Options

Two "Bugs" on Search page

phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
edited August 12, 2013 in Bug Reporting
I just played a bit with the search page and while the search shows a correct count of results at the beginning, it will change to "0" when scrolling down the results and back to top of the list. See screenshot.

Since i'm not able to select a gallery style it would be nice if the results would respect the manually defined crops for the photos, not just the square center of a photo. See the photo on the lower right corner of the screenshot, horrible. :cry

Please respect the crops or allow us to select a gallery style that respects the original aspect ratio.

Markus

Comments

• Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    More SEARCH BUGS
    There are other bugs in the SEARCH routine, too!!!! Just did a search in the SEARCH function for a keyword I have "brunswick". It comes back and tells me there are 1000 (the arbitrary limit now set up by SmugMug) images found and lays up images 7 wide on my screen. I then count 20 images per column. That means it returned ONLY 140 of the 1000 images (I have more) and did not have a NEXT PAGE type of option. SO, I go back to SEARCH and type in "brunswick yacht" or "brunswick shrimp" (did both - forgot which gave which result) and one said I had 500 something images and one said 704 images. Gave back only 140 viewable images. And usually after scrolling back to the top, the number of images found at the top of the page says "0" instead of the 500 or 704 or 1000 (like the original poster said). And when I tried again just looking for 'brunswick" which gave me 1000 and then adding to the string either it was "yacht or shrimp" it STILL told me 1000 instead of 500 or 704. And during one of those searches that said either 1000, 500, or 704, it only gave me 70 images instead of 140. SO THERE ARE PROBLEMS!

I understand the 1000 found is a FEATURE of the New SmugMug that there are numerous requests to give us back our full finds. But not even showing what WAS found is terrible and I define that as a BUG especially when it shows you different numbers of what it will show (70 vs 140). I am using the Preview (not live) site.eek7.gif If we are going to be stuck with the 1000 Max limit, them the page should return a message stating the website had more found images than the 1000 displayed (or not being displayed as the case is now).
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    My biggest concern is Smugmug is selecting what photos to show by the limit not you.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    I just played a bit with the search page and while the search shows a correct count of results at the beginning, it will change to "0" when scrolling down the results and back to top of the list. See screenshot.

Since i'm not able to select a gallery style it would be nice if the results would respect the manually defined crops for the photos, not just the square center of a photo. See the photo on the lower right corner of the screenshot, horrible. :cry

Please respect the crops or allow us to select a gallery style that respects the original aspect ratio.

Markus

I am not seeing this on my end. Can you confirm it is still happening?
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    There are other bugs in the SEARCH routine, too!!!! Just did a search in the SEARCH function for a keyword I have "brunswick". It comes back and tells me there are 1000 (the arbitrary limit now set up by SmugMug) images found and lays up images 7 wide on my screen. I then count 20 images per column. That means it returned ONLY 140 of the 1000 images (I have more) and did not have a NEXT PAGE type of option. SO, I go back to SEARCH and type in "brunswick yacht" or "brunswick shrimp" (did both - forgot which gave which result) and one said I had 500 something images and one said 704 images. Gave back only 140 viewable images. And usually after scrolling back to the top, the number of images found at the top of the page says "0" instead of the 500 or 704 or 1000 (like the original poster said). And when I tried again just looking for 'brunswick" which gave me 1000 and then adding to the string either it was "yacht or shrimp" it STILL told me 1000 instead of 500 or 704. And during one of those searches that said either 1000, 500, or 704, it only gave me 70 images instead of 140. SO THERE ARE PROBLEMS!

I understand the 1000 found is a FEATURE of the New SmugMug that there are numerous requests to give us back our full finds. But not even showing what WAS found is terrible and I define that as a BUG especially when it shows you different numbers of what it will show (70 vs 140). I am using the Preview (not live) site.eek7.gif If we are going to be stuck with the 1000 Max limit, them the page should return a message stating the website had more found images than the 1000 displayed (or not being displayed as the case is now).

I get 1,000 photos when I search your site for Brunswick

http://bonocorephotography.smugmug.com/SmugMug-Help/SmugMug-Help-Screenshots/i-Tkz8f8g/A
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    That seems to be the limit that's set, 1000. What about the ones not showing, how does Smug pick
    which ones to show? I have many that are over 1000. Without showing all I lose a lot of historical data.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2013

Yes, just tested again, see screenshot. Tested with Opera12 and FF23. Maybe another browser issue? Will give it a try on OperaNext tomorrow (no chrome here).
  • Options
    southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2013
    @mbonocare - Yes, it is now working for me!!! Something changed for sure. I mean I tested it umpteen times and only got a maximum of 140 images out of the 500, 704, or 1000. While I did not actually try to count 1000 images, it kept adding images as I scrolled down. So, I would say at least it is showing what was found up to the 1000 image limit. Now, to break the 1000 limit...OR let the client know that more images were found but only 1000 can be displayed. Also, the 1000 is still displaying at the top after repeatedly scrolling down and back up - at least for me using Macintosh OSX 10.6.8 and latest Mac version of Chrome - if that helps anyone.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013

I just tried on windows with Opera12, OperaNext, latest GoogleChrome and IE8, same result as on Linux with Opera12 and FF23. After i got a count of search results, scroll down, wait a few seconds and scroll back to top of the list the counter is reset to 0/zero.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited August 9, 2013
    I am seeing the count reset to zero too.

In addition, the search is returning results in square thumbs which I have never used on my site. I know, I know, I seem to be in the minority - but I think that square thumbs are a terrible way to look at photos and I never want thumbs to show that way on my site. All of my galleries are set to Original, not square. And the default display on my site is collage landscape. Why is search showing square thumbs without any spacing between the thumbs?

For an example, search on my site for memorial bridge.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2013
    In addition, the search is returning results in square thumbs which I have never used on my site.

Well... i could live with square thumbs since i'm using square thumbs on the SM galleries too. The search page just does not respect the manually defined crops i made to the photos and so i also don't like that style.

Yes, there is a fullview popup, that's just pretty useless if half of it get covered by a pinned sidebar.

There should be a option in side wide settings to select a gallery style for the search page, just like i suggested for the keyword page here.

And really... it would be a much appreciated improvement if the search could be made case insensitive.
  • Options
    kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Removing case sensitivity from searches would be far more sensible. Most people would search for a person's name with a capital. And the keywords have all been saved as all lowercase. Then the person is never found, even though there are plenty of images there with the name on their keyword lists.

And new keywords are being allowed to be saved with uppercase. So now I have all keywords to people in two sections!

Also, is there a way we can do a search, and then use the organiser to bulk-modify the keywords or captions for the photos that are found as a result of the search?
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • Options
    GloriousnseGloriousnse Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    I don't *think* case sensitivity is an issue?

I've just done some quick tests using the search function on my site:

Searching for:
    MSKU - 79 results
    msku - 79 results
    Msku - 79 results

Searching for:
    exetersd - 734 results
    ExeterSD - 734 results
    EXETERSD - 734 results

So it seems from that quick test that case is not an issue when searching?
  • Options
    kimbomackimbomac Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Well, this must have been fixed since last night, or else I dreamed it.

I searched for 'Jason' (my son) on my site, and got one set of images, and then searched for 'jason' and got a completely different set of images, with a different image count. Last night it was definitely treating both searches differently.

Thanks to whomever fixed that!
    Kimbomac

(FeaturePhotography.net)
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    OK, I can't find any sort of way to go beyond the initial set pulled up. I can only see the first 120 images, sorted via the dropdown. There's no way to go to the "next page" of images. Also, when I use the dropdown to select "Newest/Oldest" I expected the search to be by Date Taken, NOT when they were uploaded to the site.