Options

Captions on slideshows

rustybladesrustyblades Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
edited August 18, 2013 in Bug Reporting
In the new Smugmug the captions do not display in the slideshows. Is there a way to toggle the captions on or off? I couldn't find this in any menu.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    The slideshow I added to my homepage has a check in the settings (wrench) to show caption
    under the playback tab.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    How about centering text in the slideshow?????? Or any other mods? Like how about JFRIENDS Mods that allow tons of mods to how the slideshow works...his mods are +10 and SmugMugs are -10. For crying out loud SmugMug, why are you giving us so limited slideshows when JFriend has given us so much? Geeez, get on board and figure this out. This is really a pisser that you cannot see how many folks use JFriends routines and you totally abandon them by getting rid of javascript. If you hate supporting Javascript, then FIGURE OUT how to incorporate a method to deal with his javascript routines. You should have done this BEFORE going live with the new SmugMug. I'll stop her before I get really angry.
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    In the new Smugmug the captions do not display in the slideshows. Is there a way to toggle the captions on or off? I couldn't find this in any menu.

When I am viewing a gallery in Smugmug Gallery style and click the "slideshow" button, no captions appear, and like you, I have not found any setting to turn them on. This is a big problem for me.

As Allen said, if you manually add a slideshow to a page, you can turn on captions. It doesn't handle multi-line captions very well, however.
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2013
    pbandj wrote: »
    When I am viewing a gallery in Smugmug Gallery style and click the "slideshow" button, no captions appear, and like you, I have not found any setting to turn them on. This is a big problem for me.

As Allen said, if you manually add a slideshow to a page, you can turn on captions. It doesn't handle multi-line captions very well, however.

The problem I have is the same as yours with the smugmug gallery style. I had found the on off for added slideshows but couldn't find a similar setting for the smugmug gallery style slideshow.
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    how about centering text in the slideshow?????? Or any other mods? Like how about jfriends mods that allow tons of mods to how the slideshow works...his mods are +10 and smugmugs are -10. For crying out loud smugmug, why are you giving us so limited slideshows when jfriend has given us so much? Geeez, get on board and figure this out. This is really a pisser that you cannot see how many folks use jfriends routines and you totally abandon them by getting rid of javascript. If you hate supporting javascript, then figure out how to incorporate a method to deal with his javascript routines. You should have done this before going live with the new smugmug. I'll stop her before i get really angry.

+1
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2013
    I now think I know why the delay in getting the captions on the Smugmug default slideshow to work. I think the addition of Title has created a need to control the display to Title, or caption or both. By the way I really like the title feature although it will be a lot of work to update old galleries.

I just finished this gallery and the titles really add to the appearance.

http://paultavares.smugmug.com/Hamilton/Hamilton-City/Hamilton-Sights

Paul
  • Options
    WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2013
    I now think I know why the delay in getting the captions on the Smugmug default slideshow to work. I think the addition of Title has created a need to control the display to Title, or caption or both. By the way I really like the title feature although it will be a lot of work to update old galleries.

I just finished this gallery and the titles really add to the appearance.

http://paultavares.smugmug.com/Hamilton/Hamilton-City/Hamilton-Sights

Paul

I only just heard this reference to "caption" and "title". I see what you mean by looking at your site (and I'm sorry to not be addressing the OP's questions, and also, your site looks great) But I'm just curious (I haven't begun migration yet)... when you migrate photos from the Old to the New Smug, what happens to what we used to call "Captions"? Do they become the larger words or the smaller words underneath that? In other words, I don't know which line is called the "Caption" and which is called the "Title" now, and what will happen to Captioned photos already in the Legacy site?

As a sidenote, I really dislike how far removed the text is from the photo, and how the number is the first thing directly under the photo. I don't see why SmugMug decided to make that number so prominent, when the spot it used to occupy was fine & made much better visual sense. Now the text will end up under the fold on some monitors, or photos will have to be squished to smaller display sizes because the text is so far down.

Two more question about designs--- can the background color to a gallery be basically any hex code? And can the spacing between thumbs be changed at all? Thanks so much for any info.
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2013
    I only just heard this reference to "caption" and "title". I see what you mean by looking at your site (and I'm sorry to not be addressing the OP's questions, and also, your site looks great) But I'm just curious (I haven't begun migration yet)... when you migrate photos from the Old to the New Smug, what happens to what we used to call "Captions"? Do they become the larger words or the smaller words underneath that? In other words, I don't know which line is called the "Caption" and which is called the "Title" now, and what will happen to Captioned photos already in the Legacy site?

As a sidenote, I really dislike how far removed the text is from the photo, and how the number is the first thing directly under the photo. I don't see why SmugMug decided to make that number so prominent, when the spot it used to occupy was fine & made much better visual sense. Now the text will end up under the fold on some monitors, or photos will have to be squished to smaller display sizes because the text is so far down.

Two more question about designs--- can the background color to a gallery be basically any hex code? And can the spacing between thumbs be changed at all? Thanks so much for any info.

The caption is the smaller text and any captions on the legacy Smugmug come across with no problems. The Titles on the migrated site are blank and you will need to add them. Not too bad in my case because I can cut the applicable part of the caption and paste it in the Title. I notice that sometimes I have to paste the title twice. The first save sometimes doesn't save the new title.

I agree with you about the space between the title/caption and the photo. I'd rather have it closer. The background colour is easy to change and can be done on a site basis or per page. It's under the theme tab, option Color, when you customize the page. You pick a colour from a palette of colours. I changed the background colour on the about page this way. No need for codes.

Hope this helps
    Paul
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Not too bad in my case because I can cut the applicable part of the caption and paste it in the Title. I notice that sometimes I have to paste the title twice. The first save sometimes doesn't save the new title.

Hope this helps
    Paul

I've noticed that the Title not appearing is a time lag. If you insert a title and save, sometimes the title is there on exit snd sometimes not. If it isn't there just wait a few minutes, it will appear although you may have to get out of the gallery and re-enter,

Paul
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    The slideshow I added to my homepage has a check in the settings (wrench) to show caption
    under the playback tab.

Allen,

I've also added a slideshow to the home page and it works fine. All the more reason the Smugmug default should work.

Paul