Options

Video playback skipping

HometakesHometakes Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited August 8, 2013 in Bug Reporting
With the latest version of all programs on my 2013 Retina Mac Pro such as Adobe Flash etc. (yes guys, got the latest version of everything so I am up to date with software before you ask), it appears that in Smugs attempt to save bandwidth with the new version of the video player is a huge mistake. :scratch And if they say the went that way for DRM purposes (non caching of the video), then they should leave us with the choice between downloading to the cache or stream only. Customers like choices, not be told what they must eat.

It not only unsuccessfully skips and Jumps as if its missed 30 or 60 frames, but also buffers on my 25 mb download speed (and 50 of my customers emailed me to complain with the same issues too). Heres one for you to see: http://www.hometakesvideos.com/showcase/tour.php?id=3726&cat=tour&style=

Sometimes takes 10 seconds before video starts to play. Always starts at the lowest resolution so my logo on the video looks crappy as thats the first thing that rolls across the video before it switches to a higher resolution. Even if you try to keep it at 480 it still jumps up to a higher resolution as if its still on auto (and the only reason I know this was because I was testing everything). If you do decide to jump to another resolution, guess what, the video starts from the beginning (not so with Zenfolio, which by the way guys, their player plays flawlessly and doesnt reset when you change resolutions midway, not that you need to because the auto detection actually works).

For some reason only the last 1350 videos I uploaded to smug have changed to the new player. The other 800 still have the original smug player (see here: http://www.hometakesvideos.com/showcase/tour.php?id=222&cat=tour&style=)

My site is at Hometakesmedia.com in case any of you guys in the video department want to sort this out.

Dont I remember recently that my subscription doubled yet you want to save on bandwidth with this new player? :cry

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2013
    Hi!

This is an issue we are aware of and hope to have fixed soon. I will keep you posted.

Michael
  • Options
    HometakesHometakes Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 7, 2013
    Do you have a time frame on this fix? One day? One week? One month? You must have some sort of idea. I emailed smug support the moment I saw the problem. I need to be able to tell my customers an eta on this fix. They dont want to hear from me, "I Cant Tell You as its out of my hands and in my hosting companies hands and THEY HAVE NO IDEA". That doesn't cut it. This is a bad reflection on my company. Before I migrated, I test the photo side of things and all was good on that side of things, but for the life of me, I dont know why you didn't allow for us to look at the new video player and keep the old one with legacy too until the migration. That way, I could have tested it and before I migrated just as I did the photos. Then I would not have migrated until the video issue was fixed. You cant tell me that this was not possible as I still have 900 videos on the very first smug player (with the flash codes) so I know the old player works still.

All you guys in support should be pissed at whoever decided that the new look was ready for release. I see so many people complaining that they have problems. Smugs biggest mistake was not allowing the reversal of the migration so that your customers could report all the problems and then at least go back to their original working sites AS YOUR BIGGEST PAYING CLIENTS RUN THEIR ENTIRE BUSINESS FROM YOUR PLATFORM AND WHEN YOURS SCREWS UP, SO DOES OURS. As the player was not part of the migration process you really should switch back until the issue is fixed. I been with you for 5 years, if you dont get this fixed soon, I will have to leave. PLEASE HELP!
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    We made some changed I think may have fixed this, but I have reached out to get an update one way or the other. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.