Public/Private Sides to My Site?

afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
edited August 12, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I know this was not possible in the old SM, but I'm really hoping I can do it with the new format...

I'd like to have two sides to my site. Portfolio and Personal. My homepage would have a link to both. The Portfolio would be fully open to the world. The Personal side would be password protected. When someone clicks on Personal, I want it to bring them to a page that asks for the password before showing the categories (folders) and galleries.

I have successfully given all of my Personal galleries the same password, but I have not yet unveiled, so I don't really know how it will appear to someone not logged in. Will they see all the galleries and be stopped for a password only once they select one? Is there any way to do what I want and stop them before they see the galleries?

Thanks so much.

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    afarber wrote: »
    I know this was not possible in the old SM, but I'm really hoping I can do it with the new format...

I'd like to have two sides to my site. Portfolio and Personal. My homepage would have a link to both. The Portfolio would be fully open to the world. The Personal side would be password protected. When someone clicks on Personal, I want it to bring them to a page that asks for the password before showing the categories (folders) and galleries.

I have successfully given all of my Personal galleries the same password, but I have not yet unveiled, so I don't really know how it will appear to someone not logged in. Will they see all the galleries and be stopped for a password only once they select one? Is there any way to do what I want and stop them before they see the galleries?

Thanks so much.
    Can't you separate your galleries into two top level folders "Public" and "Personal", display a gallery listing for the "Public" folder and then put a password on the "Personal" folder so when someone tries to access it, they are prompted for a password before seeing the gallery listing for it?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2013
    jfriend wrote: »
    Can't you separate your galleries into two top level folders "Public" and "Personal", display a gallery listing for the "Public" folder and then put a password on the "Personal" folder so when someone tries to access it, they are prompted for a password before seeing the gallery listing for it?

That's exactly how I have it set. Until I Unveil, however, I don't know where the password 'stop' will be. Hopefully it will be at the Personal folder level not the sub-folder or gallery level, but there is no way to preview that. I don't want to unveil until I know how this will function.

Thanks!
    edited August 9, 2013
    That's exactly how I have it set. Until I Unveil, however, I don't know where the password 'stop' will be. Hopefully it will be at the Personal folder level not the sub-folder or gallery level, but there is no way to preview that. I don't want to unveil until I know how this will function.

Thanks!
    Did you put the password on the Personal folder? If so, the password will stop the viewer there before they see the galleries in that folder. Since we can't see your site until you unveil, we can't tell you how your setup will work. I can tell you that if you have a folder passworded, a viewer won't get to the gallery until they've provided the folder password.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited August 9, 2013

Thanks!

If you put the password at the "Private" folder level, it'll ask for password at that level. If you put the password on the gallery level, it will ask at each gallery. If you did it at the gallery level and they enter the password on one gallery, most likely they'll have to re-enter the password on the next gallery. That's why the previous poster suggested doing it at the folder level.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2013
    I entered at the Personal folder level and it works exactly as I wanted.

Thanks all! A big plus for the New SM (other gripes notwithstanding ;0)
    edited August 12, 2013
    I entered at the Personal folder level and it works exactly as I wanted.

Thanks all! A big plus for the New SM (other gripes notwithstanding ;0)
    Just make sure it works when you are logged out so your viewers can see the galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular