Options

Before Sunrise: 10/27/2005 shem creek by ginger

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 31, 2005 in Landscapes
41803473-L.jpg

This is just the photo without the poster:

41803455-L.jpg

ISO 800, F 5.6, 1/320/ EV 0, 400 mm lens

I forgot to take out the dust spots, darn! I will do it, no need to tell me.
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    Awesome and love the poster too

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    SallySally Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    before sunrise
    Wonderful. I can really feel and smell and hear the atmosphere. Takes me back to the South of my childhood...
    Sally
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    Thanks, Fred and Sally. It was a gorgeous morning, and it turned into a gorgeous day. Clouds did develop as the day went on, but it was still nice. I took my usual 400 photos, but I probably have more to work up.......than usual.

I was chimping every time I got to the car. A very long full day.

ginger (Cool, probably a high in the low 60s, but this AM, it was in the 40s........that is cool for the first time this fall.)
  • Options
    Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    Wow, you nailed it
    Exposure is perfect and it actually looks like pre dawn. Color is gorgeous! Interesting composition. Were you after the bird or the boat? I vote for the boat. Can you clone out the piling in front of the boat? If not it's still a good picture. I like it.

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    Hi Ginger, I really look forward to seeing your landscapes. You live in a great area and your pictures are getting better all the time.

I really like the poster version.
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Very nice Ginger..... I'd hang that one up....
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    help???
    I will get back to you all. I have to leave NOW. I have just spent hours trying to take the post out of the bottom of this photo as it appears to annoy some people.

I can't do it without obvious ruination in the process.

Any advice?

Any thoughts on whether the post, the lighter one, hurts this photo, and, if so, how would you remove it.

I have cloned, used the patch, done everything, in magnification and all. I cannot match everything, and it looks terrible. I ditched it, and I have to leave now.

Any suggestions???????

ginger
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I will get back to you all. I have to leave NOW. I have just spent hours trying to take the post out of the bottom of this photo as it appears to annoy some people.

I can't do it without obvious ruination in the process.

Any advice?

Any thoughts on whether the post, the lighter one, hurts this photo, and, if so, how would you remove it.

I have cloned, used the patch, done everything, in magnification and all. I cannot match everything, and it looks terrible. I ditched it, and I have to leave now.

Any suggestions???????

ginger

Sorry Ginger. I didn't mean to screw you around. I only asked if you can clone out the piling but I also said that it's still a good photo even if you can't. I agree that it's a very difficult clone job but you don't have to turn it into a career :): Please don't go beating yourself up over this because as "ehughes" said ... I'd hang that one up". And so would I. You really should consider framing this.

Bob
    See with your Heart
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Oh, Bob, I am sorry. I just finished some "work", and I saw your response. I wouldn't have written that if I had meant you.

I put it in a contest thing, and I am getting comments there about the post. And a good photographer friend, not very active here, she mentioned it.

I was just frustrated at myself that I couldn't do a simple "clone" job. Then I left the house. When I got home I started working a few up. Now I am going to post them and go to bed.

I am really sorry. I appreciate everything everyone has said. So nice, the comments! I would like to hang it, we will see. And I am reconciled to the post now. It is a price I pay for shooting the Creek.

Thanks for re responding, and I am sorry I implied that I might have been bothered by what you said. I was more bothered about entering a photo that was being criticised there. I have so much going on right now. And one thing leads to another.........as things do. I didn't get what I went for tonight, I got something else instead.

Ginger:D
  • Options
    johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    Wow! I just hope you remember the little guys here at DG when your famous.

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2005
    You are working that 400 like you should G. You inspire me. Thats beautiful thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2005
    Hope you don't mind but I like it so much that I saved the low res version here to my computer. I realize that it's too small to do anything with but it looks good on my monitor and I love collecting pictures.
    Bob
    See with your Heart
  • Options
    LadyhawkVALadyhawkVA Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    I like the photo and the poster treatment a lot. In an ideal world, the post wouldn't be in the foreground. In the real world, it's there and you couldn't do much about it without losing this shot and getting something else entirely. Truth be told, the post does not make much difference - this is still a great shot.

It's great to get feedback from people about our photos, but the photographer ultimately has to decide which critiques are realistic expectations given his or her circumstances, skill levels, etc. You did your best to work on the post, just leave it at that.

It's also great to study good photos, like this one, and think about how they could be improved - this helps us learn and hopefully improve our own photography. Believe me, I would be very proud to have taken this photo.
  • Options
    madiggmadigg Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2005
    Ginger
    Thanks for the great Photo, Now I really miss by brother's cooking... you get any shrimp that day..
  • Options
    msdremsdre Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2005
    home sweet home
    i only lived incharleston for two years, but your pictures always make me miss home (the home i made in charleston). nice job
  • Options
    tinbashertinbasher Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Ginger,

Your work always has a beautiful feel to it!! Very nice indeed. May I ask what frame action you use for your photos? I like it as it is simple and doesnt take away from the photo.

Cheers, Tony
    If a tree falls in the forest...did anyone get a picture of it?
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2005
    Hello,

When I first saw this my thought was something like "I would have done something about the piling in front of the boat. She left it there and it looks good - I'll have to think about that next time."

I like it.

I have to admit I'd clone out the front piling. But it is often much easier to make a cloning job look good on a small web version than on a large print.

If you wanted to send me a large file I'd take a shot at it, with the clone on a separate layer so you could do with it as you wanted.

Or just leave it and don't worry about it - it's a very pleasing photo.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2005
    Everyone thanks, thanks so very much. Have had in mind constantly that I need to answer all these wonderful responses.

Time got away...................but my thoughts were there.

Whoever wants, anytime, may lift my stuff and use it.

This particular photo is for sale on my site, I don't always get things put out. So ask if you want something out there.

Also, I have been lowering my prices. The prices where this photo is, they seem reasonable to me. I have 100s of "sales" somewhere this year, and I have not made a dime. That was my fault as I was slack at pricing things.

Also my stuff for the church was free, also for Katrina. I now have priced that stuff, most of it, if it even is for sale, the same as this photo.

Some of my landscapes and birds are way overpriced. I am in the process of lowering those prices so always ask me. I am also trying to get 2 calendars ready for christmas and cleaning out two hard drives, plus taking photos etc.

If prices are ever a problem, please just ask. I am not making any money now, not making a bit more would not be a problem. Any comments on the prices, say on this photo, 4 X 6's are 90 cents, 5X7 about 5.00, etc. I would appreciate feedback.

The low resolution and the large sizes, feel free to lift. I do it, and I expect others to do it. I am just worried that people have been coming in, not my friends, and taking advantage of a situation somehow. Since it said I have like 500 sales, and I have made no money, something seemed a bit off, so I am feeling my way here.

I am just so happy that you all like this photo. I appreciate all the feedback. And the feedback re the post has been very useful.

Thank you so much.

ginger

www.gingersnap.smugmug.com