Options

More Old Farm Structures

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited August 7, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
It's amazing to me how they'll push the use of these old buildings to the absolute max. I wouldn't get near some of these things and, yet, I'll see folks going in and out on a regular basis.

Summer%202013%20173-X3.jpg

Summer%202013%20127-X3.jpg

Summer%202013%20158-X3.jpg

This one probably also housed people

Summer%202013%20179-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2013
    Fun series! I wouldn't go near some of those!
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I really like the sky in that first one. My skies always look blown.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Really fine images Tom!
    Those places look downright awesome to visit, much less photograph!
    I like the optimism of the braces in #3... You know, you could fix the shack in #2 with the skew tool in PS lol3.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Juano wrote: »
    Fun series! I wouldn't go near some of those!

You know, Cristóbal, those mountain men must think that they're indestructible. I've seen them continue to use old barns that are far worse off than these. Amazing.

See you,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    I really like the sky in that first one. My skies always look blown.

I hear you, Josh. I think we all have to deal with the sky issue at times. Sometimes, nothing we can do seems to help.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    Really fine images Tom!
    Those places look downright awesome to visit, much less photograph!
    I like the optimism of the braces in #3... You know, you could fix the shack in #2 with the skew tool in PS lol3.gif

You know, Eric, I kind of suspected it was you who unleashed the hounds on me. I was just waiting to compile more evidence. But then, of course, nothing beats a confession.:D

To date, I've accumulated images of over 300 different old farm buildings. It's taken me quite a while ( years ) to do that and I've covered quite a lot of territory in my quest. I guess getting chased by dogs twice is a small price to pay....considering the delicate position I put myself into on a number of occasions.

Take care, buddy,

Tom
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Boy, love that last one! Are these in Flordia?
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2013
    DonFischer wrote: »
    Boy, love that last one! Are these in Flordia?

Hi Don,

Thanks for looking in. This group of old buildings was spread out in Northeast TN / Northwest NC. When you're on the extreme back-roads I like to travel....calling them a real road is a real stretch sometimes, often they're nothing more than gravel trails requiring 4-wheel drive....and you're near the State line, it's often not clear just what State you're actually in.

Tom
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    I just love the last shot..... the building just looks inviting. The photo speaks and I can't take my eyes from it. Thanks for posting it. I have an online friend that takes photos of forgotten places and I'm sure she would love these photos. http://www.forgottenplacesphotography.com/
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2013
    DJT wrote: »
    I just love the last shot..... the building just looks inviting. The photo speaks and I can't take my eyes from it. Thanks for posting it. I have an online friend that takes photos of forgotten places and I'm sure she would love these photos. http://www.forgottenplacesphotography.com/

I have to agree, David, that there's something mesmerizing about that last building. From some distance away from it, I was compelled to get closer. There's no telling what stories that old place holds secret. It's finds like this one that keep me trudging through the mountains.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2013
    Another nice set Tom thumb.gif

The last image of the house; it's interesting to note that they purposely chose to build it into that little hillside. This was certainly not by chance, as they could have saved a lot of labor and concrete by simply locating it out a bit further. My guess is that they used the "in ground" portion for a kind of food cellar and also to help keep the house cool.
    Randy
  • Options
    edited August 3, 2013
    rwells wrote: »
    Another nice set Tom thumb.gif

The last image of the house; it's interesting to note that they purposely chose to build it into that little hillside. This was certainly not by chance, as they could have saved a lot of labor and concrete by simply locating it out a bit further. My guess is that they used the "in ground" portion for a kind of food cellar and also to help keep the house cool.

Yo brother,

I think you're absolutely right about why they built that house into the hill. A lot of folks wouldn't have picked up on that. As a wily old Texan, not much gets by you.

Now, I know you've got a picture or two that you can throw our way. Starving us of your talents just ain't right.

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I like how they keep them upright. It's nice to see them do that so the building is around longer. Wouldn't want to walk in one tho.
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I like how they keep them upright. It's nice to see them do that so the building is around longer. Wouldn't want to walk in one tho.

Hey Mary,

You see quite a few of these old buildings propped up. I've even seen one with an old truck backed up against the side in an effort to stall the inevitable. Like you, I wouldn't go in a lot of them on a bet.

See you,

Tom