I'm lost

rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
edited August 12, 2013 in SmugMug Customization
I have been trying to put a "Galleries" link on my new home page for two hours. I give up.
Rich

Comments

• proelsproels Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2013
    Galleries is broken for me also. All my folders can be displayed but "no galleries found" appears when I try to add Galleries. The old smugmug continues to display them correctly. I need my galleries displayed by date.
  • kathleenkathleen Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    I got so frustrated, I just put all of my images that are on my old Smugmug into an "archive" folder that I created that is not published. I figured I have to reload all of my images again. (The old images look terrible in the "sandbox" as I am working on them.)
  • aschendelaschendel Registered Users Posts: 283 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Don't give up! I'm sure it's something that can be worked out... but people on here will need a little more information. I haven't done too much to my site, but it converted and seems to work the way I want, if you look at it and can describe how yours doesn't work right maybe we can help you through it.

Andy
  • rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Your site looks good. How did you go about adding text in the About Me page? I am having trouble figuring that out also!
    Rich
    edited July 31, 2013
    rkw624 wrote: »
    Your site looks good. How did you go about adding text in the About Me page? I am having trouble figuring that out also!

You got a new "Page" created, I assume? After that it's pretty much just dragging the items from the Add Content Blocks area of the toolbar (if that's what it's called) onto the page, adjusting the settings / dimensions of the items and dragging to rearrange.

I first added a Single Photo. Then in the image Settings (wrench icon) I went with small, etc. Then in the Dimensions options (carpenters square icon) I changed the container size to match the size of the image (220 in my case). Then I dragged an HTML block onto the page to the right of the image (that took a little fiddling around to get it to end up in the correct location). I don't recall if I went into the Dimensions for the HTML and changed the Container Width or if it set itself correctly. Then I pasted the text / html from my old Gallery Description (Organize | Organize Site | select old gallery | wrench icon | Captions & Keywords) into the new HTML block...

Easy as can be (Laughing.gif, it was a headache the first time through and pretty annoying even after knowing what I needed to do).

a.s.
  • Cindy Shaver PhotographyCindy Shaver Photography Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    So how do you create a new page for the galleries?
  • jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    So how do you create a new page for the galleries?

You dont need a new page for galleries.

What design are you starting with. That will help.

Try this

New Page
    i-r83kktc-S.png

Name the page
    i-8SwZnxK-S.png

Customize Site
    i-xDrDHK3-S.png

Just this page
    i-ML2mNMj-S.png

Add Content Blocks
    i-ML2mNMj-S.png

Drag and Drop
    i-48tdD44-S.png

Click the Wrench
    i-rWnqWGv-S.png

Choose your galleries
    i-bck9s4H-S.png

Click Done and Publish
  • 1000wordsphotography1000wordsphotography Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Here is what you have to do, I think. If you get out of the design you are working with you should see "Organize" from along the top menu towards the right. If you go in the organizer you can arrange yoru galleries into the same folder and then you simply have to point at that folder.
  • proelsproels Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2013
    Very helpful, thanks.

My gallery block initially showed nothing, but I found the options I needed after tinkering within the gallery settings.
    Although it's odd that it defaulted to show nothing.
  • Cindy Shaver PhotographyCindy Shaver Photography Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Couple Questions
    Okay, I've got to the part where you tell me to add content block. Drag and Drop...

I'm at "just this page" but there isn't a "galleries" content block, so what do I add at this point?
    edited August 6, 2013
    Okay, I've got to the part where you tell me to add content block. Drag and Drop...

I'm at "just this page" but there isn't a "galleries" content block, so what do I add at this point?

The Galleries content block is nested under the Navigation section, if you click the + sign there you should see the thing you drag-n-drop. You might also experiment with the other types of containers too, like Folders, or Pages, etc. Once you get it dropped into the page, if you mouse over the container out in your page you will see a little toolbar pop up, the Triangle ruler is for the Dimensions settings and the little wrench icon is for other configuration options... if you can get into those and poke around I think you'll start to see some good progress.

i-WPRvhCj-M.jpg

Andy
    edited August 6, 2013
    When I'm at the Customize Page section, I don't see any of my client images under galleries or folders. But if I go to Organize Page I see them on the left. As shown here, but how do I get them on the Client Proofs page?

[IMG][/img]voha.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com
    edited August 6, 2013
    Ok, that's a good start.

If you go back to your screen that you want them to be on and click Customize | Customize Site and post a screenshot of that, that would be cool Anyways, in there you should be able to click on the little wrench icon for the container and in that popup dialog set the source (i.e. "Select From") for your container. In my case I only have one Page (where my Browse Photos link links to) and I put a Folders container on that, with these settings:

i-NzfL3vQ-M.jpg

Thanks!

Andy
    edited August 6, 2013
    Here's the shot you asked for. Thanks SO VERY MUCH for helping!

i1iq.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com
    edited August 6, 2013
    Okay, I am getting so much closer. As you see in first screen shot, I have top folders for Portfolio, Weddings, Engagement, Seniors and Portraits. I've set my portfolio page up and it is ready to go (for now).

The other folders contain client galleries, so each is full of sub folders. When I select source as Top Level only the Portfolio file shows up. When I select anything else, it won't do the top level folder of engagement, for example. Instead, it opens the sub folders below.

Ideas?
    edited August 6, 2013
    Bad news, we're about getting to the edge of my SM experience, Laughing.gif... I personally have a simple (immature) setup and fairly straightforward needs (thus far). I will try my best but actual pro's who have worked through this before might need to jump in and clean up my mess :)

What would you like to have displayed on this landing page - ideally? A clickable image for each of the top-level folders, presumably? I think your Portfolio is technically a Gallery, right? Did you want that to be listed on this page as well? I see in the screenshot that you didn't (at that time) have much on the page (you can see the list in the toolbar "On Just This Page" you just have the Breadcrumbs control). If you had the Portfolio showing you may have been using the Galleries container (which you may end up wanting). Anyhow, if you add a Folders container and set the Select From to Top Level Folders, can you confirm whether or not your folders show? They really should, I think, even if they (or their galleries) are private or unlisted or password protected... since you are logged in they should show.

Regrettably we can't work through this doing a screenshare or anything, although maybe the support hero's can do that type of thing...

Thanks,

Andy
    edited August 7, 2013
    Andy,
    I will try different options than galleries and see if that works.

Ideally, on the HOME page (which I have set up) I'd like a menu bar that has both Portfolio (then links to a page with just the portfolio images) and a link to Client Proofs or Client Galleries. That should link to a page that has the four top folders with an image representing them (I did figure out how to select the image). Then, clients can click there and sub folders should be visible and clients simply find their images.

Thanks for helping thus far!

Cindy
  • ghostwindsghostwinds Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    Hi Cindy, Im trying to set up a logo similar to your at the top of my page....but im having trouble finding a script font like that and then trying to pace "photography" below it in another font. Any guidance you can give me is appreciated. Im ready to leave SM here as we all have the same box of tools and it seems these sites are just turning out to be cookie cutter duplicates of each other now. Seriously disappointed in trying to make my site look distinct. ghostwinds.com Do I need to unveil for you to see?
    Thank You!

Crystal
    www.ghostwinds.com
    edited August 7, 2013
    Okay, getting closer! Here's what I have for my Client Galleries page so far. I'd like them to be on one row and still be this size, but I don't know how to make that happen.
    What I NEED is the capability for clients to click on the folder and it open up to the sub folders. Any ideas on that one?

o5w8.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com
    edited August 7, 2013
    My brain hurts. I should just pay to have this done!

Okay, I ended up adding navigation bar above these images that links to the folders. That worked to an extent. Now when I hover over weddings, it shows a list of all the wedding folders. HOWEVER, when I over over portraits - which has sub folders and more folders within those, it doesn't want to link. Am I going to have to create another page with sub navigation bars?
    edited August 7, 2013
    When I click on the gallery image, it does go to another page, but not the page I want. However, I don't see a way to change the navigation options.
    edited August 7, 2013
    My brain hurts. I should just pay to have this done!

Okay, I ended up adding navigation bar above these images that links to the folders. That worked to an extent. Now when I hover over weddings, it shows a list of all the wedding folders. HOWEVER, when I over over portraits - which has sub folders and more folders within those, it doesn't want to link. Am I going to have to create another page with sub navigation bars?

The new system is a big shift, that's for sure! I wish SM would have anticipated this and either launched with an awesome How-To tutorial or give us the ability to view non-unveiled sites to assist others as needed. I know that the more I've worked on it the better I've become at getting it to do what I want, and others have had similar experiences -- so keep at it!

You shouldn't need to create another page with sub-nav, I think maybe you can check on the configuration of the Portraits link, it won't show "children" unless you have the Include Folder Contents option turned On.

Tweaking the width so you can have more columns of icons isn't too difficult, you would start with the Layout tab of the particular page you are working on (Just This Page) and in there you can choose a Layout of Stretchy or Fixed and adjust the body section width accordingly.

Andy
    edited August 12, 2013
    Andy, thanks so very much. I'm still playing, as I find the time! The problem is, my legacy site is not functioning as it should be. Seems clients are only seeing boxes instead of images. So, I need to make this transition quickly.