Options

Custom URL in Gallery settings should check for special characters

phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
edited August 8, 2013 in Bug Reporting
Hi...

When using a Custom URL in the GallerySettings with special characters depending on the local language the SmugMug view might not open a photo when click on a thumbnail. This depends on the browser being used.

It took me a while to figure that out, see Screenshot. Ü is a special character that can be replaced be ue in germany.

I was selecting the local event name as title which contains special characters (part of the German language). I did not take care about the CustomURL.
When i open that gallery in Opera browser a click on a thumbnail will not open the photo in bigger resolution on the right. In Firefox that is working. If i change the CustomURL only using characters from a-z and 0-9 everything is fine, even in Opera.

Not sure if that is a bug or a feature request. Would be nice if there is a URL-check in the gallery settings which will warn the user about characters that my not work in URLs in any browser.

Comments

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Hmmmmm not sure either. I have submitted it for review
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    Hi...

When using a Custom URL in the GallerySettings with special characters depending on the local language the SmugMug view might not open a photo when click on a thumbnail. This depends on the browser being used.

It took me a while to figure that out, see Screenshot. Ü is a special character that can be replaced be ue in germany.

I was selecting the local event name as title which contains special characters (part of the German language). I did not take care about the CustomURL.
    When i open that gallery in Opera browser a click on a thumbnail will not open the photo in bigger resolution on the right. In Firefox that is working. If i change the CustomURL only using characters from a-z and 0-9 everything is fine, even in Opera.

Not sure if that is a bug or a feature request. Would be nice if there is a URL-check in the gallery settings which will warn the user about characters that my not work in URLs in any browser.
    Browser should take care of this and escape those characters; my Opera (V15.0) open galleries with umlauts without any problem and also open images in larger resolution.
    Maybe a problem with a certain template?
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    ablichter wrote: »
    Maybe a problem with a certain template?

For sure not because after update ü by ue everything works. This is not a template problem.

As i mentioned it works in Firefox so i'm sure it is a browser specific problem.

That's why i mentioned a small warning like a little red text above the CustomURL-field that pops up when special characters are being used and that shows something like this:
    Some browsers may not be able to handle special characters
    (Sorry for my english, the developers can use a better text if needed)

I'm now aware of this problem and will hopefully never use anything else then a-z and 0-9. Since the URLs are now case sensitive in new SM special characters may just be another problem.
  • Options
    ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    For sure not because after update ü by ue everything works. This is not a template problem.

As i mentioned it works in Firefox so i'm sure it is a browser specific problem.
    Ah so. As I mentioned umlauts work in my Opera, so it might be a problem of your browser. And of course "ue" "oe" "ae" works in every browser.

When I said it might be a template issue, than because as said browser should be aware of special chars (e.g. umlauts), but maybe a template behaves different and prevents browser to escape / encode the characters. According to RFC 3986 special chars have to be percent-encoded. For example "ü" to "%FC".