Anyone on Ubuntu?

babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited April 9, 2015 in Digital Darkroom
Is anyone using linux for PP?
I just converted one of my laptops to Ubuntu 13.04 and it is fantastic... Super easy to use.

It was Win8, I hated it. So I tried Win7, but it wouldn't take for some reason. My final choice was Ubuntu, only to see what its like, and I am in love! Only problem.. I want LR on it, but no one seems to have a solution. :cry
-Mike Jin
D800
16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
It never gets easier, you just get better.

Comments

• merlinusmerlinus Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    Hi, and welcome to Ubuntu. I have been using it for about 7 years now, on all four of my computers.

You can try wine, which is a windows emulator, or set up a VM using VirtualBox.

I use RawTherapee, LightZone and Gimp for pp. DarkTable is an LR-type app. But I never miss those commercial apps!!
    -merlin
    Ubuntu Linux - LightZone - GIMP
    Visit my gallery
  • babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    I hear that the problem with wine is that it'll slow the processes down dramatically..
    I saw LR5 was a bit faster than LR4, but still I can't imagine it being any slower! :/
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    edited August 9, 2013
    Never used wine nor LR, so cannot say. My recommendation is to try the apps I mentioned -- maybe you'll never use commercial software again, like me!
    -merlin
    Visit my gallery
  • Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    I'm currently using Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu (only without that stupid Unity Desktop Environment - I couldn't stand the pop-out menu bar thing). If you're looking for a Lr equivalent, you might check out digiKam. It's been a while since I've used Lr, and I'm not currently photographing so my digiKam use has been nil, but it's designed for professional photo management and processing. Krita (Ps equivalent) is another program you can look into if you need further processing than what digiKam offers.

And they're both open source.
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • urbanmoonurbanmoon Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    Mike: I've been using Linux exclusively since 1996 and have never missed having Windows or MacOS. Things are even much better nowadays for those who want to make the switch. There is a much greater choice of fabulous open source software, more than ever before.

I agree with the others, digiKam is super, never having used Lightroom though, I can't compare, but it sure appears to be quite the same. You can modify the UI to be more like Lightroom, too.

I also use Darktable, RawTherapee, and Gimp.

One weird thing for me this morning, digiKam and Smugmug aren't playing nice. I've done no upgrades, made no changes, so maybe it's something on the Smugmug side. Or maybe it's just limited to me somehow. Uploading to Flickr went fine from digikam.
    -- Anita

http://www.urbanmoon.ca

Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein
    edited August 10, 2013
    Hi Anita. Glad to see a fellow Linux-er at the forum! Have you tried the recently-released (4.0) version of LightZone? It has quite amazing capabilities, similar to but different from RawTherapee.

All the best!
    -merlin
    Visit my gallery
  • urbanmoonurbanmoon Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    Hello merlin! No, I wasn't even aware of it and was going to give it a try. I'll check it out tonight, thanks!

I did find out that the reason I can't export from digiKam any longer to Smugmug is because I unveiled last night. digiKam and the new Smugmug have a problem: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.bugs/1454345

You can, however, drag and drop into the Smugmug bulk upload UI.
    -- Anita

http://www.urbanmoon.ca

Imagination is more important than knowledge. -- Albert Einstein
    edited August 12, 2013
    Quick question, are all of you guys more "technically inclined"?
    I understand that previous versions of Ubuntu/linux was entirely cmd/"terminal" based?
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited August 12, 2013
    babowc wrote: »
    Quick question, are all of you guys more "technically inclined"?
    I understand that previous versions of Ubuntu/linux was entirely cmd/"terminal" based?

Technically, you can still install a cmd-line/terminal "only" version of Linux, but most distributions of Linux have long had a GUI. GNOME, for instance, has been around since 1999. The X Window System itself, on which most Linux desktop environments rely, dates back to 1984, and X11 dates to 1987.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 12, 2013
    I have the Gnome interface (13.04), so it's relatively user-friendly, but there are the small limitations that bother me as stated above.
    I'll look for those apps/programs to compare to LR5!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Uploaded at ubuntu
    Hi there,
    I wanted to ask if there is a bulk uploader on linux that you use for uploading and syncing your images.

Regards
    Alex
    edited August 13, 2013
    alaios wrote: »
    Hi there,
    I wanted to ask if there is a bulk uploader on linux that you use for uploading and syncing your images.

Regards
    Alex

ziggy edit: User "Matt518" gives a better answer below.

It varies, but generally you are best to use the bulk uploader(s) created by your image host provider. Those vary by provider and there is no single, general purpose, bulk uploader software that I am aware of, much less a multi-platform, multi-service, bulk uploader.
    ziggy53
    edited August 13, 2013
    alaios wrote: »
    Hi there,

Regards
    Alex

Most of the photo management software applications have a built in utility to upload and sync images [with various sites]. Outside of photo management applications, there are several FTP utilities available on Linux, FileZilla being one.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
    edited August 13, 2013
    Matt518 wrote: »
    Most of the photo management software applications have a built in utility to upload and sync images [with various sites]. Outside of photo management applications, there are several FTP utilities available on Linux, FileZilla being one.

^ I like your answer better than mine. Thanks :D

To expand on that, it appears that digiKam, Shotwell and F-Spot are all Linux image management applications capable of uploading images to "some" popular image hosting services.

http://www.digikam.org/
    http://www.yorba.org/projects/shotwell/
    http://f-spot.org/Features
    ziggy53
    edited August 13, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »

Not trying to undermine you in any way, just giving a different perspective I suppose.
    To expand on that, it appears that digiKam, Shotwell and F-Spot are all Linux image management applications capable of uploading images to "some" popular image hosting services.

To elaborate a little, I'm not sure about the others, but digiKam is also available as open source on Windows and Mac also. The support for uploading to image hosting services shouldn't change based on what platform is being used.

edited August 13, 2013
    Matt518 wrote: »

Not trying to undermine you in any way, just giving a different perspective I suppose.

I appreciate your concern, but I appreciate your help more. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • waywardfoolwaywardfool Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I started with Unix systems back in the early 80's. Been messing with Linux on PC's for longer than I remember, and for years have dual-booted Linux with different windows releases. I have a data partition shared between Windows and Linux where I keep all my photos and documents. In Firefox, I'm using the bookmark sync feature, and of course IMAP for email, so whatever system is booted, I have access to all my "stuff". Currently running Mint 15.

In all that time, I have never really considered doing my image processing and storage management on the Linux side of things. THANKS to everyone that has posted here...I now have RawTherapee, LightZone, digiKam, and a few others downloaded, and am rethinking my workflow in a Linux-centric kind of way.
    edited August 13, 2013
    I appreciate your concern, but I appreciate your help more. clap.gif

:Dthumb.gif

edited August 13, 2013
    I started with Unix systems back in the early 80's. Been messing with Linux on PC's for longer than I remember, and for years have dual-booted Linux with different windows releases. I have a data partition shared between Windows and Linux where I keep all my photos and documents. In Firefox, I'm using the bookmark sync feature, and of course IMAP for email, so whatever system is booted, I have access to all my "stuff". Currently running Mint 15.

In all that time, I have never really considered doing my image processing and storage management on the Linux side of things. THANKS to everyone that has posted here...I now have RawTherapee, LightZone, digiKam, and a few others downloaded, and am rethinking my workflow in a Linux-centric kind of way.

That's excellent. After you've messed around with them some, come back to this thread and post your opinions of them. I'm all for using open source solutions, and I think having different experiences and opinions can be a substantial benefit to others, especially those who are unaware of the options of using open source solutions.

• MartynMartyn Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2013

I would be interested in a follow up once you have had time with the new software. I too dual boot but have always done anything remotely serious in Windows purely due to convenience.
    edited August 19, 2014
    Bumping an old thread for any updates.

edited August 21, 2014
    I dropped off Ubuntu.. back to Win7 it is.
    -Mike Jin
    D800
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2014
    Glad I saw this thread. As I mentioned on another thread regarding backup strategy, the only reason I keep a Win7 box around anymore is to run LR. I have never messed around with any Linux-based photo software, and kind of feel like I'm too entrenched in LR to switch. But I may have to give some of these options a try, because I would love to rid my house of the Windows scourge entirely.

If I were to switch over, does anyone know of a way to migrate a LR catalog over to one of these Linux formats?
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • kofakofa Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2014
    I'm on Mint (based on Ubuntu). Darktable (http://www.darktable.org/) has some support for importing LR sidecar files. Here's the corresponding page from the manual: http://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch02s02s07.html.php
    Be sure to check out Robert Hutton's great tutorial videos on youtube: http://youtu.be/1IiwfHY0ls0?list=PLmvlUro_Up1NBX7VK8UUuyWo1B468zEA0
    User-contributed styles: http://dtstyle.net/
    The user group on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/groups/darktable/
    The Google+ communities: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/112463424693691728362 and https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/112934869052021267636
    And many more: http://www.darktable.org/resources/
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2014
    I use Digikam, and as far as I know, it doesn't have any dedicated plugin to import Lightroom catalogs. It will import your files in their existing file structure, and if you've written metadata to the files themselves, it will reconstruct captions and tags (although I think it doesn't keep the tag hierarchy and you may need to manually reconstruct that, but I'm not sure). It should be able to read lightroom xmp files if you set that as an option, but I've never tried. I also use Corel Aftershot pro for Ubuntu (migrated from Bibble when they acquired it), and it will also read the lightroom xmp files, but I've never used Aftershot pro for a my database, only for raw conversion. I tried darktable a long time ago, and found it less intuitive than Digikam, but I haven't looked at it lately. For anything that needs layers or mask, I use Gimp, although Corel is touting the improved editing features of AftershotPro, and for memory intensive stacking (startrails) I use Imagemagick at the command line. Lots of options in Ubuntu. Until my last 14.04 update, the built in color management utility was working well with my older Spyder, but I had some glitch after my recent upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04, it might be a trivial matter to fix, but I haven't devoted the time to it. And, Luminance HDR is back working in Ubuntu.

Here's a blog post by a Lightroom user testing the waters with Digikam and migrating his LR files. What I noticed especially is that he had to make sure that lightroom had written all the metadata to the files, so that it'd be read by Digikam, but after that he seems to be happy with how they imported into Digikam.

http://www.ericsbinaryworld.com/2012/02/16/using-digikam-from-the-point-of-view-of-lightroom-user/
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
    edited October 1, 2014
    JC, you may want to check out the latest darktable - the development version has masks (drawn + parametric + combination, like 'this area, but only midtone reds, except that spot over there'). Plus, it supports applying an adjustment several times, with different masks and different blend modes. See here: http://youtu.be/xWF6Wk-JPb0
  • catcher33catcher33 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2014
    I got it on an old Dell laptop but it is Way to slow for photo editing -- so I am putting together a new system geared for photo and video and it to will have Unbuntu
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2014
    kofa wrote: »
    JC, you may want to check out the latest darktable - the development version has masks (drawn + parametric + combination, like 'this area, but only midtone reds, except that spot over there'). Plus, it supports applying an adjustment several times, with different masks and different blend modes. See here: http://youtu.be/xWF6Wk-JPb0

I'll have to try Darktable again when I have time.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
    edited October 4, 2014
    catcher33 wrote: »
    I got it on an old Dell laptop but it is Way to slow for photo editing -- so I am putting together a new system geared for photo and video and it to will have Unbuntu

Be sure to add a card that supports OpenCL - darktable already supports it, RawTherapee is considering support. Speedups are huge. See https://www.flickr.com/groups/darktable/discuss/72157642033311435/
  • pixmatorpixmator Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 5, 2015
    darktable is based on dcraw written in c. I like test my source with dcraw results are ever interesting. To be honest I haven't fixed yet printing with open source. It's a lot of work and lecture.

sometimes I like to see real light.