Recent galleries not visible on homepage when logged out

mitchrappmitchrapp Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited August 10, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I am using the default new smugmug design and added Galleries to display above the Folders on the homepage. When I am logged in, everything looks great. When I log out, only the folders are displayed on the homepage, not the galleries. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Almost all situations where people have reported this behavior, it ended up being their folder / gallery / image settings - unlisted and private won't show to non-logged in users. Double-check all of those areas and see if you see any that are like that.

Andy
  • mitchrappmitchrapp Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    Almost all situations where people have reported this behavior, it ended up being their folder / gallery / image settings - unlisted and private won't show to non-logged in users. Double-check all of those areas and see if you see any that are like that.

Andy

I've double-checked and they are Inherited (Public). Besides, I can view them in the Folders, just not on the homepage.
    edited August 7, 2013
    Hmm, that's interesting. In the Homepage's Galleries container, what's the Select From setting set to?

What's your site url?

a.s.
    edited August 7, 2013
    I just tried to add a Galleries container to my homepage and what do you know, it fails to show when logged out, Laughing.gif. I'll keep digging as I have time.
    edited August 7, 2013
    I did figure out that it didn't show (when logged out) when I had selected Recent, but it did show when I selected from Folder and picked a folder...
    edited August 7, 2013
    The from is set to "Recent Galleries".
    edited August 7, 2013
    Yep. so it's a problem with "Recent Galleries". I just replicated your test and if I choose the galleries manually, they will show up on the homepage when logged out, but not if I select Recent Galleries.
  • BrianJABrianJA Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    "Multiple Galleries" not visible when logged out
    On my browse page I have a content box to display "Multiple Galleries" at the top, above my master categories list. This is set to display my most recently added galleries.

Everything is fine while I am logged in, but when I log out the "Multiple Galleries" content disappears and I only see the Categories listing.

This was working correctly yesterday... I'm not certain what has changed.

Any insight you can give would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    edited August 7, 2013
    Having the EXACT same problem here. Probably started around noon Eastern time for me out of the blue.

Subscribing...
    edited August 7, 2013
    edited August 7, 2013
    edited August 7, 2013
    aschendel wrote: »
    Sounds just like this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1891665

Yup. Somehow I didn't notice that thread before I posted (even though i did do a search).

I've posted in there now too.

Very coincidental.

I wonder if someone else can successfully add a "recent galleries" block to their home page or galleries page and have it be visible when not logged in.
    edited August 7, 2013
    mitchrapp - have you had any luck on this issue?

I can get the "multiple galleries" to work in every gallery selection mode, except for recent galleries (which is what I need).
    edited August 7, 2013
    No luck with Recent Galleries on the Homepage. I had to manually select the galleries for them to show up on the homepage when logged out. Hope they fix this soon. I have a ticket in with support.
  • sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Recent Galleries content block not appearing
    Am I missing something? I have a Recent Galleries content block above my Folders on my home page. It is not showing up when logged out anymore. It still shows up when I'm logged in. I don't think I did anything to mess it up - any ideas? I know Smugmug has seemed a bit slow past couple days, but I've never seen an entire block not show up.

http://sarah-k.smugmug.com
    edited August 7, 2013
    Could you please update here when you hear back from support?

Thank you!
    edited August 7, 2013
    I'm having this problem too. I just reported it in the bug forum: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238144
    edited August 7, 2013
    Looks like a bug and others are experiencing the same problem: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=238066
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Hi Guys,

I am trying to nail this down...Sarah, i see your recent galleries when I am logged out...you still are not seeing them? I see 11 galleries in total
    edited August 8, 2013
    I have this over to the developers. I merged two other threads into this one for easy tracking.
    edited August 8, 2013
    This morning this seems to be working properly again! Same for you guys?
  • JulianBJulianB Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Yes!! It has just magically reappeared for me too. Even when I'm logged out. Hopefully it sticks eh...

-j
    I replaced my car headlights with strobelights. Now it looks like I'm the only one moving.

www.julianbutler.com
    edited August 8, 2013
    Nice!

Thanks to everyone in this thread for helping to get this addressed...
    edited August 8, 2013
  • JulianBJulianB Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Ha! Yeah. That fix was all me :)

Le W00t! You're helping out with all my issues :ivar
    I replaced my car headlights with strobelights. Now it looks like I'm the only one moving.

www.julianbutler.com
    edited August 8, 2013
    Yay, they're back! Thanks!
    edited August 8, 2013
    sarahk wrote: »
    Yay, they're back! Thanks!

Still not working for me.
    edited August 8, 2013
    I've got a Galleries on my homepage pointed @ a Folder, and one below that setup for Recent Galleries which continues to only show when logged in. Some of my Recents shown when logged in are unlisted (one standard unlisted and one Event Favorites), not sure if that hurts/helps...

http://aschendel.smugmug.com/

Thanks,

Andy
    edited August 9, 2013
    The heroes used to be great and one of the reasons for staying with smugmug. They haven't been much help. I'm ready to jump ship to zenfolio.

Here's their first response after I explained the issue and pointed to this thread:

"right now it all looks good. But if you use the recent photos option chances are it's taking photos from unlisted, private or password protected galleries. If that's the case then you won't be able to see those on the homepage when logged out. The photos must come from public galleries to show up on your homepage for logged out folks."

After I explained again that all the galleries and photos are public and included screenshots, they responded with this, which I don't really understand:

"Thank you for your reply.

Your logged out page shows just the folders content box, the galleries are accessed by clicking the folder links. Once inside, your galleries will appear for them.

This is an intended behavior. If you had galleries that were not in folders, the galleries box would also be present.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do for you."

So they are saying only galleries not in folders can be shown in the logged out state?? I don't know how many more times I need to explain to them that I have populated the galleries block and if I manually select the galleries to show, they do show up in the logged out state. It's only when I set it to be from "Recent Galleries" that they do not show up in the logged out state.
    edited August 9, 2013
    I'm sure Zenfolio isn't all sunshine and roses, but the explanation offered above doesn't make much sense... We're using their tools in the way we are supposed to and they obviously aren't working when logged out. I suspect the programming which selects "Recent Galleries" has a bug in it or it needs to filter out galleries that cause the whole bar to not show.

Andy