Options

HTML block editing is not smooth, very fiddly

denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
edited August 13, 2013 in Bug Reporting
Editing HTML blocks is very fiddly. It takes multiple tries to get the HTML entered as desired.

The editor automatically places the end tag which is not helpful, topic of feature request Add an "I don't want help" option to editing HTML.

Problem is this isn't just an annoyance. I added a <b> tag for the text inside of an <a href= element. Sometimes I was able to click in the editor and use the delete key to remove the misplaced </b> tag. Sometimes clicking just before the </b> and using the delete key stared deleting characters in a different part of the HTML block.

If I position the cursor in the HTML block, that's where it should be. And more often than not when I start typing or using the delete key I find it is someplace else entirely.

Am I alone in this problem?

--- Denise

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2013
    If I position the cursor in the HTML block, that's where it should be. And more often than not when I start typing or using the delete key I find it is someplace else entirely.

Am I alone in this problem?

--- Denise
    No, not alone, I find that many times I have a problem placing my cursor and have to be really aware where it is.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited August 10, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    No, not alone, I find that many times I have a problem placing my cursor and have to be really aware where it is.
    Glad to hear you've experienced this too. Even when I am aware of where the cursor is - I click directly in the edit box - that spot is apparently not where it is. Very frustrating...

--- Denise
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Apparently they use too much of client javascript to control the HTML/CSS editing blocks:) Maybe SM should go just adapt 100% no javascript policy all together?:)

On a serious note - I do agree this behavior is not helpful at all. I also noticed that the HTML/CSS editing blocks are a bit small for my personal taste. If possible (certainly it is not a priority!) can these blocks be made re-sizable, please?
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2013
    mishenka wrote: »
    ... I also noticed that the HTML/CSS editing blocks are a bit small for my personal taste....
    On my html only pages using an html block I increased the edit box size using this CSS. Had to adjust
    to fit my window, 24" monitor. Added to "this page only" CSS.
    .sm-overlay-container .sm-page-widget-inspector-panel {
      width: 920px!important;
    }

.sm-page-widget-inspector-panel .sm-panel-content .sm-tabs-content {
      height:[COLOR="Yellow"] 600[/COLOR]px!important;
      width: 920px;
    }

.sm-page-widget-inspector-panel .sm-panel-content .sm-tabs-content .CodeMirror {
      height: [COLOR="Yellow"]500[/COLOR]px!important;
    }

The two yellow heights need to be adjusted together so the cancel and Done buttons show at
    the bottom of the window. These heights seem to need to be about 100px apart.
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2013
    Great idea. Thanks Allen!
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2013
    I've had the HTML lock up many times this morning. Continue or stop script message.
  • Options
    olliolli Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    I've had a major problem with the html block screwing up my code. Specifically when I place the closing p tag </p> at the end of the paragraph in any paragraph with a link <a> tag, at some point SM arbitrarily relocates the </p> to a point immediately before the <a> tag. You can see this on the page at http://www.photographybyolli.com/Blog/July-2013. The second entry (23 July) is how text should look. Every other entry has been affected by this problem - note the difference between paragraphs with links and those without. I notice that Michael Bonocore's own SM site has the same problem - see http://www.mb-photography-sf.com/Blog/A-Photographer-In-Cambodia-

This is a major failing. Not only is there no built in blog support but the workaround isn't usable. Given this and the problems with the text editor I can't help thinking that these particular elements of new smugmug were rushed out without proper testing.