Options

Be able to have unlisted galleris' photos appear

TimmyTimmy Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited August 12, 2013 in SmugMug Feature Requests
In the old SmugMug we were able to have unlisted galleries and then enable those photos elsewhere, either on our SmugMug site or other sites. Now with the new SmugMug we can't do this. I want an about photo on my bio page, but I don't want a public gallery of pictures of just me for all my visitors to see. Please, fix this!

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Timmy wrote: »
    In the old SmugMug we were able to have unlisted galleries and then enable those photos elsewhere, either on our SmugMug site or other sites. Now with the new SmugMug we can't do this. I want an about photo on my bio page, but I don't want a public gallery of pictures of just me for all my visitors to see. Please, fix this!
    External linking must be on in any gallery for the thumbs/photos to show on any other page or site.

Make sure it's on in the unlisted gallery. Looks like they might call it this now.
    External Embedding

Customize > Gallery settings > security
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    TimmyTimmy Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    Thanks, but unfortunately that will not fix it. I talked with one of the heros and they said "You are correct - Unlisted galleries cannot be the host of public photos on your site. You will need to put those photos into public galleries. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If you feel this should be different please feel free to add your feedback to our feature request page on Dgrin. "
    Allen wrote: »
    External linking must be on in any gallery for the thumbs/photos to show on any other page or site.

Make sure it's on in the unlisted gallery. Looks like they might call it this now.
    External Embedding

Customize > Gallery settings > security
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    Thanks, but unfortunately that will not fix it. I talked with one of the heros and they said "You are correct - Unlisted galleries cannot be the host of public photos on your site. You will need to put those photos into public galleries. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. If you feel this should be different please feel free to add your feedback to our feature request page on Dgrin. "
    Total garbage, we have to have somewhere to put "site files" for banners, etc.
    I linked my banner from an unlisted gallery. All my photos linked to forums are in an unlisted gallery.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited August 6, 2013
    ...I talked with one of the heros and they said "You are correct - Unlisted galleries cannot be the host of public photos on your site. You will need to put those photos into public galleries. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
    I publish photos from unlisted galleries on my blog all of the time. Those galleries allow external links and the photos display as expected.

Most of the photos in my blog are from listed galleries, but others are not. For example, this blog post shows a photo from an unlisted gallery - http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com/2013/07/bridge-grand-opening-ceremony-update.html.

--- Denise
  • Options
    sarahksarahk Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I agree. That behavior makes sense for a private gallery, but not for an unlisted gallery. An unlisted gallery really is available to the public, it's just not linked from your site.
  • Options
    edited August 6, 2013
    I have not seen any definition of "private" vs "unlisted" yet.
    I can't even find any link to Smugmug help pages?
  • Options
    dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013

That's not a correct statement at all. Many of us are using this feature currently and it works fine. Take a look here as an example on my Prints page. These are photos directly from an Unlisted Gallery: http://landandseaphoto.smugmug.com/Navigation/Prints/n-3BFHQ

As is this photo from an Unlisted gallery:

i-K4JxrR5-XL.jpg
  • Options
    OMMBoyOMMBoy Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2013
    I can't even find any link to Smugmug help pages?

I think "Private" refers to password-protected galleries while "Unlisted" is open to anyone with a direct link to the gallery but it isn't visible on the homepage (or wherever one displays their galleries).

Chris
    Runfola Photography

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE.
    Ernst Haas, 1985
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2013
    OMMBoy wrote: »
    I think "Private" refers to password-protected galleries while "Unlisted" is open to anyone with a direct link to the gallery but it isn't visible on the homepage (or wherever one displays their galleries).

Chris

I read somewhere that "Private" galleries can only be seen by the Owner, no matter what (i.e., even if someone else knows the URL). And can't every type of gallery be password protected?
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited August 7, 2013
    From the help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1229910-new-smugmug-what-are-the-gallery-level-privacy-settings-
    Top Secret, PRIVATE Pages

Private Galleries/Pages/Folders are TOTALLY private. They can ONLY be accessed by the logged in owner of the site. There is not a way to share a Private gallery.
    --- Denise
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2013
    Something like a "site files" gallery might fall into this but are photos embeddable elsewhere? Like banner photos?
  • Options
    DwayneCDwayneC Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Zenfolio....about to get really fed up with this bull !@#$%