Options

Feedback please Candid Portrait

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited August 9, 2013 in People
I think it has been years since posting in this category usually chasing critters and birds.
Was at a equestrian event for my niece and caught this scene in the horse barn.

Connection
DSC_8340-XL.jpg
nikon D3 400mm @ f5 1/250s ISO3200
small crop to remove fence pipe, slight noise reduction Capture NX2 Cloned oout a rope running through frame
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Well i will be honest with you, I took me while to figure out what I was looking at. After a few seconds I noticed the horse. Maybe my brain is still sleeping. Anyhow, the picture has emotions and that is a good thing. However the combination of semi silhouette and a busy background just doesn't do it for me.
    Try to use a fill-in flash. This will allow you to bring forward the person and horse. Nice try.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Agree with Stephan cc. I do like the rim lighting on her face, very nice for her.
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,276 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Yes, it took a minute to see that she was with a horse. I love the lighting on her face, but can't tell what she's standing next to.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    DonFischerDonFischer Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Horse people would notice the horse right away. I really like it! Doesn't do much good to ask a dog lover that doesn't like cats what he thinks of your cat photo! I see lots of photo's of stuff, for lack of a better word, that I can not understand for the life of me. Other's think the thing is fabulous! Go figure!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 9, 2013
    I think the reasonably sharp bright background is a real negative in this image. It took me several seconds to recognize the horse too, I guess I am not a true equestrian. My eye was just captured by the texture in the background and took a while to escape.

The scene of the girl with the horse is captivating, I agree, but the bright background is just to overwhelming for this image to really succeed.

I think one might be able to substitute a new, darker, softer background and help this image quite a bit, if one were so inclined.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    Er.... I spotted the horse immediately, but yes I am a horse person :D That said, I agree with the nits the others have raised. What does it look like cropped in from the left?