Options

Javascript support in HTML customisation

TalkieTTalkieT Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
edited August 8, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Removing Javascript removes a huge set of capability from customisation options.

Your new editor parses and removes Javascript from the HTML blocks.

I request an option to bypass the javascript filtering in the HTML block if a user accepts an "at their own risk" clickthrough. Even happy for future support to be contingent on temporarily removing the Javascript elements from the customisation.

Regards
Neil Gardner
--
http://www.nzsnaps.com (talkiet.smugmug.com)

Comments

• Options
    AdamNPAdamNP Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    TalkieT wrote: »
    Removing Javascript removes a huge set of capability from customisation options.

Your new editor parses and removes Javascript from the HTML blocks.

I request an option to bypass the javascript filtering in the HTML block if a user accepts an "at their own risk" clickthrough. Even happy for future support to be contingent on temporarily removing the Javascript elements from the customisation.

Regards
    Neil Gardner

This is exactly what I said about Javascript a few days ago. Put a big warning in red text above the JS box "we don't support this, if you break your site it's not our problem, we won't help unless you remove it"... and let us use it. Honestly, most of these new feature requests wouldn't even exist if you simply restore the use of JS.
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    The problem is that even if people agree to a warning like that... they will still be asking support for help when things go wrong. And despite the warning, if SmugMug updates their site every couple of days and the custom JS that you're using breaks as a result, you would get tired of that pretty quick and would not stay a customer of SmugMug for very long. SmugMug are looking to be able to change their site code and JavaScript more rapidly without having to worry about breaking everybody's site.

That being said, SmugMug could develop a fancier JavaScript customisation system that would sidestep some of those compatibility problems. For example, they could add support for developer-provided custom JS widgets, which developers can maintain and would automatically update on every site that has embedded one of those widgets.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    +1
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    juanherediajuanheredia Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Your "100% Customizable Engage your inner control freak and sculpt every detail of your design" advertisement on the front page is a lie or a false advertisement (legally speaking). I want to change a caption on a button, let's say I want to rename button named "Post" (in comments) to "Submit". I could have done it with javascript. Now I cannot do it. The offered templates are not "100% Customizable". No one can ever force you to allow javascript in your product. But there are (legal )ways to force you to remove "100% Customizable" from the front page advertisement.
  • Options
    DesptachesGalleryDesptachesGallery Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    Your "100% Customizable Engage your inner control freak and sculpt every detail of your design" advertisement on the front page is a lie or a false advertisement (legally speaking). I want to change a caption on a button, let's say I want to rename button named "Post" (in comments) to "Submit". I could have done it with javascript. Now I cannot do it. The offered templates are not "100% Customizable". No one can ever force you to allow javascript in your product. But there are (legal )ways to force you to remove "100% Customizable" from the front page advertisement.

The legal issues which you mention I also raised a few days back. They seem to focus, from a legal perspective, on keeping (allegedly) the patent rolls at bay rather than honouring their own legal obligations for the products and services they sell to their Clients, which has a much larger impact on SM as they are charging a fee-for-service.