Options

580ex II misfires

BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
edited August 13, 2013 in Cameras
So I bought a used 580EX II on ebay. Having issues with misfires. Have read about the 580EX II issues and loose wires/connection in foot but it is displaying focus assist light which leads me to believe it is something else. Another reason to suspect a different issue is the unit also misfires when the pilot light on the flash is pushed. Also doesn't display the flash confirmation light.

Any ideas? Other than Canon is there any reliable place to send these units for repair?
Greg
"Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Comments

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Bodley wrote: »
    So I bought a used 580EX II on ebay. Having issues with misfires. Have read about the 580EX II issues and loose wires/connection in foot but it is displaying focus assist light which leads me to believe it is something else. Another reason to suspect a different issue is the unit also misfires when the pilot light on the flash is pushed. Also doesn't display the flash confirmation light.

Any ideas? Other than Canon is there any reliable place to send these units for repair?

Yep, you have issues. Why wouldn't you want to send the unit to Canon...the guys most likely to give the best service...with the most knowledgeable techs...with access to the best resources. After all, they did engineer and build the flash...

When I buy top-of the-line equipment, I send it to the factory for repair, whenever possible.

Bad contacts, loose wire, bad circuit board, bad battery connections...charging system...weak cap...strobe contacts may have coroded...who knows what else could be causing issues. Or, any combination of the above and other things.

After 30 years if trouble shooting electronic systems, I've learned one thing...nothing is as simple as it's described on the trouble ticket. And, never take anyone's word for it.

Just FYI.

And, I'm not saying that there isn't anyone out there that can do a good job...but, I'll also bet that the difference in service charge is negligible. When the unit has been back and forth three times for the same problem, who's most likely to do the right thing and rip it apart and put in all new parts to satisfy their customer base...at no extra charge...Canon, with enough overhead that they can absorb the cost, or some third part vendor...my money is on Canon.

I'm not being condescending...just offering you the best alternative as per my experience.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Yep, you have issues. Why wouldn't you want to send the unit to Canon...the guys most likely to give the best service...with the most knowledgeable techs...with access to the best resources. After all, they did engineer and build the flash...

I have nothing against Canon working on my gear - Just dropped $1,000 plus for them to work on two lenses and a body (should get them back this week clap.gif ). Just not sure I can afford their rates on an iffy ebay purchase. If I knew the history of the unit it would be different.

Thanks for the suggestion
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"