CS5 and Windows 8

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited August 17, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
Please move this question to the right thread if this is the wrong one .. thanks :D

I just had my computer replaced by Dell and it has windows 8 on it. Sadly my Photoshop CS5 doesn't work on it. I get a box popping up. I've talked with Dell and they're sending me out another brand of video card to see if that will help. From my reading on the issue online some have issues with photoshop on windows 8 while others don't. Does anyone know if just putting in another brand of video card will remedy the issue or is there other problems within the software that 'just doesn't work with w8'?

I've attached a screen shot of the box that pops up. Any action mentioned in the box has been worked with and it doesn't fix the problem.

Comments

• basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    cant be Windows
    i have no problem , and my graphic card is 6years old

what brand card you have ?
    and , more important ; you sure you have the correct driver ?
    basically you have 2 options
    -let Windows Update do it for you
    -download latest driver from the manufacturer of the card

since i dont trust Windows Update , i usually use the second option
    just make sure you use the correct driver
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 10, 2013
    Here is the official list of tested and Supported video cards for Photoshop CS5:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/tested-video-cards-photoshop-cs5.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 10, 2013
    It appears that Windows 8 may need to have Adobe Air installed first before trying to install PS CS5:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973006
    ziggy53
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    Hello Ziggy and basfit --

Thank you both for your help. The graphic card in my computer is the AMD Radeon HD 7700 series. They are replacing it with a nVidia GeForce GTX 660. All my other computers with Dell have needed a nVidia card to run photoshop smoothly. Odd I know, but it was did the trick.

All drivers (windows, photoshop and video card) were updated and the issue still continues. I will uninstall photoshop and install Adobe Air first and see how it works. I did check out the link to the graphic cards tested. I don't see either cards I've mentioned on the lists headscratch.gif
    edited August 10, 2013
    the nVidia card should work normally
    use the latest driver strait from nVidia site
    the new drivers have an option for clean install , this option cleans old driver-settings

i think the Radeon also should work normally
    you connected a power-supply cable ?
    that is nessesary for cards like this
    edited August 10, 2013
    The following page claims success for the NVidia GeForce GTX 660 on PS-CS6:

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PhotoShop.htm

If all else fails, perhaps upgrade to PS-CS6?

If you should decide to upgrade to PS-CS6:

Go to this page:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?promoid=KFPRM

Choose either Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop CS6 Extended and click the "Buy" link. This should bring up some options including:

I want to buy: "Full"
    ... is default, but if you click the little down arrow you can select "Upgrade".

When you choose the "Upgrade" option and the product you are upgrading from you should see CS6 Upgrade for US $199.00 and US $399.00 for PS CS6 Extended Upgrade.
    ziggy53
    edited August 10, 2013
    I uninstalled Photoshop CS5 and Adobe Air. I then reinstalled Adobe Air. My anitvirus went haywire so I had to uninstall that and reinstall it. All seemed fine so I reinstalled Photoshop. Still the same issue, but my antivirus keeps turning off and on again :cry
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    I get that message with CS6 (running win 7), and when I click off on it things run ok, even though I have a less-than-optimum, generic video card. HOWEVER... I'm convinced that said less-than-optimum, generic video card is the source of many of my photoshop crashing problems. (NEVER AGAIN will I have a computer with onboard video. Live and learn.......... )
    edited August 11, 2013
    divamum wrote: »
    I get that message with CS6 (running win 7), and when I click off on it things run ok, even though I have a less-than-optimum, generic video card. HOWEVER... I'm convinced that said less-than-optimum, generic video card is the source of many of my photoshop crashing problems. (NEVER AGAIN will I have a computer with onboard video. Live and learn.......... )

Interesting that you get it with CS6 on win7 and I get it with CS5 on win 8. Opposite since Ziggy said CS6 works good on win 8. My CS5 ran beautifully on win 7.

If things run okay when you click it off - do you miss out on an editing options? Does it effect any edits you may make? Also does it effect how one sees a photo? I don't have a clue what GPU enhancements are. I probably should check that out.
    edited August 15, 2013
    I'm really having a problem now. My photos look terrible on my monitor using CS5 on Windows 8. I even looked at other photos online and my website. They look over done and have a look to them that I can't explain. But when I look at the same photos on my old computer with Windows 7 they look fine. Why would that be?
    edited August 16, 2013
    i am pretty sure its a driver issue , not Windows or Adobe
    you installed a driver ? or Windows did ?

you should go to manufacturer site and download the driver from them

AMD
    nVidia

select the correct ! card and Windows-version ( 32 / 64 bit ) and download + install

edit ;
    i dont like the "auto" stuff
    i always select manually instead of let these site make a choice for me
    edited August 16, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    ... My photos look terrible on my monitor using CS5 on Windows 8. I even looked at other photos online and my website. They look over done and have a look to them that I can't explain. But when I look at the same photos on my old computer with Windows 7 they look fine. Why would that be?

What color space are you processing in? (Adobe RGB or sRGB, typically.)
    ziggy53
    edited August 16, 2013
    basflt wrote: »
    i am pretty sure its a driver issue , not Windows or Adobe
    you installed a driver ? or Windows did ?

you should go to manufacturer site and download the driver from them

AMD
    nVidia

select the correct ! card and Windows-version ( 32 / 64 bit ) and download + install

All drivers were installed from the site - nVidia after the computer arrived to me. Last night there was an update to the graphic card and I installed that. Still the same issue. Maybe a faulty graphic card?

Thank you for your help :D
    edited August 16, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    What color space are you processing in? (Adobe RGB or sRGB, typically.)

I'm set to sRGB - 16 bit.

Here's a photo showing what I see and maybe you can tell me if you see it too - Photo has not been edited. There is smoothness to the hair that looks like the photo has been run through a denoise software. There are color tints to it and there are areas where it looks like it's been over processed in the dark area. On the Windows 8 computer I see all this when looking at photos. On W7 I don't see anything other then a nice photo with good color that needs some basic editing.

i-BbQS65n-XL.jpg
    edited August 16, 2013
    It could just be the monitor setup. Please print a standard sample file from both machines to see those results first, before making bold adjustments.

What happens when you copy a JPG file from one machine to the other? Does the same file just look poorer on the newer machine?

Edit: How does this file look on each dispaly?
    http://www.colour-science.com/quality%20test%20tools/test%20files/Reference%20Print%20printer%202362x3543pixel.jpg
    ziggy53
    edited August 16, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It could just be the monitor setup. Please print a standard sample file from both machines to see those results first, before making bold adjustments.

What happens when you copy a JPG file from one machine to the other? Does the same file just look poorer on the newer machine?

Edit: How does this file look on each dispaly?
    http://www.colour-science.com/quality%20test%20tools/test%20files/Reference%20Print%20printer%202362x3543pixel.jpg

Photo looks fine using the same monitor. Photo just looks poorer on new machine. Do you see it? I'll check out your links now.

Ziggy I'm going to have to set up the other computer to see how the photo in the link looks. That will take me some time to do. But I will do it :)
    edited August 16, 2013
    what you can try

go to
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items \ Colour Management
    in Devices tab , you can check if the correct display is used
    in advanced tab , you can calibrate the display
    edited August 16, 2013
    what you can try

go to
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items \ Colour Management
    in Devices tab , you can check if the correct display is used
    in advanced tab , you can calibrate the display

I just checked this and both top bars are set to default sRGB. Tried to get back into it and forgot how I found it the first time. Things in W8 are so easy to find, but so hard to too :cry
    edited August 16, 2013
    Ziggy I looked at the link you gave me on both computers. They look the same, but on my W7 computer I don't have photoshop set up so I had to use the windows picture viewer. Maybe it's just me, my photo taking and editing. But I do know I'm seeing something out of whack. Even my husband sees it in my photos on my site and also other sites.
    edited August 16, 2013
    right-click start button > control panel
    in control panel , set "View by : ...icons , so you see the whole list
    edited August 16, 2013
    right-click start button > control panel
    in control panel , set "View by : ...icons , so you see the whole list

I have no start button on W8. But I played around till I found it and did a calibration on the monitor. It helped somewhat. Now I just need to get my monitor calibrated with my i1 and then I'll be okay .. hopefully. I'm waiting for Trend to get to me on why it's blocking my download for the i1. My i1 is really outdated and I should by a new calibrator.
    edited August 16, 2013
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I have no start button on W8.
    yes you do
    hover the mouse to bottom left corner ( where it used to be in the past )
    the button pops up
    if you right-click it , it gives you lot of functions / options
    edited August 16, 2013
    yes you do
    hover the mouse to bottom left corner ( where it used to be in the past )
    the button pops up
    if you right-click it , it gives you lot of functions / options

You are correct. I just didn't see that as the normal start button. From there tho I do a whole lot of hunting to find what I want rolleyes1.gif

Seems I need to calibrate. I messed around with my color settings on my monitor and the photo I posted of Annie is starting to look better.
    edited August 16, 2013
    good to hear / read
    let us know if you solved it
    edited August 16, 2013
    good to hear / read
    let us know if you solved it

I figure the first place I need to start is to be able to calibrate my monitor. I'm looking at a new one to buy. Right now I have the i1display2. If I could get the softward on my computer I'd still use it. I will keep trying, but want one sitting ready to buy. I've looked at this one and this one which they say is the one I should get to replace my i1display2. Any suggestions would be appreciated :D
    edited August 17, 2013
    why cant you install the software ?
    you use the original that came with the device ?
    i checked their site , and latest version ( win7 ) should work for you
    http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=788&Action=support&SoftwareID=724
    http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=788&Action=Support
    edited August 17, 2013
    why cant you install the software ?
    you use the original that came with the device ?
    i checked their site , and latest version ( win7 ) should work for you
    http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=788&Action=support&SoftwareID=724
    http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=788&Action=Support

No I can't get the software to install. My Trend is stopping it. I'm working with Trend right now to figure out the reason. Thinking of taking Trend off and reinstalling.
    edited August 17, 2013
    you disable it temporarily
    then , after installing is done re-enable Trend again

it is just blocking the .exe
    edited August 17, 2013
    you disable it temporarily
    then , after installing is done re-enable Trend again

it is just blocking the .exe

Ok I'll give that a try. Thank-you basfit :D
    edited August 17, 2013
    basfit it worked thumb.gif Thank you so much. My monitor is calibrated and I'm ready to edit. Still don't know about Windows 8, but I guess I have no choice.

Thanks Again!!! thumb.gifthumb:D