly cruise craigslist for medium Format stuff. It getting hard to resist. I'm fortunate enough to have a decent(ish) lab here in town though which makes a lot of difference. I subscribe to the Ken Rockwell school of though on it generally.

(I now duck and exit the room) rolleyes1.gif
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    superduckz wrote: »
    Great shots. In a lot of cases I still prefer the "look" of (and regularly shoot with) film. I'm having fun with some decent 35mm stuff but regularly cruise craigslist for medium Format stuff. It getting hard to resist. I'm fortunate enough to have a decent(ish) lab here in town though which makes a lot of difference. I subscribe to the Ken Rockwell school of though on it generally.

(I now duck and exit the room) rolleyes1.gif

what is the Ken Rockwell school of thought? ne_nau.gif

I love film and would choose it over digital (well, over my D300 at least) if the situation allows. Most of the time though my classes are digital so I dont have a choice. I am in a 4x5 large format class though which is super fun. My teacher is awesome too and im going to talk with her about doing extra work on the side and possibly even seeing if she would take me under her wing and let me be her protege deal.gif

i know this isnt overly exciting but here is the contact sheet from the 4x5 project that I photographed above.

8B0B77E7-4BDD-4DCE-9C0A-7F0B003E9FEA-80448-0000618B7F194F5D_zpsb5bad656.jpg

two weeks ago we learned how to correct convergence on buildings and last week we did it again on cereal boxes in the studio. So instead of looking up, we were looking down on the subject. We learned how to adjust the movements to control the focal points so that the corrected image would be completely in focus. one of my corrected ones is slightly off but damn near close.

tomorrow i should have my 35mm negatives back from the test roll i put through my new to me Nikon FM2. Hopefully everything worked great and I can start shooting with that now too :D

Edit: Not sure why its upside down but you get the point
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I have recently discovered film again having been all digital for quite some time. I'm having the time of my life shooting 4x5 and 35mm and developing black and white and C-41 at home. Next up in home development is doing some E-6!

Feel free to check out my blog for some of my most recent work: http://blog.kabbotthpoto.com/

Digital is great for a lot of things, but those 4x5 negatives are hard to beat! I scan them at 2400dpi and end up with 90-100 megapixel tiff's when I'm done.

Once you learn to develop and scan for yourself, the cost of shooting film plummets. Just the other day, my Canon 5D battery charger died and I began to lament how much film I could have bought for the cost of the $65 replacement charger.

If you haven't visited the Film Photography Project, that's also worth looking up online as well. They have a podcast, forums, and a store with some neat film that would be hard to find elsewhere.

Cheers,
    Karl
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    karlabbott wrote: »
    I have recently discovered film again having been all digital for quite some time. I'm having the time of my life shooting 4x5 and 35mm and developing black and white and C-41 at home. Next up in home development is doing some E-6!

Feel free to check out my blog for some of my most recent work: http://blog.kabbotthpoto.com/

Digital is great for a lot of things, but those 4x5 negatives are hard to beat! I scan them at 2400dpi and end up with 90-100 megapixel tiff's when I'm done.

Once you learn to develop and scan for yourself, the cost of shooting film plummets. Just the other day, my Canon 5D battery charger died and I began to lament how much film I could have bought for the cost of the $65 replacement charger.

If you haven't visited the Film Photography Project, that's also worth looking up online as well. They have a podcast, forums, and a store with some neat film that would be hard to find elsewhere.

Cheers,
    Karl

thank you for all the information! I can develop B&W but have never done color. I cant imagine its too hard just much more time consuming. I have a nice scanner at school but opted to not take up so much time scanning as the digital dark rooms have been having issues lately and everyone was waiting to get to a computer.