Options

Good budget Macro

TobiasWTobiasW Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited August 13, 2013 in Accessories
First off, Hello. Joined awhile ago, and only recently started lurking around. Big fan of Smug Mug so thought I'd give this forum a go. Been taking pics for awhile, just bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D7000.

I was looking for some input on a good Macro lens. I have a 50 and 18-105mm.

Anyhow, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tobias

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited July 20, 2013
    It's hard to go too wrong with any true macro prime lens that does 1:1 imaging. I do appreciate the extra working distance afforded by a 100mm-ish focal length, in order to position light for the subject.

All that said, I got an older Tamron SP 90mm, f2.8 Macro and I truly enjoy it. Not terribly expensive but very capable. A little slow and noisy for some general photography, but works great for the intended macro usage as well as some portraiture, landscape and stitched landscape applications.

Already sharp at f2.8, by f5.6 it is one of the sharpest lenses I own.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ZBlackZBlack Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2013
    I'll second Ziggy's comments on the Tamron 90 2.8. I picked up a used one of the older model a couple months back and love it. If you haven't used a macro lens like I hadn't before getting it, having such a huge focus range is a bit strange, but awesome at the same time. Guess I should add in that I am also using this with a D7000.
  • Options
    photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2013
    i haven't used it personally, but i heard many many good things about the mentioned Tamron 90mm
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2013
    I that the kind of glass you would use to get those bug shots I see on here all the time?
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2013
    Thanks, I'll check that one out!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited July 22, 2013
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    I that the kind of glass you would use to get those bug shots I see on here all the time?

If your question is about using the Tamron SP 90mm, f2.8 Macro for bug photography, and lenses like it, yes, true macro lenses are often used for bugs.

Remember that we have a whole forum dedicated to macro photography:

http://dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23

Be sure to check the sticky posts at the top of the forum to get started.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2013
    Yes, a lens in the 90-105mm range would be a good choice. I've heard good things about the Tamron but have not used it. I shoot with Canon lenses, which is no help to you. However, one thing to consider is that simply buying a macro lens may not be enough to let you do what you want. I am not a gear-head, but macro is a demanding type of photography that often requires some extra equipment. Tiny amounts of motion matter in macro. As a result, a lot of macro work is done either with a tripod (or at least a monopod) or a flash to freeze motion. Some macro is done hand-held, but you need a lot of light to do it. You don't have to spend a fortune on any of this stuff, but it is not free. There are some postings on the macro forum here about DIY flash rigs, which can be quite cheap once you have a flash.

As Ziggy suggested, check out the stickies on the macro forum. They are excellent.
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2013
    before buying anything , budget or not ,
    you must consider what you want to do with it first of all

if your goal is to get real close , add a set of Kenko tubes to a macro lens plus some sort of flash and your on your way
    if your goal is the "bigger" subjects , like bees and flowers you just need the lens , nothing else

me . i like my Sigma 150 mm
    Nikkor 105 mm is also good
    IMO you can use any true macro lens you can effort

i never used a tripod for macro , its clumsy , but a flash is indeed handy and recommended for shots at or beyond 1:1
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2013
    Thanks again for the input! Not looking for anything closer than bee's and flowers so I think just the lens will suffice. I do like the idea of a longer focal length though.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2013
    TobiasW wrote: »
    ... I have a 50 and 18-105mm.

Depending on how keen you are to get into macro and how much 'macro' stuff you intend doing, I'd suggest you consider getting a set of extension tubes (as previously mentioned) ... but use them with your existing lenses.

Whilst a dedicated macro lens will invariably produce sharper results, using tubes with what you have (especially @ zoom's long end) will give you a flavour of what to expect.

Whilst being pedantic re the macro term (1:1) ... whenever you see a pic of something like a (complete) dragonfly in frame, this is nothing like 1:1 ... more like 1:4 or less, depending on composition.

To fill the frame in such a manner thus allows for other lenses (with tubes generally) to be used.

A set of tubes is unlikely to be a wasted expense imo, as they can be used with a wide variety of lenses - and there's a strong market if you decide to sell 'em :)

pp
  • Options
    time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2013
    check out the Tokina 100
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • Options
    roscowgoroscowgo Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2013
    Before you drop a lot of change on a dedicated macro lens, get a lens reversal ring for your 50.

With the basic 18-55 kit lens flipped around backwards. 6$ to see if you're interested is much better than a few hundred.

_MG_3402-L.jpg
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2013
    I've used the Tamron 90 for ages. Not only is it a superb macro lens, it is wonderful for portraits.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    i second that. could be worth a try.
    roscowgo wrote: »
    Before you drop a lot of change on a dedicated macro lens, get a lens reversal ring for your 50.

With the basic 18-55 kit lens flipped around backwards. 6$ to see if you're interested is much better than a few hundred.

_MG_3402-L.jpg
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    roscowgo wrote: »

Yes, worth a try but also worth remembering the issues associated with such a setup.

A cheap reversing ring won't transfer information between the body and lens, so the aperture has to be pre-set and will stay at that setting for the taken frame.

In practice this means that you'll either have to stop down the lens to the required aperture before the shot - and have a dimmer viewfinder image - or the opposite, use the lens wide(r) open, but not have the dof you'd perhaps prefer.

In some ways - imo - an old MF lens (with aperture ring) makes life slightly easier - especially with relatively static shots, since it lets you frame wide open, then you shut down (with appropriate exposure change) for the shot.

In earlier days, I adopted this latter approach with Canon FD macro lenses attached to various digital bodies via a home-made FD/EF converter. They weren't reverse mounted, but posed similar 'problems'.

All easier on a tripod, imo :)

Life / workflow with a 'proper' macro lens (or std lens + tubes) is much easier however.

pp