Copyright in Footer?

TheBradfordTheBradford Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited August 9, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I know if I put an HTML block at the bottom and input © to get the (c) symbol lets me do a copyright mark, but how do I put the current date in there too in a way that when 2013 turns to 2014 it is just automatic?
Bradford

Comments

• jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I know if I put an HTML block at the bottom and input © to get the (c) symbol lets me do a copyright mark, but how do I put the current date in there too in a way that when 2013 turns to 2014 it is just automatic?

The only way I know to do that is with javascript or php and both of those tags would get stripped out.
  • TheBradfordTheBradford Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    AGH! Why is it that SM did so much cool stuff for the remodel but in the process got rid of so much important stuff!?!?!?!?! this is such :bigbs :hang
    Bradford

AGH! Why is it that SM did so much cool stuff for the remodel but in the process got rid of so much important stuff!?!?!?!?! this is such :bigbs :hang

This wasnt really a feature they took away. They took away javascript capability which make sense in the big picture. They could make this a widget pretty easily. Make a request for it and I am sure they will get to it.
  • DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I don't see why they needed to remove the feature. As seen in other threads, people have just removed the Smugmug Branding using CSS. What are they going to do, remove CSS?

I want to be able to customize the site. I saw the new Smugmug and thought "WOW. This is great, I can customize is so much"... Until I found that the tags were removed. Now I can't add extra features like Accordions for FAQs, etc.
    edited August 9, 2013
    There is so much they are getting to... I guess I'll wait for now.
    Bradford

DanCarl97 wrote: »
    I don't see why they needed to remove the feature. As seen in other threads, people have just removed the Smugmug Branding using CSS. What are they going to do, remove CSS?

I want to be able to customize the site. I saw the new Smugmug and thought "WOW. This is great, I can customize is so much"... Until I found that the <script> tags were removed. Now I can't add extra features like Accordions for FAQs, etc.

I have a legitimate question so please dont take it the wrong way. Do you really not understand why they took away JavaScript functionality or is this a case of being bummed because they took away a feature that you (and many others used)?

The majority of us on this forum are the minority when it comes to SmugMug customers. We are the ones that like to tweak, tinker and fiddle around with our site to see what we can do with it. Many customers take the site as is and use it. So something that is incredibly important to us isnt very important to the masses. Trust me I am bummed about no javascript either.

But with that said, I totally understand why they dont allow it. They are trying to build a framework that allows for easy growth and upgrades. With all the different javascript customizations out there on the legacy site, they have no way of knowing when an upgrade is going to break some customization. By disallowing javascript they have much more control of the product and can provide a more stable and better underlying platform.

I do think an approved JavaScript library that we can choose from would be awesome. Basically some drag and drop widgets for things like CurrentDate.

A site that we can customize as much as we can for less than 200 bucks a year is pretty impressive. There is always the option of using the API and building a fully custom site where you can do whatever you want.

I am bummed they took some features away for sure, but at the end of the day is it that big of a deal?
    edited August 9, 2013
    jwashburn wrote: »
    I have a legitimate question so please dont take it the wrong way. Do you really not understand why they took away JavaScript functionality or is this a case of being bummed because they took away a feature that you (and many others used)?

The majority of us on this forum are the minority when it comes to SmugMug customers. We are the ones that like to tweak, tinker and fiddle around with our site to see what we can do with it. Many customers take the site as is and use it. So something that is incredibly important to us isnt very important to the masses. Trust me I am bummed about no javascript either.

But with that said, I totally understand why they dont allow it. They are trying to build a framework that allows for easy growth and upgrades. With all the different javascript customizations out there on the legacy site, they have no way of knowing when an upgrade is going to break some customization. By disallowing javascript they have much more control of the product and can provide a more stable and better underlying platform.

I do think an approved JavaScript library that we can choose from would be awesome. Basically some drag and drop widgets for things like CurrentDate.

A site that we can customize as much as we can for less than 200 bucks a year is pretty impressive. There is always the option of using the API and building a fully custom site where you can do whatever you want.

I am bummed they took some features away for sure, but at the end of the day is it that big of a deal?

I don't know enough about javascript to be upset that its gone. I'm upset by the fact that many aspects that pro members liked in regard to customizing capacity is now no longer gone BECAUSE javascript is gone and SM in turn didn't figure out and build things into the new SM that resolves these issues. I mean really, how is there not a simple "copyright footer" option somewhere in settings just like how you put social icons? or for that matter a private clients section.

I don't understand, as you said, why there isn't a library of options to keep things cleaner as the whole kicker to getting rid of JavaScript was because it was so messy and lacking uniformity. I get the reason it is gone is uniformity, what I don't get is why certain things weren't considered as options/functions when deploying New SM.
    Bradford