Organization of files at gallery level

ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited August 7, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
Anybody else having problems with organizing files at the gallery level in the organizer tool? For one thing, the order they appear as thumbnails in the organizer tool isn't even close to the order they appear in at the actual gallery. It's inconsistent because in some galleries it matches and in others its not even close.

Second, anybody else miss the file numbers missing in the organizer tool? I shoot sports sequences and Smugmug loaders rarely (never have) get them in the correct order. In the old Smugmug, we had file numbers next to the thumbnails so it was easy to manually reorganize the images. Now there are no file numbers and the thumbnails are too small to easily see what order they should be in (hard to see the sometimes subtle differences in sequences). Please give us our file numbers back.

Other than that (and the non-customizable contact page that doesn't match the rest of my site), I am loving the new Smugmug.

http://www.plsphotography.com

Comments

• sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    A few other people have been experiencing the issue with the order in the organizer, join us: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=237730

I do miss the file names. I haven't had to play around in the organizer much yet, but I'm really dreading the first time I upload a gallery from a vacation where I've used multiple cameras because I can't do a simple sort by name or even date taken (because my cameras often aren't set with the right date or time). It's going to be really hard to get the sort order right.
  • ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Thanks Sarah. Glad to hear it's not just me. I wrote something on the Smugmug facebook page about this and Andy replied saying they were working on adding the file numbers back into the organizer (hurray!).
  • ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    By the way Sarah, it's pretty easy to synchronize your cameras so they have the same date and time. I shoot sports with several cameras so it is critical for me to have them synced. I have another issue though that forces me to use manual organizing. I shoot with multiple cameras (which means I have to load by date not file number) and I shoot high action sequences. I have cameras that shoot up to 12 frames per second. When I try to load multiple images that were shot within a second, the loader only sees the integer second and not the fractions of a second. Not even sure if the metadata contains fractions of a second. As a result, sequence shots often end up loading out of order and have to be manually arranged. That's when I start seeing things messed up in the organizer. The only thing Smugmug could do would be to write their software such that when it sees images coming over with the exact same time and date, that it arranges those particular images by ascending file name. This is not a new problem. We had to do this with old Smugmug as well. It's just that then we have file numbers and it was fairly easy to rearrange the sequences.
  • sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Yeah, I'm sure it's easy - I just never think about it until it's too late and I've already taken a bunch of shots. And, then I upload iphone pics and videos in there too, and well, it just becomes really difficult to sort. It was easy in the old Smugmug because of filenames, but also because I trusted the interface. Now, I don't trust it because it will randomly rearrange! In any case, sounds like some work is being done on the organizer, so hopefully it all gets fixed!